Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. So a surge of cheap unskilled labor will have no impact because they are only working the jobs nobody wants to work?

House painting, handymen, factory workers.....you are seriously delusional if you think this has no impact on the working poor in the US.

You also seem to have a very low opinion of the types of work mexicans are capable of performing.
You do realize Illegal immigrant =/= Mexican right? No of course you don't otherwise you would not have posted this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
"Most people in the black community?" Absolute poppycock. And by the way, I do not believe you are black either........
Poppycock? Wow. Such language. Of course you don't think I'm black. Someone doesn't agree with what you have to say, who is a black conservative, and you don't believe it. You are stuck in one way and one way only.

Unless you are black and have grown up black, you have no clue what it is you are talking about. MOST black people do not consider half black persons to be black. Its a fact. Live in a black community, around black people for awhile. They don't consider half blacks to be black and to understand the black community. Just as a white person cannot understand it and/or believe race relations are still horrible in this community.

I've posted on this board since day one I am black man, married to white, blonde haired, blue eyed woman. I have been attacked by people since we were 15 yrs old. My wife's car spraypainted with, "****** lover" on the side of it. I could literally write novels on the racism I've endured over the past 49 yrs of my life. And, I live in the tolerant San Francisco Bay Area.

You can stick your head in the sand and "believe" all you want too believe. That is your right; albeit a foolish one. Black people don't believe Obama is black, anymore then you believe I am.

His skin may be dark. However, he was brought up by a white female in a white world. Like or not; his upbringing is the key here. He wouldn't last 2 minutes in some ghetto, where a true black person could live. To a true black person, black people aren't articulate and go to Harvard. Obama is about as black as George Bush; with the exception of some pigment issues.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Poppycock? Wow. Such language. Of course you don't think I'm black. Someone doesn't agree with what you have to say, who is a black conservative, and you don't believe it. You are stuck in one way and one way only.

Unless you are black and have grown up black, you have no clue what it is you are talking about. MOST black people do not consider half black persons to be black. Its a fact. Live in a black community, around black people for awhile. They don't consider half blacks to be black and to understand the black community. Just as a white person cannot understand it and/or believe race relations are still horrible in this community.
I've been black all my life and have grown up black and we've never called anyone half-black. We might have called them mixed if someone asked but generally if you look black you're black (with the exceptions of Haitians, Africans, etc).

And true black people only live in the ghetto? Yeah okay...
What exactly is a true black person? Is there some fine line between true and false on the blackness scale?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

I've posted on this board since day one I am black man, married to white, blonde haired, blue eyed woman. I have been attacked by people since we were 15 yrs old. My wife's car spraypainted with, "****** lover" on the side of it. I could literally write novels on the racism I've endured over the past 49 yrs of my life. And, I live in the tolerant San Francisco Bay Area.

You can stick your head in the sand and "believe" all you want too believe. That is your right; albeit a foolish one. Black people don't believe Obama is black, anymore then you believe I am.

His skin may be dark. However, he was brought up by a white female in a white world. Like or not; his upbringing is the key here. He wouldn't last 2 minutes in some ghetto, where a true black person could live. To a true black person, black people aren't articulate and go to Harvard. Obama is about as black as George Bush; with the exception of some pigment issues.
The bolded is pretty hilarious!! I think you must have never lived amongst a large amount of black people in a "black community" to actually believe that most black people don't consider a half black person black. I agree with nat here below

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I've been black all my life and have grown up black and we've never called anyone half-black. We might have called them mixed if someone asked but generally if you look black you're black (with the exceptions of Haitians, Africans, etc).
And honestly, as a black person who grew up around a few Africans (mostly Nigerians) I will admit that I call them black too. I call anybody who is half black black. I have never heard a black person call a half black person, no matter what they are mixed with, anything other than "black" or "mixed."

What black community did you grow up in to think that half white/black does not equate to black?? Especially if they look black like Obama? Very weird IMO. But I see you are kind of weird anyway to think that black people don't consider Harvard educated black people to be black. Is it just Harvard or other Ivy Leagues because I think you have some explaining to do about Cornell West and Henry Louis Gates and WEB DuBois amongst other black educated people who black people see as black. I think you just have a poor view of black people and you confuse black with n*gg**.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You do realize Illegal immigrant =/= Mexican right? No of course you don't otherwise you would not have posted this.
The "illegal" jobs the poster was referring too were jobs that are predominantly filled by illegals from Mexico....hence I specifically mentioned Mexico. (You don't get too many Irish illegals working the harvest season in So. Cal now do ya?)

There are no doubt illegals in the US from just about every other country on the planet.

My point in particular was a defense of Mexican illegals just taking the "dish washing" and "fruit picking" jobs which I though was pretty insulting given the various Mexicans in my personal life.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion you would support Affordable Health Care (Romneycare) (R) but oppose Affordable Health Care (Obamacare) (D) although the two are one and the same, individual mandate and all. Likewise.. NAFTA which we all know as a bad thing (D) was crafted and loaded in the syringe by Bush (R) but the shot was given by Clinton (D) so Republicans could distance themselves from any negative backlash but also take praise for any positive effect on the fortunes of Global Capitalists.

H
1. I'm on the record as supporting Obamacare, I am not completely wild about all of it but yep, I support Obamacare.

2. NAFTA mostly was republican legislation supported and signed by Clinton, Biden, Kerry, Kennedy and more....but keep trying to pretend it was Bush and that Clinton was some sort of unwitting dupe and can't really be blamed for it.

P.S. Global Capitalists like Marc Rich? Gee, I wonder what ever happened to that billionaire tax evader.....Bush must have pardoned him or did the republicans just trick poor Clinton into doing that too?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Really? What difference might that be? Obviously not all whites have racist views... my wife for one... but clearly, quite a number do. And I'll bet most people didn't realize the number was as large as it was. Still, it didn't matter, Obama was re-elected and it wasn't by any white person with racist leanings. They simply just don't vote when the choice is between an Obama and a Mormon. Or else they write in Mickey Mouse or Spiderman and throw away a vote.

H
My buddy's family is chock full of racist blue coller philly residents....that all voted straight ticket Dem just like they always do. Just depends I suppose.

Ever see a poll on racial attitudes of blacks towards asians? mexicans? whites?

I think where we are perhaps not seeing eye to eye is the level of racism. Some of the tests conducted in the study you linked were of the "I'm nervous if I see a group of young black teens" variety (Jesse Jackson himself has made similar comments) as opposed to the "I would never hire a black" type stuff.

I know it's real, I'm just trying to give a dose of perspective.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What fracking polices. One would think that it would be a simple question to answer. Name a bill, an executive order, something. As for the Obama can do no wrong... well my friend as a charter member of the Obama can do not right, one would think that you could name just one fracking real, actual, existing wrong to substantiate your argument (frankly something that you have never been able to do.)
What policies? Have you heard of the jobs he was going to create? His job policies? Apparently not. Well here is a hint they haven't worked and as you see from the results I posted prior they have effected the african american community harder. I guess you should take a look at that and stop protecting dear leader with your nonsense posts.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
In 2008, I feel into the hype. I believed in the liberal lies at the time. 4 years have passed, I saw reality and Obama for who he really is. Race and gender relations have worsened since his election.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I was wondering if the election of Barack Obama and especially the convincing re election has changed your outlook on the country, on white people and the future of your children and grandchildren?

I for one am probably the most proud I have ever been of my country. I didn't think it was possible in 2008 and even thought I felt that Barack deserved another 4 years I had my doubts the people would give it to him.

I think the thing that has surprised most of the doubters, and especially the Democrats with racist tendencies is that Barack has been a pretty typical Democratic President. He's not going after people's guns, in fact he has been pretty much neutral on the subject. He's been very fair in his appointments, has shown no racial favoritism at all.

Are we finally coming together as a people? 147 years after the last shot was fired in the Civil War?

I like to think so.
the blacks certainly gave it to him.

my question for the blacks on the board (particularly the struggling blacks) is why?

obama totally played the race card-which is jackass ridiculous because he is half white, but there you have it. i get the whole class warfare angle-whitey is going to be overtaken by the great minority races coming together to get their fair share, blah, blah.

but what i see happening is that both groups are going to be fighting over a dwindling social service pie, with the hispanic population (particulary immigrants) increasing in force and aggression, and being the "new darlings" of the democratic party.

as far as appointments, i see all crooks in power. i sure as heck see NO PROSECUTION of the bad guys, but, then again, that isn't important to the democrats anymore. they no longer care about wall street fraud, wars, GITMO, expansion of the patriot act, foreign aid, fair trade agreements, etc.

BECAUSE THEY ARE DEPENDENTS and have no voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies