Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wait till he gets older and can only walk with the help of a cane or a walker.
He's not exactly young now, as he just turned 45 last month. But yes, it will only get worse with age.

And if we're still together at that point, I will do my best to assist him however possible... sadly my knees are shot too, thanks to years of figure skating, but they're nowhere near as bad as his!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Like Costas doesn't have an armed security guard protecting him at any given moment?

NBC's Bob Costas Goes On Gun Control Rant About NFL Player's Murder-Suicide | RealClearPolitics
ZOMG what a lunatic he is. Criticizing a FAIL policy thats killing over 30,000 Americans every year. What could he possible be thinking? What is freedom, if you don't have the right to blow your girlfriend's brains out?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's easy to kill someone with a gun, it only requires one quick squeeze with your finger, and in an instant, someone is dead. Not so easy with a knife, very bloody, messy, and far more personal. She might even be alive if all he had was a kitchen knife.
Also he might be alive if he hadn't had such easy access to a gun.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I thought it was out of line. He didn't need to go in and politicize a human tragedy.
Of course we shouldn't politicize the fact that people are dying in this country, because it's easier to buy guns then candy. We all have to be good sheep and let the slaughter continue, because you gun nuts say so.

Keep waving your guns in peoples faces long enough, and eventually people will get fed up and knock them out of your hands.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
It's his opinion. He is entitled to it and he has earned the right to have that opinion. He also used that stage, the halftime of SNF, as his national platform. Inappropriate and out of place? Then where else can he voice his opinion ? I wasn't aware the NFL had a weekly gun/NRA show or podcast on ESPN. What channel does that come on ?

It's okay to disagree with what he said, but wish he was fired ? Lol, on what grounds ?

Of course, the only people who take exception to what Costas said and are angry are the ones that disagree with his opinion. To call it a 'rant' is a joke. There was nothing about what he said that was 'rant-like'. But leave it to people who disagree to take the things said out of context and completely miss the points being made.

The only issue I have with what Whitlock and Costas said is that Kassandra and Jovan would still be alive. There are other means in which one or both of these individuals could've ended up deceased, so I'd rather them say, 'They would probably or possibly be alive today.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,367 times
Cars kill people, people who drink and drive cars kill people.

If sober people who drive cars kill people just like drunk drivers then we should ban cars.

No cars=no drunk drivers/sober drivers=no people getting killed by cars!

I think I'm onto his train of thought!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Gun Control would not have stopped this event or any other shooting really.
Only the total elimination of guns would, and there's NO way that could ever happen here in America. None.

Take away guns from those who obey the law and the only ones with guns are the people most willing to break the law.
Simple solution. Repeal the Second Amendment, and outlaw guns. Make the penalty for possession, mandatory life in prison with no chance of parole. Since law abiding citizens will turn in their guns, only outlaws will then have gun. All the police will then have to do is go out and look for the guns. As they find them they can arrest the possessors and get them off the street permanently. Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go. No need to wait for them to hurt someone first. After you send enough of them to prison, some the other outlaws will start to get the message. Some will figure out it is not worth the risk, and give up their guns too. Those that don't get the message, will eventually be off the street. One way or another.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Simple solution. Repeal the Second Amendment, and outlaw guns. Make the penalty for possession, mandatory life in prison with no chance of parole. Since law abiding citizens will turn in their guns, only outlaws will then have gun. All the police will then have to do is go out and look for the guns. As they find them they can arrest the possessors and get them off the street permanently. Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go. No need to wait for them to hurt someone first. After you send enough of them to prison, some the other outlaws will start to get the message. Some will figure out it is not worth the risk, and give up their guns too. Those that don't get the message, will eventually be off the street. One way or another.
Now you are on to something, one step away from throwing all the Jews in an oven. Fascist much?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
More of a mental health issue than a gun issue...and yeah, Costas is an idiot.
Not as big an idiot as the moron who wrote the op-ed, but still an idiot.
He goes further:
Quote:
On CNN contributor Roland Martin’s podcast posted to his website Monday, Jason Whitlock, the columnist who inspired Bob Costas’ commentary on gun control during halftime of Sunday’s Dallas Cowboys-Philadelphia Eagles game on NBC, revealed his peculiar take on the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Whitlock spoke out against the NFL’s handling of the aftermath of Jovan Belcher’s suicide and gun issues in his Sunday FoxSports.com column. During Martin’s podcast, he likened the NRA to the Ku Klux Klan and tied the group to the dangerous street culture that unfortunately dominates “so many black youths.”

“Sports gets so much attention, and people tune out the real world, that I try to take advantage of the opportunity to talk about the real world when sports lends itself to that and try to open people’s eyes,” Whitlock said.

“You know, I did not go as far as I’d like to go because my thoughts on the NRA and America’s gun culture — I believe the NRA is the new KKK. And that the arming of so many black youths, uh, and loading up our community with drugs, and then just having an open shooting gallery, is the work of people who obviously don’t have our best interests [at heart].”

Whitlock disagreed with the idea that gun ownership “enhances” liberty, explaining how — in his view — it damages society.

“I think it’s obvious if you’ve traveled abroad, and traveled to countries where they have legitimate gun laws, that we don’t have to have what we have in America, where people somehow think a gun enhances their liberty, and that people somehow think a gun makes them safer,” he continued.

“It just doesn’t. A gun turns some kids listening to music into a murder scene. And uh, you know, if you don’t have a gun, you drive home. You know, kids listening to some loud music, you don’t like it, you go home and complain to your wife. But when you have a gun, you open fire, potentially, and take the life of a child.”

Read more: Anti-gun sports columnist Jason Whitlock: 'The NRA Is the New KKK' | The Daily Caller

Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
....and the average schmo living in an impoverished area has gang bangers, murders and druggies all around them day in and day out....many of them with guns. But hey, let's not let the law abiding schmo have a gun, because then bad things will happen.
I don`t see where Costas was calling for a gun free society or gun confiscation. He was just pointing out the fact that a home with a gun is a lot more likely to experience a suicide that a home without.

Suicides Likelier in Homes With Guns: Study - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies