Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I believe the title of this thread is a lie.

I have seen nothing that has been proposed that would create a new tax or an online sales tax.

What has been proposed is a new requirement that state sales taxes be applied to online commerce carried out between a purchaser within the state and a seller outside of the state. This is not a new tax but merely a collection mechanism: if you buy an item from an out-of-state online retailer and that retailer does not collect the sales tax for your state you are liable to pay the equivalent of that sales tax as a use tax to your state. I'm guessing that you probably have never done this.

This proposal would have the benefits of creating revenue for those states that choose to collect a sales tax and removing one significant but illegitimate advantage that some online merchants now have over local merchants.

Isn't it funny that the conservatives around here, who love to talk about how much they support small businesses, are crying about how this measure will hurt big businesses that now ship their products into states without collecting the sales taxes that small local businesses collect?
If this is the case, then this is how it has always been. My understanding is that buyers have always been liable for claiming any sales tax they never paid to out of state sellers. The problem for the states is that nobody does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the feds will say it goes to the states, but only if they do certain things to get it. sort of like federal highway funds. seatbelt laws, booze at age 21 or no highway funds.
I take it you haven't read the amendment?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In other words we need to cut orders to the defense contractors that create millions of jobs?

Every entitlement program needs to be revised, updated, reengineered to be more productive, less wasteful, and sustainable long-term.

Building the XL Pipeline would be a nifty start.

Both sides need to stop spending beyond their means, not raising taxes to support their habit.
We could eliminate half the people on welfare.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Of course I do. And I don't do it voluntarily. I am required to do it.
So you keep track of every single on-line purchase you make, add it all up at the end of ther year and then pay whatever percentage your state charges? I couldn't even begin to tell you what a I purchased on-line this year and imagine most people couldn't either. Even if people want to be honest, it wouldn't be easy.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
And online sales taxes have what to do with defense?
Another reason to pass a bill limiting bills to their original or associated purposes.
But hopefully this one won't be passed anyway. Scary if it is.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And online sales taxes have what to do with defense?
Another reason to pass a bill limiting bills to their original or associated purposes.
But hopefully this one won't be passed anyway. Scary if it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
NDAA should be defeated anyways with or without the tax increase.

Cheers to both of you!

The taxation portion is the least of our problems with this unconstitutional bill.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Most states already have a sales & use tax. I doubt they would create a bill that taxes on behalf of the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So where does this tax go? To the states, or the greedy federal government?
The bill expresses Congress' sense (relevant for the Supreme Court ruling) that states should be allowed to collect taxes on remote sales in accordance with their existing sales and use tax laws.

It authorizes States that are signatories to the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement to require sellers to collect and remit sales/use taxes for remote sales. This represents 24 states who have agreed to tax code uniformity and simplification standards required by the agreement.

States who are not signatories to the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement may be authorized to require sellers to collect and remit sales/use tax on remote sales IF they meet certain tax code and administrative uniformity and simplification standards. 2 associate members of the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement would probably already qualify.

Small businesses with remote sales under $500,000 are exempted.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
This was a Republican proposal that DID NOT make it into the Defense bill.
"On Monday, the Senate voted to close debate on the defense bill and proceed toward a final vote without considering the sales tax amendment."

Senators' effort to add Internet sales tax to defense bill falls short

"The Marketplace Fairness Act would allow the 46 U.S. states with sales taxes to require online sellers with no physical presence within their borders to collect the tax from their customers. Currently, due to a 1992 Supreme Court ruling, online retailers that have no physical presence in a state don't have to collect sales tax from residents who buy from them. As a result, the states receive no sales tax from those transactions."

Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Do you evade state sales & use tax in which you owe the state on purchases you've made?

Ignore this one.... apparently a Wall Street worker.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
So you keep track of every single on-line purchase you make, add it all up at the end of ther year and then pay whatever percentage your state charges? I couldn't even begin to tell you what a I purchased on-line this year and imagine most people couldn't either. Even if people want to be honest, it wouldn't be easy.
I just forward the receipts to my accountant as they come in. He takes care of the rest. I can tell you everything I've purchased online this year, as well as years before. I'm more organized than you.

Trust me, it's very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies