Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
This is the kind of attitude that is hurting the GOP. Their condescending attitude toward the middle class, and the whole 47% comment, is disgusting. Everyone knows the economy is doing awful. Not many people really thought Obama deserved another term. This election should have been a slam dunk for Romney, but the Republicans are condescending, and they just do stupid things to alienate people.
Bingo! While I do care about gay rights, it's hardly the only (or even primary) issue I care about politically. I'm not even a Democrat, just a liberal-leaning independent, who could maybe be swayed farther right if they played their cards a certain way. But when they start calling me & my fellow "libs" welfare moochers, while I work just as hard (if not harder) as any working conservative - or call women sl*ts for wanting insurance companies to cover Rx-only birth control, claim we don't care about family values, etc... well, what do you expect us to do? I didn't WANT to vote Dem, but the alternative was just so much worse IMO.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Sorry, Democrats, but you fail tor ealize you are not winning the vote because of ethnic or social voting blocs. The Democrats make a big mistake doing that, especially the liberal media and the Democratic Party establishment. They think they got the vote because they like gays and abortion. No, the truth is much simpler than that. So many people on here are looking at things from a comfortable middle class point of view. Poor people don't really care about gay rights, abortion to some extent they do. However, if the GOP adopted a more New Deal stance in their platform and all their candidates supported it, and still stayed socially conservative, it would be the end of the Democratic Party. The majority of black and Hispanic voters are socially conservative and economically New Deal. Gay rights are a wedge issue that turn out the college vote and the rest of the left-wing base, it is not the only reason why people vote Democrat. This election proved one thing, the people want economic security, not gay rights or abortion rights. Economic security always trumps wedge issues every time. Gay rights are not going to put a roof over your head, or put food on your table

Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, why should we? I'm quite sure you've peed near a gay man before, and probably didn't even know it... but again, what connection does this have to gay rights? You think just because they're more socially accepted, they will start hitting on you in the restroom? Even the gayest gay man in the world would probably say "ewwww, no thanks."

Restrooms in gay nightclubs are a different story, but they pretty much don't even have gender designations (unofficially speaking). I remember going to one of these clubs with a gay male friend, and when I asked where the women's restroom was, he answered "does it really matter?" Guess not, LOL.
Would you mind sharing a bathroom with lesbians? You are not attracted to each other anyway.

Most men do feel uncomfortable if they know there is a gay staring at his lower part in the bathroom/locker room.
Maybe you feel the same way if there is a woman next to you?

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No they can't.
93% black voters vote Obama anyway. They won't change.
No, they can't what?

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
However, if the GOP adopted a more New Deal stance in their platform and all their candidates supported it, and still stayed socially conservative, it would be the end of the Democratic Party.
And when do you predict this is going to happen?

Quote:
Most men do feel uncomfortable if they know there is a gay staring at his lower part in the bathroom/locker room.
Guess they better get used to it. I don't see any restrooms or locker rooms being built specifically for gays.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,145,004 times
If the Republicans were tolorant of gays god would kill them and start a new hate group.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,362,516 times
The president of the USA now is pro equality.

France and England are fast tracking marriage equality to be set up in 2013... It's legal in Spain, several us states, etc.

By 2020 compare the countries where they have marriage equality as opposed to the countries where homosexuality is illegal. France, USA, England, Canada, Netherlands, South Africa Iceland, Spain, etc VS. Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, etc.

Even as of right now, civil unions/marriage is even recognized in some US, Venezuelan, Mexican, and Australian states/provinces/etc and in Brazil, Ecuador, Uraguay, Colombia, etc.

Let's wake up to reality... There is no avoiding that gay marriage will be legal in your state before you know it so start dealing with it...

That said the GOP better keep up

Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And when do you predict this is going to happen?
It's going to take a major party realignment for this to happen. This hasn't happened yet, but it might in the coming cycles. Usually party realignments happen every 40 years, we're at the end of the last 40 year cycle that started with Nixon. Before him, it was the New Deal/Great Society cycle which lasted about 40 years. I think the GOP might become more economically centrist if they wish to survive this cycle. The majority of latino voters are the kind that want economic security, support a welfare state, but do not readily embrace gay rights or unlimited abortion. This is where 99% of my family fall in and they are the average latino voter. In Puerto Rico, they just gave the boot to the GOP governor, and elected a Democrat governor that is pro-labor but anti-same-sex marriage and civil unions. A lot of Mexican PRI governors in Mexico are also the same way. Sort of pro-labor but strong social conservatives. These are states where the vast majority of Mexicans are coming from

Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Again, you are obsessing over a very abstract idea (normalcy). That word has a different definition to just about everyone you ask, and has changed probably infinite times throughout history. Words change, deal with it or stick to what YOU want to believe & leave the rest of us alone. You know gay people marrying won't actually affect your life, but still want to control them? Why?

Actually, I'm not all that normal. Do you know many Jews who are covered in tattoos (there are some, but we're hardly the majority)? Or "liberals" who think the rich pay enough in taxes, support gun rights, and don't care about the death penalty? I'm not even a typical redhead, seeing as I have blue eyes while most have green or amber-colored. So no, I'm not as "normal" as you may have thought - and quite happy being unique in those respects.

I'm beginning to believe that poster on another thread, who said conservatives have trouble seeing beyond black & white - and I'm not talking about race, I'm talking about the inability to accept that gray areas exist in every facet of life.

Not really... there are many variables in sexual orientation, even within the same designation.

Yes, words typically change through common usage and not by an aggressive act of an overreaching government.

What you are trying to do is put the state in charge word use and word meaning.

Did you learn nothing from "1984"?

Normal or otherwise depends on the number of possibilities and the degree to which one possiblity outnumbers the other.

Since two sexes exist and females only slightly outnumber males, there is no normal sex to belong to.

Not clearly belonging to one or the other would be abnormal.

Being a red head cannot be abnormal because hair color may be any of hundreds of possibilities.

There is no normal hair color.

There is no normal eye color.

There is no normal skin pigmentation.

There is no normal ethnicity.

There is no normal language.

There is no normal age.

Sex may take place between members of the opposite sex or members of the same sex.

This means sexuality options are heterosexuality, homosexuality or both (bi-sexuality).

As for the same-sex marriage debate, since an individual can only marry one person and by far the greatest part of the population is heterosexual, heterosexuality is the norm.

To fail to recognize it as such is illogical.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,253,497 times
Quote:
I'm not "anti-gay", no matter how you label that.
I am just saying gays are attracted to (handsome) straight males too. So changing attitudes definitely has an effect on their behaviors.
OMG, straights are attracted to handsome people too! Run for your lives!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.