Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pretty much every modern study in the history of this topic has shown conclusive evidence that atheists are not only more intelligent but (drum role) less likely to commit crime.
ROTFLMAO!

It's drum roll, genius. And citing a prison survey as "proof" that atheists are MORE ethical than people of faith is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
LOL, I really don't understand why kids need to be sheltered so much?

I mean I know conservatives and liberals alike have issues.

But why not just teach people's beliefs, their differences, their commonalities, etc... So a kid can choose for themself what to believe, and at the very least be aware and understanding of others and their beliefs.

We love to teach other cultures, etc... but we don't seem to want to teach any of the religion, or hell even lack of Atheism.

offhand is Atheism a religion?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would like to see the entire poem that this 6 year old wrote.
Why?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
LOL, I really don't understand why kids need to be sheltered so much?

I mean I know conservatives and liberals alike have issues.

But why not just teach people's beliefs, their differences, their commonalities, etc... So a kid can choose for themself what to believe, and at the very least be aware and understanding of others and their beliefs.

We love to teach other cultures, etc... but we don't seem to want to teach any of the religion, or hell even lack of Atheism.

offhand is Atheism a religion?
Do you really want elementary schools teaching religion ? That's an awful idea.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
ROTFLMAO!

It's drum roll, genius. And citing a prison survey as "proof" that atheists are MORE ethical than people of faith is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen.

Seriously? Pointing to an obvious homophonic mistake that is VERY common is your way of dismissing the person's argument?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Seriously? Pointing to an obvious homophonic mistake that is VERY common is your way of dismissing the person's argument?
You know, when you got nothing else....

It's always the same on CD: "I want to see proof!"

Survey is provided: "Surveys are meaningless."

Statistics are provided: "Statistics are manipulated."

Published studies are listed: "They are from brainwashed liberal sources."

FBI data are posted: "These data don't acknowledge that.....(insert argument of your choice here)."

Bottom line, some people cannot wrap their minds around information that is contradictory to their ingrained and self-sustaining beliefs.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
It's a matter of the culture of this country being destroyed. Comparisons to what Americans would do if "Allah" were used rather than "God," and how conservatives would be outraged, how do you know that in some school somewhere in this country a poem wasn't read by a Mulim student and he/she used "Allah" without an outrage? You don't...
You can deny it all you like, but you and I both know that there would be droves us religious conservatives shouting to the rafters if their poor little Johnnies and Suzies were forced to listen to a poem that referenced Allah.

Again, we see this type of behavior right here in P&OC on City-Data every day.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
...offhand is Atheism a religion?

Nope. Is a lack of belief in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster a religion.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You can deny it all you like, but you and I both know that there would be droves us religious conservatives shouting to the rafters if their poor little Johnnies and Suzies were forced to listen to a poem that referenced Allah.

Again, we see this type of behavior right here in P&OC on City-Data every day.

I agree. There is certainly a faction of Christians that only want tolerance for themselves. When it comes to other beliefs/non-beliefs there is NO tolerance. But not all Christians feel this way.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

When the argument is by an atheist pounding their chest about how much smarter and more ethical atheists are than people of faith, why yes, yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies