Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A couple of things, sir:
I'm a woman, actually... so that's "ma'am" to you.

Quote:
1) first, no one said Filipinas or Asian women are dumb, but they are generally less mercurial than a white European woman, therefore easier to manage and less of a problem for the castration-anxious Jewish male depicted in Woody Allen-dom or Richard Roth novels. Filipana and Asian women are generally very good at academic and professional work. The other thing is that namby-pamby SF and the Bay Area would probably pooh-pooh one if they asserted they did not date interracially. Sorry, it's about whose thighs one chooses to place themselves between, so it's not something for Bay Area liberals to opine. I have a Jewish friend in the Bay Area who did NOT care for the attention from Asian women, and he found his Jewish wife via J-date.
More stereotyping, most of which is certainly not the norm... I live in the Bay Area and am part of these cultures, so why are you trying to educate me on my life? Weird.

Quote:
2) if the math isn't it in your favor, it doesn't mean you should capitulate to it, either. I have friends who are a Creole-Colombian couple who have tried to repeatedly hook me up with Colombian women. They are not Americanized enough for my taste, so I pass each and every time. Don't want their relatives,their annoying accent, and the "fiesta" South American lifestyle/values in my home. Easy "math," but I'm NOT interested.
That's your preference, and nobody is telling you to change it. But again, you are making assumptions based on stereotypes... just because the math affects the outcome, that doesn't mean it was done to "capitulate" anything. It's a simple matter of meeting more people of a certain group, and thus increasing the likelihood you will fall for one. If you were surrounded by one race day in & day out, wouldn't you eventually come across one you found attractive? Maybe I just don't get the mindset of somebody who divides by race, but to me it sounds like a logical outcome.

Now if somebody truly does care about dating/marrying within their race, of course you can go on jDate (or the equivalent) to target your group... my step-sisters both did that (one just married her match), because they are much more religious than my biological siblings & I were raised. So to them it wasn't so much about attraction, as it was about finding somebody who shares their religious beliefs and practices. To each his/her own, and I don't consider one scenario any better or more valid than the other. Personally I have dated BOTH within and outside of my race, so it really doesn't matter to me!

Quote:
3) there ARE stereotypes about interracial dating. My Creole friend in (2) didn't want a Colombian woman. He wanted a blonde. He then did a candid assessment and figured that's the best he was going to do. He was right. And she's his worst nightmare. All of the steamrollers in that family have either divorced or have seriously unhappy husbands.
I didn't need Scooby Doo to solve that mystery... of course some stereotypes are true, but they're called generalizations for a reason. But there are always many exceptions, and if you spend enough time with a variety of people, those exceptions usually become more of the rule.

P.S. What's a "steamroller?" I may not have even addressed this point correctly, since I just realized I don't understand that term.

Quote:
4) I have seen white girls end up with black men for the wrong reasons: a) perceived defiance/danger, b) a way to rebel at their parents (I knew of one case like this, she was from Denver), and c) last but not least, the "stereotype."
I actually AM a white girl who dates black men (not exclusively, but my usual first preference), and I don't fit any of your stereotypes... well, I admit to being aware of the last one, but it certainly hasn't been my reason for choosing them.

Why do I most often date black men? I dunno, because I think they're attractive? Never really thought about it, they just seem to be who I generally go "mmmm" over. Just today I saw the most handsome and TALL (I'm talking around 7ft) Black man at work, where I'm used to seeing mostly White & Asian people... I got so distracted as he was walking past, I momentarily forgot I was helping another patron. Couldn't help it, didn't think about why, it was just a natural hormonal reaction.

Can you explain why you like certain women, or is it just an innate preference (even within the same race)? Are you also the type who believes gay people choose their attractions?

Quote:
While interracial dating is NOT the norm, increasing it will accomplish nothing. What it might do is create kids who have cognitive dissonance. The mixed race kids I knew growing up in LA certainly had it. And, lastly, caving in to someone's expectations of political correctness is the LAST reason to pick a spouse/mate. That's right ... the Bay Area and SoCal don't belong in the same sentence, because the former is about "gotta love everybody" and the latter is about "s crew you, I'll do what I want."
There will be certain challenges related to biracial heritage, but those are lessening with each generation as we become more diverse & blended as a nation. Every child has their challenges, though, and with loving parent/s they can easily be overcome (even positive). I know many bi/multiracial people who don't have any issues with it, and grew up just fine. So again, you are basing your perceptions mostly on stereotypes.

Oh yeah, and I don't give a flying spit about being "PC!" Outside of this forum (due to TOS) and work, I'm just about the opposite of politically correct... I am still respectful and non-judgmental when it matters, but will also be the first to laugh at horribly inappropriate ethnic & sexual humor. So while I can't speak for everyone in the Bay Area, I have to repeat the sentiments above on this.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-03-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I actually AM a white girl who dates black men
Get it girl. I ain't mad at you.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, and I don't give a flying spit about being "PC!" Outside of this forum (due to TOS regulations) and work, I'm just about the opposite of politically correct... I am still respectful and non-judgmental when it matters, but will also be the first to laugh at horribly inappropriate ethnic & sexual humor. So while I can't speak for everyone in the Bay Area, I have to repeat the sentiments above on this.
Neither do I. However, friends who present non-white European women to me as possibles, especially with kids, can expect an unloading from me. They know my parameters fairly quickly, and I view it as a trespassing of boundaries and a lack of respect. Interracial dating does not work for me. I have never done it because I don't see any point in wasting time. And, yes, people can do what they want and, yes, I love the raunchiest of ethnic and sexual humor. Where's Lisa Lampanelli when you need her?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Get it girl. I ain't mad at you.
LOL.

Thankfully most people around here don't care, and even when I lived in the more conservative Central Valley, I never caught slack for this! People are just people when it really comes down to it, and I'm glad I wasn't taught to eliminate potential friends or partners based on skin color... otherwise, I would have missed out on knowing some really cool folks.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Neither do I. However, friends who present non-white European women to me as possibles, especially with kids, can expect an unloading from me. They know my parameters fairly quickly, and I view it as a trespassing of boundaries and a lack of respect. Interracial dating does not work for me. I have never done it because I don't see any point in wasting time.
How do you know it "doesn't work for you" if you've never done it? I don't care if you have or haven't, that just seems like a contradictory statement... it would be like me saying "bananas don't work for me, but I've never actually tried one."

Regardless, you are free to date or not date whomever you choose - and yes, your friends should know and respect that. As long as you're not judging others for their preferences, it matter little to me personally. But do you really think this deeply about everyone's ethnicity? I'm not going to say I don't notice anyone's race/heritage, I just don't sit there and contemplate every related implication. Romantic & sexual attractions really shouldn't be all that complicated, ya know?

Quote:
And, yes, people can do what they want and, yes, I love the raunchiest of ethnic and sexual humor. Where's Lisa Lampanelli when you need her?
I love her... (and here's where I was going to paste a YouTube clip, but nothing I could find was PG-13 enough for this site)

Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
LOL.

Thankfully most people around here don't care, and even when I lived in the more conservative Central Valley, I never caught slack for this! People are just people when it really comes down to it, and I'm glad I wasn't taught to eliminate potential friends or partners based on skin color... otherwise, I would have missed out on knowing some really cool folks.

most people dont care. the ones that do are jealous.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
most people dont care. the ones that do are jealous.
No doubt! I certainly don't spend my time worrying about other people's relationships, so I'm guessing they just need more love in their lives. Dawwwww.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Would it end racism? Of course not. In fact, it would likely cause more racism, not less, and you'd likely see a rise in hate crimes.

when I lived in KCMO in the 1990's, my girlfriend was african american. she and I did not get racism from white people, she and I got racism most from african american males.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
How do you know it "doesn't work for you" if you've never done it?
How very, very, very Bay Area of you. If I'm not facially attracted, then it doesn't work. That's the first thing I notice.

Story:
I once walked into an Indian restaurant off Shattuck Ave in Berkeley CA to get directions for the main P.O. I walked in, asked the proprietor for the directions, and was turning pale from holding my breath. Therefore, if I found the strong smell repulsive, does that mean I am a racist because I won't eat Indian food? No.

Believe me, I've gotten attacked for having a bland taste palette, too.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Dating inter-racially I have experienced more racism from thuggish type black males than any white people. Don't really care though, but the instances with the thuggish type guys were very aggressive and almost had to fight my way out once. They were barking at the girl I was with, because she was light skinned and looks mixed (she was black, but had some cherokee indian blood a few generations back).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies