Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Furthermore, the Torah forbids converting; but I know Christians conveniently ignore or accept whichever of the original passages meet their agenda.
It's not a converstion from anything. It's merely realizing that Jesus is the Messiah promised by the Jewish scriptures via various prophets, Isaiah being the most quoted. He IS the Jewish Messiah, G-d on earth so people could see G-d in a way it was impossible to look on Him in the days of old.

Hudreds of thousands of Jews have come to that realization, still preserving their traditions, feasts and celebrations, being no less Jewish but not having to work at attaining forgiveness through keeping the Law (which, as you know, is impossible to keep).

I am part of a Messianic fellowship and it is a wonderful group of people, with a beautiful melding of old and new.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's not a converstion from anything. It's merely realizing that Jesus is the Messiah promised by the Jewish scriptures via various prophets, Isaiah being the most quoted. He IS the Jewish Messiah, G-d on earth so people could see G-d in a way it was impossible to look on Him in the days of old.

Hudreds of thousands of Jews have come to that realization, still preserving their traditions, feasts and celebrations, being no less Jewish but not having to work at attaining forgiveness through keeping the Law (which, as you know, is impossible to keep).

I am part of a Messianic fellowship and it is a wonderful group of people, with a beautiful melding of old and new.
And I'm glad you have found a denomination & faith that speaks to you, but it is one that I won't personally be adopting. Just curious (and you may have already told me), were you born a Jew?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So what? I grew up in NYC too. We even had some Jewish holidays off from school. Even with all that, nobody outlawed Christmas.

Wouldn't a place as diverse as the NY/NJ area be EXACTLY the place to be inclusive? 30% of the population is a lot. As in millions.

Why be an ass about it?
Of course it would. The OP chooses to live in one of the most religiously diverse places in the world and then whines incessantly about that diversity. I grew up in NYC as well. It was never an issue for my Christian family.

But then, we actually take the commandment to "love thy neighbor" seriously.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default Capture of Christmas

The real sin has been the Capture of Christmas not by the atheists but buy the God of Greed and his minions. First the Christians took over the pagan's winter solstice and Mammon stole it from the Christians.

I try to buy as little as possible during this season. I give to my friends over the Spring Equinox as a hope for the success of this year’s crops.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Point being, the pie graph is dumb and there are plenty of examples of a minority oppressing a majority: all I am saying.
And even more examples of majority oppression of the minority. You are sttempting to make a baseless point, and failing.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Every Atheist I know still celebrates Christmas.... minus the celebration of CHRIST.

It's a rip off of a pagan festival anyway, and has good memories, excuses for parties, get togethers and shopping, and emphasizes shiny things and lights. No church needed to celebrate.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

[quote=Nunnor;27181462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Sorry I meant to say that the Supreme Court ruled it constitutional.

A Jewish lawyer (here we go again) filed a law suit because he thought Christmas Day pay for federal employees was unconstitutional, and he got ruled against him

Court Decision - Ganulin v. United States

And Good Friday was also ruled constitutional....
Government Observance of Good Friday & Easter: Bridenbaugh v. O'Bannon

Another case...
Government Observance of Good Friday & Easter: Granzeier v. Middleton
Funny how it is after you get called out on your BS that you bother to do any research on the subject.

Forcing honesty on you actually results in a retraction, at least on this occasion. You ignore any of the other times you are called out. Once again, a biased tunnel vision way to live.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I never said I will complain to get them fired. I don't think anyone would get fired for that either.
I will tell them first to say Christmas instead, and if they ignore me or refuse, or tell me "what about the Jews", then I will complain to the store manager, and if he/she don't do anything about it, I'll go directly to corporate and let them know.
So as long as everyone does as YOU tell them to, you have no problem.

What a suprise.

Another example of your christian tolerance on display for all to see.

Whine and b**ch about someone who does not genuflect to your personal beliefs in an attempt to get them terminated all the while saying that you wouldn't do such a thing.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I never said I will complain to get them fired. I don't think anyone would get fired for that either.
I will tell them first to say Christmas instead, and if they ignore me or refuse, or tell me "what about the Jews", then I will complain to the store manager, and if he/she don't do anything about it, I'll go directly to corporate and let them know.
And if the employee happens to be Jewish? Really are minimum wage store associates now expected to discern the religious belief and preferences of everyone walking in who come to buy a bauble or snug? And you think you have the right to complain to a store manager if you are not addressed in the manner you see fit even if it was given in a polite manner?

It's people like you who are creating the backlash against "Christians" who insist that the world revolves around them and their religion. Most of us could not care less. That is something you will just have to live with.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
You should do some research. It is a problem. Its been a problem for the last few years and has been picking up steam. These special interest groups like Freedom from religion has challenged and successfully banned religious displays all across the country. Even nativity scenes. Its gotten to the point where children aren't even aloud to say God in school like the little girl in North Carolina. Schools across the country are even banning Christmas and teachers are being banned from telling children merry Christmas. At a post office, Christmas carolers were told to leave the post office because they were singing religious content, which was unconstitutional somehow. I kid you not, look the stuff up. Americans are loosing are freedoms and we don't even know it. Then when they are confronted they say "there is no war on Christmas, your making it up."

Speaking of "special interst groups", have you considered that these christians of whom you are so proud are, in fact, a "special interest group" intent on silencing any who dare not to bow to them as the final word on everything?

You should know the definitions of terms before you incorrectly use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies