Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why are you so hell-bent on perpetuating negative black stereotypes? Aren't there enough white supremacists to handle that task?
So this is the real crutch, deny a problem exists because the racist whites point out similar short comings. How again does this help Black youngsters like this girl?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ed...l?pagewanted=3
Quote:
“It’s a bit weird,” Amiyah said of the school’s racial composition. “All my friends are predominantly black, and all the teachers are predominantly white. I think white kids go to different schools. I don’t know. I haven’t seen many white people in a big space before.”
Would it be better if it were integrated?
“I think they would stop calling me white girl if there were white kids,” she said. “Because my skin is a little lighter and I can’t dance, they call me that. Some of them can’t dance, either.”
What else?
“I could talk the way I talk.”
Other students speak street slang that she repudiates: “They will say to me, ‘You are so white.’ I tell them, I have two black parents. Do I look white?”
She had been having trouble making friends. This year, her mother noticed a speech change. “She’s slacking off more to fit in,” Ms. Kingston said. “She’s saying: ‘I been there.’ ‘I done that.’ ”
Amiyah confirmed this: “I speak a bit more freelance with my friends. Not full sentences. I don’t use big words. They hate it when I do that.”
She said she had become more popular.
You guys keep concerning yourself about white racists and who is Uncle Ruckus, very important stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Oops another Black racist, Uncle Tom or Ruckus

Quote:
black parents wanted an explanation. Doctors, lawyers, judges, and insurance brokers, many had come to the upscale Cleveland suburb of Shaker Heights specifically because of its stellar school district. They expected their children to succeed academically, but most were performing poorly. African-American students were lagging far behind their white classmates in every measure of academic success: grade-point average, standardized test scores, and enrollment in advanced-placement courses. On average, black students earned a 1.9 GPA while their white counterparts held down an average of 3.45. Other indicators were equally dismal. It made no sense

The professor and his research assistant moved to Shaker Heights for nine months in mid-1997. They reviewed data and test scores. The team observed 110 different classes, from kindergarten all the way through high school. They conducted exhaustive interviews with school personnel, black parents, and students. Their project yielded an unexpected conclusion: It wasn't socioeconomics, school funding, or racism, that accounted for the students' poor academic performance; it was their own attitudes, and those of their parents.

Ogbu concluded that the average black student in Shaker Heights put little effort into schoolwork and was part of a peer culture that looked down on academic success as "acting white." Although he noted that other factors also play a role, and doesn't deny that there may be antiblack sentiment in the district, he concluded that discrimination alone could not explain the gap.
Rich, Black, Flunking | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
With all due respect you are not living in a majority black setting, so your experience is going to be different from those of us who do live in one.

Also let's be clear as an adult I rarely get this "talking white" crap that I did when I was a kid. Although i recently experienced it when I was verbally attacked for voicing my support for Mitt Romney while waiting in line for early voting. Most of the back and forth was good natured but one lady brought up the "you think you're something because you went to school".
I also live in a majority black environment, among the very affluent, educated, and classy. Contrary to your belief, a "majority black setting" is not tantamount to ghetto, bad, ignorant, crime-ridden, or any other negative stereotype. Your majority black experience is yours. Don't assume it applies to others.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
With all due respect you are not living in a majority black setting, so your experience is going to be different from those of us who do live in one.

Also let's be clear as an adult I rarely get this "talking white" crap that I did when I was a kid. Although i recently experienced it when I was verbally attacked for voicing my support for Mitt Romney while waiting in line for early voting. Most of the back and forth was good natured but one lady brought up the "you think you're something because you went to school".
No, i don't live in one NOW! So what? What does that have to do with anything? 10% of this town is still black. My barbershop is black. My circle is still mostly black. I go to Detroit, L.A., or Vegas a few times a year for certain events, many family related, they're all black. In other words, i'm in all black settings for a good amount of my disposable non-work time. A hell of a lot of middle class black people don't live in all black settings. Why is that important?

I can understand what you mean when you say that most of this stuff is focused on when you were a kid, but again, i doubt you went to better primary schools than i did and i never caught hell from anyone. We weren't allowed to use poor English in my house, although we did use a good bit of slang and some "blackspeak" at home. Still though, it's silly to think that blacks should always speak proper English at all times. When i'm in the proper setting, i can pull out something akin to the King's English if i need it. When i'm around black folks, i revert to the typical vernacular spoken by blacks in a black setting. What's wrong with that? I mean, why would someone NOT do that? Why would i speak like Thomas Sowell in a black barbershop? LMAO...come on man. You're not being reasonable.

Now i regret that a lady told you that you were haughty because you went to school when you were voting, but that's why it's wise to avoid political discussions in that kind of setting. That's what i'm talking about right there...proper place and time. Why would you even voice something like that in that type of setting unless you were trying to provoke an argument with strangers? You thought that would go over well?

But anyway, no harm no foul. You admitted that most of the ribbing was good natured, and that's the bottom line.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Not in the majority of black homes I know. Education and excellence is encouraged and expected. And, it isn't considered "acting white." It's considered being the best you can be, which of course, includes having a grasp of the English language, and conducting oneself with class and dignity. I am still trying to understand when that became the exclusive domain of white America.
The fallacy of EdwardA's premise he's taken one segment of the Black population and extrapolated that segment's point of view to be represented of ALL BLACK PEOPLE.

This tends to done by people who have a personal bias against Black people or people with limited personal contact with Black people.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why send a white supremacist to do a job that a black supremacist can do?
You mean a black white supremacist. Eddie, like Phil, are impostors, only black behind their computer screens.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
So this is the real crutch, deny a problem exists because the racist whites point out similar short comings. How again does this help Black youngsters like this girl?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ed...l?pagewanted=3

You guys keep concerning yourself about white racists and who is Uncle Ruckus, very important stuff.
I have never denied the existence of problems. However, unlike you, I don't need to denigrate my race to prove problems exist. No matter how hard you try, you can't make the entire black population fit your negative stereotype.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I also live in a majority black environment, among the very affluent, educated, and classy. Contrary to your belief, a "majority black setting" is not tantamount to ghetto, bad, ignorant, crime-ridden, or any other negative stereotype. Your majority black experience is yours. Don't assume it applies to others.
I'm sorry where did I say my experience is that of everyone? I've posted several links that support my contention. I'm happy that you live in a majority affluent Black setting but I guess that it to is underperforming compared to similar situated white neighborhoods as John Ogbu showed.

I love how these so called pro black posters on here spare no attempt to distance themselves from poor Blacks but then turnaround and claim posters who disagree with them can't be black.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I have never denied the existence of problems. However, unlike you, I don't need to denigrate my race to prove problems exist. No matter how hard you try, you can't make the entire black population fit your negative stereotype.
So if not 100% of Blacks are not affected it means its not a Black problem? You said you're educated right?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
I'm sorry where did I say my experience is that of everyone? I've posted several links that support my contention. I'm happy that you live in a majority affluent Black setting but I guess that it to is underperforming compared to similar situated white neighborhoods as John Ogbu showed.

I love how these so called pro black posters on here spare no attempt to distance themselves from poor Blacks but then turnaround and claim posters who disagree with them can't be black.
You've physically injured yourself trying to run away from anything having to do with African Americans of any and all stripes. You're hardly qualified to chastise anyone for distancing themselves from anyone or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies