Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Solution: Have official state religion, blasphemy law, and limit freedom of speech.
Works well in many European countries, that's why there are no war on Christmas and Christianity for the most part.
Did it really take 32 pages of posts for the OP to drop this bomb on the normal people that inhabit the CD forum?

It also works well in Middle East countries as well. That's why there are no Christians there (at least in the open).

Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Nunnor,

We are on the same side in terms of religion and Christmas but you are taking it way to far. Your call for a limit to freedom is speech is scary. Atheists/Agnostics have every right to speak publicly about their non-beliefs. Not everyone is religious or believes in God. We Christians want non-Christians to respect our beliefs and how we celebrate. The same should be required of us to respect their beliefs.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quite honestly Christmas to me is about one time out of tthe year where as a nation most of us take a time out from our busy work lives, from disagreements etc and spend a few moments with family and friends. It doesn't matter to me if some think of Christmas as Christ's birthday or if they deny Christ even existed. For children accross the nation Christmas is a day each year that gives them memories which will last a life time. How can this be a bad thing?
Religious decorations in public places? I would say that these decorations beat watching 5 men lean on a shovel while one works. It really is sad that the few seek to deny the many a simple pleasure of seeing traditional decorations during the holiday season.
Live and let live comes to mind. If you don't believe in Christmas then don't celebrate it. I am not jewish, but I would never even think about denying Jewish people their holiday. My family is Buddhist and I lean heavily in that direction myself, yet they all enjoy celebrating christmas.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Solution: Have official state religion, blasphemy law, and limit freedom of speech.
Works well in many European countries, that's why there are no war on Christmas and Christianity for the most part.
Just curious but were you born in one of those countries?
I cannot imagine any native-born American advocating for such a thing.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default War on Christmass?

I do not object to Christmas. Never have. Never will.

I object to the commercial Mammon worshipping blasphemy that Christmas has become. It is now a weak parody of an actual Christmas or even a solstice ritual welcoming the sun back to the sky.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
I do believe you're a ringer for the Freedom From Religion Foundation, sent here and maybe elsewhere, to cast the worst possible image on Christians.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I've been friends with several atheists over the years, and I found most of them to be relatively tolerant of holiday festivities and cheer. It seems to be the militant atheists that have the issues (and CD has its fair share). It must drive them completely ape sh*t to hear Christmas music in every store in the mall or wherever else they are shopping or doing whatever they do during the holiday season. The constant array of nativity figurines and decorations must drive them up a wall as well. If I was as angry as some of them seem to be about this time of the year, I'd probably barricade myself in the house until New Years.

Well... I'm not an atheist, but I can tell you that I am already annoyed with hearing Christmas music in every store that I've walked in since before Thanksgiving. At any rate, if these militant atheists (keyword is militant) are so butt hurt about it, they are free to not celebrate.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
I feel so sorry for Christians in American who must suffer constant persecution. It must so hard to live here and realize that others do not share your religion and do not wish to have your religion intrude on their lives. You poor, poor, sad little people. How do you ever survive?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Religion is used to make gays second class citizens, claim that women can naturally shut down rape, that the Earth is 7,000 years old, that there is no global warming, that man evolved from a rib, and that teachers need to lead students in prayer.

Then when Christmas come - the time we are supposed to celebrate Christianity - I am supposed to rush out, fight the traffic, fight the weather, and fight people so I can buy some useless Chinese trinket for someone.

Call me old fashioned and a secularist, but I like spending time with loved ones. Unlike Christians, I don't require the unnecessary banter and charades. Most importantly, I don't use my worldview to attack women and make second class citizens out of people who have a different lifestyle than me, along with attacking science.

Only if you're a religious nut job! But given that there are numerous different versions of Christianity, you're going to get a bit of hypocrisy. Considering I wasn't "indoctrinated" into a religious background, and though I've always had faith, I've always felt the "message" was much simpler.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The solution is to ratify our Constitution, and take away one of the nation's most basic principles? No thanks. I will repeat this quote now:

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Back then people were not against Christianity, and fought for other reasons.

Anyone who disagree with having blasphemy law is just happy and enjoy the freedom of bashing and showing hatred towards the predominant religion in the country they live at. How nice!

Lincoln was one individual person anyway and do not speak for all Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies