Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What is in the best interest of the child supercedes the desires of the adults. Dad is an adult. He can understand the situation. The child cannot. This isn't about dad's rights. Yes, mom violated them but he needs to take that up with her. The child should not be made to pay for her lie.
That's where you're wrong. It IS about dad's rights. In the United States of America, the rights of biological parents trumps the toughness of uprooting a small child from an adoptive family. And those biological parents rights can only be forfeit by choice or by some glaring evidence of being an unfit parent.

You can talk about should not from an emotional perspective as much as you want. Lots of things that happen should not happen from an emotional perspective. But law trumps emotion, and so do the rights of biological parents.

Unrelated example- a couple adopts a child, the child becomes attached, the couple gets arrested and imprisoned for distributing crack. That child will be removed from those adoptive parents regardless of how emotionally tough it is in the child- THE LAW trumps the emotional toughness. In this situation the adoptive parents didn't do anything illegal, but the priorities are the same- THE LAW trumps the emotional toughness. And the law in the US places biological rights over emotional toughness of uprooting a child. As well it should. The uprooting is tough, but children can adapt and thrive nonetheless. The LAW says being with the biological parent is in the best interest of a child if those biological rights have not been legitimately forfeit. And in this case those rights were not legitimately forfeit. Legally this IS about dad's rights, and American law is doing what American law should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
What is in the best interest of the child supercedes the desires of the adults. Dad is an adult. He can understand the situation. The child cannot. This isn't about dad's rights. Yes, mom violated them but he needs to take that up with her. The child should not be made to pay for her lie.

If it were ok to remove her from her adoptive parents, she wouldn't need time and counseling. Did you read what you posted? You're talking about putting a child into a situation where she needs counseling because of the move as if that is ok just because dad shares DNA with her. I'm sorry but that is just wrong.
Pure insanity.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:

If it were ok to remove her from her adoptive parents, she wouldn't need time and counseling. Did you read what you posted? You're talking about putting a child into a situation where she needs counseling because of the move as if that is ok just because dad shares DNA with her. I'm sorry but that is just wrong.
The child is 20 months, it's not going to affect her that much. And by allowing them to keep her you set up a precedent in which children can be bought and sold with little legal recourse to parents.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
has there been anymore interviews with the mother? The one I saw she claimed her husband ababndoned her when she was preg. and didnt want anything to do with them.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And whose fault is that? Her father has been trying to assert his rights since she was 3 months old. Had the adoptive parents followed the law and returned HIS daughter at 3 months, Taleah would not have even realized.

Unfortunately, you are supporting the fact that if people do the wrong thing, they will be rewarded in the end. Not ok. Either way, this child is going to need therapy.
It doesn't matter who is at fault. It is what it is and the decision made must be the best one for the child not the best one for the adults. The adults can suck it up. The child can't.

You do not compromise the needs of a child because the adults in her life behaved badly. It's not her fault. The decision made has to be the best one for her. Not the one, that with thearpy, she'll get over and, possibly do ok. The one that is best for her. If that means her bio father visits like an uncle until she's old enough to understand, then so beit. I do think the day should come when she gets to choose. If this is handled right, by then she'll be bonded to her bio father too.

Put this in perspective. We're talking about a man who was such a big part of his daughter's life that he didn't even know she's been put up for adoption. He's not a key player as far as she's concerned. Ask yourself this. If this man had come home from deployment and divorced his wife who had been the sole caregiver to their child for 90% of that child's life, what judge in his right mind would give him custody and cut mom out of the picture? He wouldn't have a ghost of a chance at getting custody but because the people who have been raising this child are adoptive parents, we're willing to do just that. Give custody to someone who's been around so little he didn't even know she was adopted. I'm not saying that's his fault. I'm saying that's reality. We make choices in life and they have consequences.

Now, the legal suit he'd have against the bio mom is another story. I'd have her arse in court in a heartbeat for doing this.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The child is 20 months, it's not going to affect her that much. And by allowing them to keep her you set up a precedent in which children can be bought and sold with little legal recourse to parents.
Listen to yourself. Why should the child be affected AT ALL??? She didn't do anything wrong. You're treating her like a pawn in a game. Why does she deserve to be taken away from the only parents she's ever known? Why are you minimizing hurt to a child in order to preserve "rights" for an adult? What adult puts his own wants above the needs of his child?

I can tell you this. If the hospital came knocking on my door when my dd was 20 months old and told me they gave me the wrong baby and asked for her back, I wouldn't handing her over. I'd be mad as hell over the mistake but I would not walk away from a baby that was bonded to me nor would I demand my biological child back because she has my DNA. We'd just have to become one big happy family until the kids were old enough to understand.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Listen to yourself. Why should the child be affected AT ALL??? She didn't do anything wrong. You're treating her like a pawn in a game. Why does she deserve to be taken away from the only parents she's ever known? Why are you minimizing hurt to a child in order to preserve "rights" for an adult? What adult puts his own wants above the needs of his child?

I can tell you this. If the hospital came knocking on my door when my dd was 20 months old and told me they gave me the wrong baby and asked for her back, I wouldn't handing her over. I'd be mad as hell over the mistake but I would not walk away from a baby that was bonded to me nor would I demand my biological child back because she has my DNA. We'd just have to become one big happy family until the kids were old enough to understand.
Whose fault is it that she didn't have the opportunity to bond with her father earlier?

This should have never been a fight. The minute the father asked for the baby back, that should have been the end of the issue.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
I'm getting a clear glimpse into the mind of a psychopath.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter who is at fault. It is what it is and the decision made must be the best one for the child not the best one for the adults. The adults can suck it up. The child can't.

You do not compromise the needs of a child because the adults in her life behaved badly. It's not her fault. The decision made has to be the best one for her. Not the one, that with thearpy, she'll get over and, possibly do ok. The one that is best for her. If that means her bio father visits like an uncle until she's old enough to understand, then so beit. I do think the day should come when she gets to choose. If this is handled right, by then she'll be bonded to her bio father too.

Put this in perspective. We're talking about a man who was such a big part of his daughter's life that he didn't even know she's been put up for adoption. He's not a key player as far as she's concerned. Ask yourself this. If this man had come home from deployment and divorced his wife who had been the sole caregiver to their child for 90% of that child's life, what judge in his right mind would give him custody and cut mom out of the picture? He wouldn't have a ghost of a chance at getting custody but because the people who have been raising this child are adoptive parents, we're willing to do just that. Give custody to someone who's been around so little he didn't even know she was adopted. I'm not saying that's his fault. I'm saying that's reality. We make choices in life and they have consequences.

Now, the legal suit he'd have against the bio mom is another story. I'd have her arse in court in a heartbeat for doing this.
You need to go and read up on this case because you are making a gigantic fool of yourself jumping in without knowing the fatcs.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:

You do not compromise the needs of a child because the adults in her life behaved badly. It's not her fault. The decision made has to be the best one for her.
Yes and in this country what is deemed best for a child is to be raised by a biological parent unless there is some clear indication of the biological parent being unfit. Returning this child to her father IS in her best interest in the eyes of the law unless he is shown to be unfit, and he has not been. The judge ruled in the best interest of the little girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies