Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times

Advertisements

In this forum, as well as others I participate in, I have continuously experienced members of the religious right, when howling and whining about how our society is going to hell in a handbasket because of homosexuals, or heterosexual "hook up" culture, or drugs, or any of a myriad of social issues completely make up false statistics.

Examples:
STD's are rising and widespread. (They're not, they're mostly at historical lows, and except for HSV (herpes) affect <1% of the population.)
Divorce is rising. (It's not, it's been falling for 20 years.)
Drop out rates are at all time highs! (They're not, as the above, they've been falling for years.)
Marijuana causes cancer! (Not only is that not true, it's been shown to have the potential to prevent cancer.)
Teen pregnancies are at all time highs and continue to rise! (Again, the opposite is true. They're at all time lows.)
Murders are everywhere, and spreading fast!! (False. They're half the rate of just a few decades ago, and you were statistically more likely to be murdered in 1960 than 2010.)
Abortion continues to rise! (At the risk of being repetitive, simply not true. They've been falling since 1990.)

I could go on, I suppose, but I think I've made my point. I think most of the time the lies are innocent, insofar as the person making the claim believes it to be true (because they were told so and failed to check their facts), but nonetheless they continue to make claims based on flat out lies.

How much longer are we going to give these people a voice in our politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
The only thing worse than a RWNJ is a RWNJFJ.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
I read in The Holy Sunday magazine that homosexuals are causing global warming and forcing Justin Bieber on boys to find out who is gay at an early age. I was going to finish reading the article but was distracted by the centerfold of the Nun of the Month.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Fj?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Some religious people who have an oppressive agenda on how people should live under God will resort to false premises to try to justify it.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Once you are saved, you are saved. Therefore, go out and sin at will, because Heaven is guaranteed. You will never be un-saved.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post

Marijuana causes cancer! (Not only is that not true, it's been shown to have the potential to prevent ?
This is not a religious thing, per se. But I think this one at least is off-base. If you smoke anything, its not good for you. Hell if you burn a steak, that is tied to carcinogens and cancer.

The actual answer is, that controlled studies of Marijuana is tough due to illegality but smoking it is probally going to increase your risk of cancer. I've also seen studies linking it to testicular cancer as well. . .

--Many of the carcinogens and co-carcinogens present in tobacco smoke are also present in smoke from marijuana.

--Marijuana smoking does cause inflammation and cell damage, and it has been associated with pre-cancerous changes in lung tissue.

---Marijuana has been shown to cause immune system dysfunction, possibly predisposing individuals to cancer.

I mean it probably isn't in the tobacco class of death dealing, but don't pretend its perfectly safe/good for you.

Source: Does Smoking Marijuana Cause Lung Cancer

Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I mean it probably isn't in the tobacco class of death dealing, but don't pretend its perfectly safe/good for you.
There seems to be some scientific disagreement on the subject: Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find - The Daily Beast

Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
In this forum, as well as others I participate in, I have continuously experienced members of the religious right, when howling and whining about how our society is going to hell in a handbasket because of homosexuals, or heterosexual "hook up" culture, or drugs, or any of a myriad of social issues completely make up false statistics.

Examples:
STD's are rising and widespread. (They're not, they're mostly at historical lows, and except for HSV (herpes) affect <1% of the population.)
Divorce is rising. (It's not, it's been falling for 20 years.)
Drop out rates are at all time highs! (They're not, as the above, they've been falling for years.)
Marijuana causes cancer! (Not only is that not true, it's been shown to have the potential to prevent cancer.)
Teen pregnancies are at all time highs and continue to rise! (Again, the opposite is true. They're at all time lows.)
Murders are everywhere, and spreading fast!! (False. They're half the rate of just a few decades ago, and you were statistically more likely to be murdered in 1960 than 2010.)
Abortion continues to rise! (At the risk of being repetitive, simply not true. They've been falling since 1990.)

I could go on, I suppose, but I think I've made my point. I think most of the time the lies are innocent, insofar as the person making the claim believes it to be true (because they were told so and failed to check their facts), but nonetheless they continue to make claims based on flat out lies.

How much longer are we going to give these people a voice in our politics?
where did you get these facts?
So you think people should not have a voice in America? How American of you to deny people a voice

Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Once you are saved, you are saved. Therefore, go out and sin at will, because Heaven is guaranteed. You will never be un-saved.

Look, I'm not religious like this, but I will say that the bible blatantly says that many of those who believe themselves saved aren't, and won't make it into heaven.

I'm related to many of the "religious right", and they seem to feel that voting based on these values are far more important then economic issues. Most have justified irrational economic beliefs to justify their irrational religious beliefs.

If you don't like abortions, gay marriage, etc, then don't do them. But this is a free country, or at least its supposed to be last I checked, and as such we should leave individuals to individuals own desires and will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies