Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Once Prop 8 makes it to the SCOTUS on the merits, today's decision will likely result in it's being overturned. Till then it stands.
Wrong, the lower court declared it unconstitutional. H8 is gone for good.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Start paying taxes on your clubhouses, and you'll have a financial argument. Until you start giving unto Caesar what is Caesar's, stay out of matters of state.
This.

You dont get to be the moral, and legal, authority in America whilst not paying any taxes whatsoever. The same people who labast illegal immigrants for using a system they dont pay into.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
And SCOTUS tacitly said that states are still allowed to discriminate if they so choose. All those constitutional bans stand.
I agree, it didn't go far enough, but that said, all those state bans aren't going to last.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
You - you have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Two lower courts turned down Prop 8, but its backers kept appealing. Today the Supremes found that the backers of Prop 8 had no standing to defend it in Federal court. This means that the Lower Court ruling stands. The Lower Court that, to recap, found against Prop 8.

Prop 8 is dead.
But the ruling on DOMA made it very clear that states are free to establish their own rules for marriage. This will of course encourage someone to re-write Prop 8 using different verbage and then have it rechallenged, and possibly held up the next time by the Supreme Court as ok since the states can decide for themself.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But the ruling on DOMA made it very clear that states are free to establish their own rules for marriage. This will of course encourage someone to re-write Prop 8 using different verbage and then have it rechallenged, and possibly held up the next time by the Supreme Court as ok since the states can decide for themself.
A new proposition would have to go before the voters. No way in hell would a new Prop 8 pass again. It's dead. D-E-A-D.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Start paying taxes on your clubhouses, and you'll have a financial argument. Until you start giving unto Caesar what is Caesar's, stay out of matters of state.
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
A new proposition would have to go before the voters. No way in hell would a new Prop 8 pass again. It's dead. D-E-A-D.
You guys said it wouldnt pass the first time...

They voted for it before, and now with the Supreme Court ruling marriage is a state issue, that the federal government must recognize, I expect it to push forward the opponents of gay marriage to try to write legislation on a state by state basis to ban it.

To pretend the issue is dead is completely ridiculous.. on both sides of the aisle.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Michele Bachmann:

"Marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted."

Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course, in 2013 (and in the future), the demographics and acceptance of marriage equality (especially in California) create an environment in which it is unlikely a ban will be passed. This isn't 2004 anymore. Sure...maybe in Mississippi or Oklahoma...but it will eventually be accepted near universally.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
I don't appreciate MY money being used to kill ANYONE, Americans, Syrians, Iraqis, Afghans, Libyans, ANYONE. (Well, maybe Canadians.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies