Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it Be Legal to buy Alcohol and Tobacco with Food Stamps?
Yes 18 12.59%
No 123 86.01%
Unsure 2 1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,087,711 times

Advertisements

I had never thought much about it before, but today I drove by a beer and wine shop that had a big sign saying "we accept food stamps." This was very surprising and upsetting to me. In my opinion, food stamps should be there solely as a safety net to prevent people from starving, they shouldn't enable you to buy things that are not basic life necessities (i.e. luxuries). Luxuries should be something that one can only acquire if one has disposable income that comes from working and contributing to society. By allowing people these luxuries without working for them, you allow people to be comfortable on food stamps, and don't put pressure on them to get jobs and get off of them. If the government were to allow people to only buy the basic necessities with food stamps, the government would put pressure on people to get jobs in order to get what they want but cannot get. This seems relatively obvious to me, and I was somewhat appalled to find out that you can buy alcohol with food stamps. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 PM

11,146 posts, read 10,913,865 times
An astounding NO! I don't even think people should be allowed to buy junk food like chips, candy, and soda with welfare cards/stamps.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM

970 posts, read 2,204,323 times
You can't use them to buy alcohol and tobacco products. Look at the USDA website.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 PM

563 posts, read 804,529 times
Of course not, food stamps should only be used for fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,666,234 times
No

Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,356,525 times
I agree. Though I often side with the left, which it seems is the only side that chooses to assist the needy, I have often seen or heard about cases that show ... Sometimes in loud refrain, the amount of waste, and abuse of the system.

It's one of the things I hate about the right, which endorse a thing called "smaller government" and I feel the term should be "smarter and wiser government".

But I also hate the wastefulness and often thoughtless excesses of the left.

This is a small piece of why I pull my hair out at both sides, as they cannot reckon a meaningful and centered compromise in this nation's woes.

Alcohol? Hmmm - might be one reason somebody is unhireable.

Cigarettes? If you can't support yourself now, why should society add on your future healthcare bills?

I feel wholeheartedly that the safety met should be there and be strong for those who are in need. But the stupidity in it's current implementation is sometimes sickening.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,281,401 times
Milton Friedman showed long ago that the most effective form of welfare is a 'negative income tax,' i.e. give them the cash and let them decide how to dispose of it. Ironically the left now the new puritan, insisting on telling people how and on what they should dispose of their income.

Milton Friedman - The Negative Income Tax - YouTube

Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,819,398 times
I don't drink or smoke, so I sure don't want to buy that stuff for someone else..!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,454,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I had never thought much about it before, but today I drove by a beer and wine shop that had a big sign saying "we accept food stamps." This was very surprising and upsetting to me. In my opinion, food stamps should be there solely as a safety net to prevent people from starving, they shouldn't enable you to buy things that are not basic life necessities (i.e. luxuries). Luxuries should be something that one can only acquire if one has disposable income that comes from working and contributing to society. By allowing people these luxuries without working for them, you allow people to be comfortable on food stamps, and don't put pressure on them to get jobs and get off of them. If the government were to allow people to only buy the basic necessities with food stamps, the government would put pressure on people to get jobs in order to get what they want but cannot get. This seems relatively obvious to me, and I was somewhat appalled to find out that you can buy alcohol with food stamps. Thoughts?
You can't buy taxable items with food stamps, not even toilet paper.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,087,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You can't buy taxable items with food stamps, not even toilet paper.
This must be a state by state thing, because Minnesota for instances taxes food, but not clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies