Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Have you ever posted a link or photo NOT from Fox News? I like how the above poster claims all liberals watch CNN & MSNBC, while ignoring the fact that so many right-wingers get 99% of their "news" from Fox.
If CNN and MSNBC start posting the same stuff Fox News does, then I will post links from those two stations. But I think I will have a long wait.
I do watch Fox News and CNN.

Quote:
For the record, I believe Obama has always been for SSM - his official position has just loosened over the years, now that he is settled in his presidency.
Then he is a hypocrite.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, words typically change through common usage and not by an aggressive act of an overreaching government.

What you are trying to do is put the state in charge word use and word meaning.

Did you learn nothing from "1984"?

Normal or otherwise depends on the number of possibilities and the degree to which one possibility outnumbers the other.

Since two sexes exist and females only slightly outnumber males, there is no normal sex to belong to.

Not clearly belonging to one or the other would be abnormal.

Being a red head cannot be abnormal because hair color may be any of hundreds of possibilities.

There is no normal hair color.

There is no normal eye color.

There is no normal skin pigmentation.

There is no normal ethnicity.

There is no normal language.

There is no normal age.

Sex may take place between members of the opposite sex or members of the same sex.

This means sexuality options are heterosexuality, homosexuality or both (bi-sexuality).

As for the same-sex marriage debate, since an individual can only marry one person and by far the greatest part of the population is heterosexual, heterosexuality is the norm.

To fail to recognize it as such is illogical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
But there is a "normal" tendency towards being right handed, correct? Something like 90 percent. That would mean, in your definition, left handedness is not normal.

You have about 90 percent right handers.
About 10 percent left handers.
Then a few ambidextrous mixed in.

In sexuality and attraction you have straight, (estimates are 80-85 percent) the majority. Gay, a minority (5-10 percent estimates).

So, should right/left handedness also be considered a mute point, since only right handers are the most "normal"?

10% gay?

Really?

On what planet?

San Francisco is only 15% gay.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...T-Apr-2011.pdf

And while it's not normal to be left-handed, since humans are symmetrical and left-handed individuals can do all the things right-handed persons can do, it doesn't really matter unless we're playing baseball, stringing a Fender Strat or using scissors.

On the other hand (no pun intended), heterosexuality and homosexuality are hardly two sides of the same coin.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
This shows how little you know about gays. I'm sure that there are lots of gays that you interact with everyday that you just assume are straight. People that lack critical thinking skils think that most gays are "flamers" because they are the most obvious.
Ummm, what?? I was talking about penises not being attractive... what does that have to do with "flamers" or gay people in general? I live in the Bay Area, btw, so I probably know more about the gay community than you (esp since half of my friends are either gay or bi). Does the phrase "preaching to the choir" mean anything to you? I even said this same exact thing to somebody earlier in the thread, LOL.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Last I heard all but a handful of the states still prohibit same-sex marriage.

Actually, the word marriage is the only thing you really want.

It's socialized respectability, so there's plenty for both homosexuals and liberals to like.
It won't be long before all states have legalized same sex marriage. There is absolutely no legal basis for denying two loving people the right to marry one another in a fair secular society like the one we live in. As the older, less gay tolerant generation dies off we will see more and more states embrace equality.

And the word marriage is not the only thing I want. I am actually apathetic about getting married myself as I don't need a piece of paper to prove my love for another person. I do want to have that option though, as well as all the rights and priveledges that come along with marriage.

The gay rights movement has been in full force since 1969. If Conservatives wanted in the end to win any piece of this fight they should have compromised with civil unions decades ago. After all the hell and fighting over the decades and with clear victory for equality in the future you can bet we won't back down now.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I think you misunderstood this poster's comment. In saying "even the 'normal' ones," she was referring to normal penises.
Yes, thank you... I hate the fact that somebody thought I was being a bigot! Ugh, that just hurts.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If CNN and MSNBC start posting the same stuff Fox News does, then I will post links from those two stations. But I think I will have a long wait.
I do watch Fox News and CNN.

Then he is a hypocrite.
For all the years that I have known of Obama he has been pro civil unions with an evolving view on gay marriage. Not necessarily a hypocrit. I personally think he has always been pro gay marriage but it wasn't politically safe to be open about it until recently.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, thank you... I hate the fact that somebody thought I was being a bigot! Ugh, that just hurts.
I noticed it too. I'm guilty of skipping to the end of threads and missing crucial parts like I am sure that poster did. lol.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And I see that you don't understand the difference between unconditional love and unconditional acceptance. One can still love but not accept another's behavior. The love just may have to be across a distance.
Being gay is not a behavior, and the fact that you'd disown (or even distance yourself from) a child over an innate trait is NOT showing love... not even close.

Saying you don't "accept" somebody being gay is about as logical as saying you don't accept somebody for being left-handed.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
As the older, less gay tolerant generation dies off we will see more and more states embrace equality.
That's what the bigots don't get. The war is lost, they just haven't realized it yet.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Believing that marriage should be between and man and a women is NOT intolerance toward gays, hating gays, or discrimination of gays.

You kooky liberals need to understand that. But since you hear something you disagree with, then spin it to become the worst scenario, filled with hatred and intolerance, you will never understand that.
And you "kooky conservatives" need to understand that denying gay people the same rights as straight people IS intolerance and discrimination - in fact, it's the very definition of such a thing.

It is not hateful or intolerant to hold personal views on the matter, but when you support legislation against gay rights, what else would you call that? Loving and fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies