Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't have a political agenda. I don't think guns are necessary for every day city life.

Also how can you compare a gun to a fork????!!!! Guns make killing much more easier and faster in a moment of rage when if one has time to think they might not do it especially if there is no immediate/fast method for the action (like having a gun handy).
I think you do, even if you won't admit it.

The people who use firearms every day across the country to defend themselves in the city would strongly disagree with you about their necessity. Firearms are used many times more often to defend than to murder, would you trade all those lives saved by the presence of a firearm for those murdered by them?

A fork may be an exaggeration but at close range, inside 21 feet, a knife is as dangerous if not more so than a gun. Those uninformed in self defense rarely believe it, but it's the truth, look up the Tueller drill and why police train it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
He would have just stabbed her, hit her with something, choked her or beat her to death.
Just like OJ did.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Quote:
Chiefs players commits suicide at team facility - chicagotribune.com

This is another sad story. Could gun control have at least prevented the murder? Without easy access to guns, domestic fights like this might not take a murderous turn.
Maybe he coulda used a butter knife. Which you think might have been more efficient? Or made less of a mess?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
I don't have a political agenda. I don't think guns are necessary for every day city life.

Also how can you compare a gun to a fork????!!!! Guns make killing much more easier and faster in a moment of rage when if one has time to think they might not do it especially if there is no immediate/fast method for the action (like having a gun handy).
It's fast and easy to push someone off the subway platform to. You cannot stop crazy....limiting rights is not the answer.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
If guns kill people,
then pencils mispell words,
cars make people drive drunk,
and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Chiefs J. Belcher kills girlfriend & commits suicide & Gun Control-gun-control-thcalslpwo.jpg

Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Just like OJ did.
Chris Benoit didn't need a gun either, but he killed his young son and his wife. Crazy is crazy.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The gun had nothing to do with his act. There were more effective tools in his residence.
What's "more effective" than a gun?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have owned a gun for over 30 years, have been involved in verbal altercations, and have even been seething mad. .... I don't own a gun to commit murder. I own a gun for self-defense, and in a life-threatening situation, I will not hesitate to use it.
Yet isn't that the case for everyone? Don't 99 % of people own a gun for self-defense in a life-threatening situation? Most people don't plan to go out and murder others with guns, yet they are used a lot more for suicide and homicide then they are self-defense. Probably a ratio of 100 to 1.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What's "more effective" than a gun?
At close range a butcher knife is much more effective... Causes a larger hole and creates much more potential for lacerating argeries.. A hammer can easily crush a scull. There are all kinds of things in a house that can be used that would be much more deadly than a gun. In particular at close range.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yet isn't that the case for everyone? Don't 99 % of people own a gun for self-defense in a life-threatening situation? Most people don't plan to go out and murder others with guns, yet they are used a lot more for suicide and homicide then they are self-defense. Probably a ratio of 100 to 1.
I would think more people own guns for hunting than for self defense, PA, opening day hunting season usually has a million hunters in the woods. All with large guns much more effective than a pistol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies