Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,850,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Excuse me but I haven't heard one single plan from the Republicans. Why don't you fill us in.
The Republicans are waiting for President Obama to tell them what the Republican demands for cuts are, because apparently they don't know what they want (or more likely, lack the courage to actually put their ideas on the table). Their plan is to let Obama negotiate both sides for the GOP so they can then lay the entire result on the president. The problem for Republicans is that president isn't playing their game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Republicans are waiting for President Obama to tell them what the Republican demands for cuts are, because apparently they don't know what they want (or more likely, lack the courage to actually put their ideas on the table). Their plan is to let Obama negotiate both sides for the GOP so they can then lay the entire result on the president. The problem for Republicans is that president isn't playing their game.
I think you are right. They are afraid to say that they want cuts in Medicare or to raise the eligibility age - because that won't be popular. So, while they want it ~ they don't have the guts to say what they want.

They are afraid to propose any changes to SS - because, again, it won't be popular.

I think you are exactly right. They want the President to formulate their demands for them - because they don't have the balls to do it themselves.

Republican cowards - still hiding behind Norquist.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM

10,823 posts, read 14,898,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Tax rates are lower than what they were under Republican demi god Reagan. The Bush tax cuts which are costing trillions of dollars were supposed to be temporary anyway. What's the hold up here.
And tell me, oh brilliant one, what is it exactly you expect to gain by "taxing the rich"?

See the green sliver?

It's exactly like arguing over a single deck chair on the Titanic.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 AM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
But only due to gerrymandering as anyone with half a brain knows. Dems actually got more votes in the House and the only reason the dems don't control the house is because Republicans have rigged the game. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Given the magnitude of the historic 2010 seat change, some bounce back was to be expected, but getting Americans to go back to the days of Speaker Peliso just ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,394,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think you are right. They are afraid to say that they want cuts in Medicare or to raise the eligibility age - because that won't be popular. So, while they want it ~ they don't have the guts to say what they want.

They are afraid to propose any changes to SS - because, again, it won't be popular.

I think you are exactly right. They want the President to formulate their demands for them - because they don't have the balls to do it themselves.

Republican cowards - still hiding behind Norquist.
The House of Representatives presented budgets year after year that provide detailed blueprints for their plans. The Simpson Bowles Commission provided a very clear path to get us where we need to go. In the summer of 2011, Boehner offered $800 billion in increased tax revenues, and he has offered that again in the current discussion--from eliminating loopholes. And McConnell just detailed the entitlement changes needed to make a deal.

Obama ran away from Simpson Bowles, he ran away from the discussions in 2011, and now he is out campaigning instead of getting the hard work of governing done. He is the president!

Uncomfortable truth for Democrats: the Democratic senate will not vote for Obama's plans on taxes. Three senators have already pealed off publicly on the issue of estate taxes alone. Obama is building yet another straw man, that the greedy evil Republicans are stifling the country--when his caricature of an economic plan cannot even get 50 votes in the Senate from his own party. His current proposals are recycled versions of stuff that no Democrat voted for when packaged as a budget.

Am I proud of Republicans in Washington? No. Am I proud of Democrats in Washington? No. I'm disgusted that they, our employees, are not getting their work done. It is a complaint against both parties and leadership in both parties. Anyone who believes that one party or the other is 100% of the problem is simply not paying attention.

I've struggled and juggled for decades to finally perhaps crawl into Obama's target range of "millionaires and billionaires" even though I am neither. I know we have to pay more tax, and that means me. I'm fine with that. But those Dems that say "don't touch our unsustainable entitlements" make me want to puke. The Republicans are coming off their anti-tax pledge; the Dems need to step away from uncontrolled spending--instead of asking that the limit be removed from the credit card.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And tell me, oh brilliant one, what is it exactly you expect to gain by "taxing the rich"?

See the green sliver?

It's exactly like arguing over a single deck chair on the Titanic.
Yes, it is strictly class warfare.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Republicans are waiting for President Obama to tell them what the Republican demands for cuts are,
Republicans put revenues on the table..... now it's your turn. What are you giving in exchange? It's your turn.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Why doesn't Obama just pull a Morsi and EO the changes into effect ?

Congress hasn't balked at anything else he's EO'd that would have normally required their approval..like bombing Libya and 2 year amnesty for illegals so why not EO his economic changes as well ?

8,560 posts, read 11,193,039 times
Quote:
60% of this country has no problem with letting what was su pposed to be a temporary tax cut anyway expire in the wealthiest . Yet the GOP continues to try their old broken fiddle, which the voters SOUNDLY rejected this past election. The GOP is willing to harm the economy and millions of middle class Americans just so they can protect the interests of a few of their plutocratic friends and for small political gains. It should be considered an act of terrorism.
Go ahead and complete your rant by including the reasons the GOP blocks the Donk proposals. I say push the cart off the cliff then see who's willing to cut what.

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
60% of this country has no problem with letting what was su pposed to be a temporary tax cut anyway expire in the wealthiest . Yet the GOP continues to try their old broken fiddle, which the voters SOUNDLY rejected this past election. The GOP is willing to harm the economy and millions of middle class Americans just so they can protect the interests of a few of their plutocratic friends and for small political gains. It should be considered an act of terrorism.

Since only the House may propose tax increases, your use of the word "blocking" is illogical.

"All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives"

US Constitution, Article I, Section VII

Article I | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

If you would like taxes increased, tell your Congressional Representative.

The problem isn't revenue.

The problem is spending.

The problem is borrowing in our kid's names.

You want to go back to Clinton Era taxes?

OK, but let's also have Clinton Era spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies