Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,158,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I work for a civil engineering firm and we are going to do some of the restoration work. The counties have 60 days from the date of the storm to submit their necessary repair work and costs to FEMA. 60 days.

THEN the work can begin.

Please don't talk about things you have no knowledge of.

I live in Mercer County, which was not too badly hit, and we STILL have trees down and branches piled up waiting to be picked up. Counties and Townships do that work, NOT FEMA.

Do you know, in New Jersey alone, 100,000 trees were knocked down.
So what you are referring to is the RED TAPE Obama promised to cut through. Why shouldn't devastated Counties be able to submit the necessary repair work PRIOR to 60 days so work can begin? Then of course we need the Army Corps of Engineers and the EPA and the DEC to all be involved when the road abuts wetlands. What about small incorporated villages serviced by County roads? Yeah, we still have HUGE piles of downed trees and branches all over the place. I thought Asplundh worked with LIPA to remove the tree debris, but I guess I was wrong. Where is an estimate for the number of trees knocked down on LI? Because I can tell you within a 5 square mile area, there are thousands down around me.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,460,144 times

This Sandy storm will get me votes from fools that will BELIEVE ANYTHING I say.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,625,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
So what you are referring to is the RED TAPE Obama promised to cut through. Why shouldn't devastated Counties be able to submit the necessary repair work PRIOR to 60 days so work can begin? Then of course we need the Army Corps of Engineers and the EPA and the DEC to all be involved when the road abuts wetlands. What about small incorporated villages serviced by County roads? Yeah, we still have HUGE piles of downed trees and branches all over the place. I thought Asplundh worked with LIPA to remove the tree debris, but I guess I was wrong. Where is an estimate for the number of trees knocked down on LI? Because I can tell you within a 5 square mile area, there are thousands down around me.
No, not at all. Can you walk or drive through an area that got hit by the storm and immediately come up with an estimate for the damage? Can you then write a report, with photographs, outlining the costs to repair a roadway, a bridge, a seawall, a boardwalk? It cannot be just an 'estimate' or your gut feeling. Those repairs are detailed down to the amount of asphalt, rip-rap, fill, etc. and their costs.

Trust me, 60 days IS streamlined. And OF COURSE counties CAN submit their estimates PRIOR to 60 days; no one said they cannot.

If you had any knowledge of the engineering field you would not be saying what you're saying.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,158,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, not at all. Can you walk or drive through an area that got hit by the storm and immediately come up with an estimate for the damage? Can you then write a report, with photographs, outlining the costs to repair a roadway, a bridge, a seawall, a boardwalk? It cannot be just an 'estimate' or your gut feeling. Those repairs are detailed down to the amount of asphalt, rip-rap, fill, etc. and their costs.

Trust me, 60 days IS streamlined. And OF COURSE counties CAN submit their estimates PRIOR to 60 days; no one said they cannot.

If you had any knowledge of the engineering field you would not be saying what you're saying.
As a matter of fact, the particular road I mentioned has been slated and debated for reconstruction for many, many, years. So now they HAVE to fix it because it is impassable and undermined in many sections. The plans have LONG been in existence.

West Shore Road project to move forward

Note: date of article - 4/13/12

July 30th, 2012:

Quote:
A project to reconstruct a deteriorating road along Oyster Bay Harbor that seemed destined for quick approval by Nassau County has been stalled by questions about who owns the roadway and the crumbling seawall that supports it.
A $7.97-million contract for the first of three phases of reconstruction of the 2-mile-long West Shore Road in Mill Neck, along with a $771,000 contract for construction management and a $253,368 contract for construction inspection, were pulled from the county legislature's agenda last week by Presiding Officer Peter Schmitt.
Schmitt cited a still-unanswered question raised at a hearing last fall by an assistant county attorney about whether the seawall was on county property or belonged to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which owns the adjacent Oyster Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
"Why would the county be fixing it if it's the federal government's?" Schmitt spokeswoman Christina Brennan asked. "Why is the county attorney's office not following up?"
November 14th, 2012

Unfortunately, Mangano's "order" provides little comfort for the residents of Bayville, Centre Island and Mill Neck who are impacted. I really don't appreciate your condescending tone as though I am some sort of idiot who doesn't understand construction or engineering. While I am not an engineer, I know RED TAPE when I see it, and this is the reddest of red tape.

Last edited by ObserverNY; 12-01-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,625,199 times
Quote:
As a matter of fact, the particular road I mentioned has been slated and debated for reconstruction for many, many, years. So now they HAVE to fix it because it is impassable and undermined in many sections. The plans have LONG been in existence.

West Shore Road project to move forward
Then, you are in luck. Most of the information needed to reconstruct the road is already done (if the info is not too old). Costs will have to be updated, and any environmental changes that may have occurred would have to be noted and changes made to the plans, if necessary.

Now it is up to YOUR COUNTY officials to get that info to FEMA.

EDIT: I just saw the date of the article.

EDIT 2: FEMA will pay for damage to the existing roadway as it was right before the storm, not for the planned $30M construction noted in the article.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Lying Obama Giving The Middle Class Sandy Storm Victims The Royal Finger

What happened to clown Obozo's pledge of 'no red tape'?

And most of the Sandy storm victims voted for the scumbag. I guess it serves them right...
Where are all those people who believe in helping with their free will? Now is their chance to preempt the government and show that free will giving works better than forced government giving.

Where is Romney with his food collection drive? Where is Ryan when he could be washing dishes at a soup kitchen for these victims?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I do. And I'm on the north shore of LI which wasn't as badly hit as the south shore and those folks in Staten Island. Obama is a lying POS and flew in and flew out for his photo op.

It is now 60 days 32 days since the storm hit. There are still huge piles of trees on every roadside, some people STILL don't have power and in my case, the main road into our village was washed out and no work has begun to repair it. Our little local businesses are totally screwed.

But then again, we're mostly white people. Why should a black President care about us?
If those businesses "did build it," why don't those businesses build it again?

WeDidBuildIt.com | by Reagan.com

Last edited by jojajn; 12-01-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,426,996 times
Default Lying Obama Giving Middle Class Sandy Storm Victims The Royal Finger

Quote:
Lying Obama Giving The Middle Class Sandy Storm Victims The Royal Finger

What happened to clown Obozo's pledge of 'no red tape'?

And most of the Sandy storm victims voted for the scumbag. I guess it serves them right...

DEEP psychosis.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
60 days 32 days without anything happening for some folks, is "overnight"? We're being told it will take a MINIMUM of 9 months before the main road into my village is repaired. (It is a County road). If the government is telling us a minimum of 9 months, you can bet your Obama dollar it will be at least 2-3 years before it's done. If ever. But, as I said before, it's all white folks around here. We should be able to re-build our own seawalls and county roads by ourselves, right?

Spare us the photo ops and CUT THE RED TAPE LIKE YOU PROMISED Obama! The National Flood Insurance program doesn't have enough money to pay out all of the claims! Homeowners in flood prone areas PAID their premiums every year, but now .gov, which never should have gotten into the insurance business in the first place, can't fulfill its policies.

But hey, Obama's dog handler gets paid over $100,000 a year. That makes things all better for families who have nowhere to live as Christmas approaches.
New Orleans is still in the process of rebuilding after Katrina which hit 7 years ago! What did your Republican president do about that?

New Orleans' Lower Ninth: Still Recovering from Katrina - Katrina: Five Years After - TIME

Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,426,996 times
Thumbs up Four more years

Quote:

This Sandy storm will get me votes from fools that will BELIEVE ANYTHING I say.

Embrace the progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.