Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,746,092 times

Advertisements

Conventional flash suppressors (M-14, British .303 jungle carbine, etc) are NOT designed to hide your muzzle flash from the enemy. They are designed to reduce the damage to your night vision from your own fire. Your gun is pointed at your target so there is no way of hiding the flash from him or his friends.

The only flash suppressors that might work on a rifle are very large and primarily designed to suppress noise and also pretty much eliminate the muzzle flash as well.

If you want to see real muzzle flash shoot a heavy buckshot or slug load from a shotgun at night. If you have let your eyes night adapt you will not be seeing very much until your eyes recover from the very bright light.

BTW - a flash suppressor does not an assault weapon make. Any gun in the hands of an assailent is an assault weapon. An antique flint lock .60 cal black powder pistol can make you just as dead as the most specialized modern pistol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,067,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How about the collapsible stock, higher fire rate, the shorter barrel length, pistol group, and the high capacity [30 round magazine]. Should I continue or do you get the point? They are both dangerous and the caliper is the same but the purpose is different.
So tell me what makes a "collapsible" stock deadly? Why does a "Shorter" barrel make it more deadly?

What does a "pistol grip" make a weapon more deadly?

Shall we go any further?

And what a caliper?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,648,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Conventional flash suppressors (M-14, British .303 jungle carbine, etc) are NOT designed to hide your muzzle flash from the enemy. They are designed to reduce the damage to your night vision from your own fire. Your gun is pointed at your target so there is no way of hiding the flash from him or his friends.

The only flash suppressors that might work on a rifle are very large and primarily designed to suppress noise and also pretty much eliminate the muzzle flash as well.

If you want to see real muzzle flash shoot a heavy buckshot or slug load from a shotgun at night. If you have let your eyes night adapt you will not be seeing very much until your eyes recover from the very bright light.

BTW - a flash suppressor does not an assault weapon make. Any gun in the hands of an assailent is an assault weapon. An antique flint lock .60 cal black powder pistol can make you just as dead as the most specialized modern pistol.

Yep-

Most people don't shoot at night, and therefore don't appreciate that this can be a problem. We shoot night vision and infared at night. Even with a flash suppressor, you get a muzzle flash that can be a problem. Silencers (illegal in our state, but legal in Texas) really helps that problem, but does not eliminate it.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,951,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Actually both of your illustrations were banned in 1994.

A semi-auto with two or more of the following items, telescopic stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, and the ability to accept a detachable magazine. Your picture at the bottom has two or more of the above...

BUT

That is besides the point since the law was silly and totally ineffective.

Remove the flash suppressor and voila a perfectly legal "assault rifle"
You are aware Biden wrote Bill's Ban and the ban 'sunset'a few years ago..... If it didn't a lot of gun dealers in NH are selling illegal guns.

I am still debating in my alleged mind A-10 in a 10th Mountain config or full blown A-10 in a Zombie
White Mountains Firearms | A great selection of firearms and accessories, North Conway, NH

Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,951,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I hate to say this, as a supporter of gun rights. However, soon, very soon, you will lose the "right" to purchase the dreaded assault weapon.

The people in this country, regarding gun control, are naive and, well, down right stupid. They are going to ban guns, so as to make themselves feel better on paper. It won't work. However, they will continue to spin doctor the facts to make it work.

The killer in Casper, Wyoming used a knife. No one complains or says: BAN KNIVES.

A total, complete, 100% gun ban is coming to this country. Its just going to be comical to see how its going to be enforced.
No one addressed post 50 ever. I read this entire thread just now, because I missed it before..

They can try but they better wait about 10 more generations, because other wise somebody might get hurt.

By now any with a brain knows these people who would ban these weapons don't know how to run their own lives and so why should we allow them to try and run ours.

We should ban the liberal pets which are nothing more than common criminals. The best way to do that in re-instate the Death penalty in ALL states. Create crime with a weapon and you get fried, not the 3rd time , not the 12th time, but the 1st.

Edged weapons and bats would count as weapons too.

I am sick of the left and their pets.

google up willie horten and you won't believe what you read. And Mass should be sliced off the country sent out to sea and torpedoed...

Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,437,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No one addressed post 50 ever. I read this entire thread just now, because I missed it before..

They can try but they better wait about 10 more generations, because other wise somebody might get hurt.

By now any with a brain knows these people who would ban these weapons don't know how to run their own lives and so why should we allow them to try and run ours.

We should ban the liberal pets which are nothing more than common criminals. The best way to do that in re-instate the Death penalty in ALL states. Create crime with a weapon and you get fried, not the 3rd time , not the 12th time, but the 1st.

Edged weapons and bats would count as weapons too.

I am sick of the left and their pets.

google up willie horten and you won't believe what you read. And Mass should be sliced off the country sent out to sea and torpedoed...
It is not just the left who want to ban guns. There are many on the right who also want firearms bans, including Rudy Guiliani, Mitt Romney, Rupert Murdoch, Bill O'Reily, and Michael Savage just to name a few anti-gun right-wingers.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,153,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is not just the left who want to ban guns. There are many on the right who also want firearms bans, including Rudy Guiliani, Mitt Romney, Rupert Murdoch, Bill O'Reily, and Michael Savage just to name a few anti-gun right-wingers.
It didn't take long to see that Bill O'Reilly does not want firearm bans. He was quoted just yesterday:

Quote:
In light of Costas' commentary, O'Reilly came down on the side of gun control on Monday night. "All gun crimes in America should be federalized and that includes illegal possession," the Fox News host said.

He continued, "There should be mandatory federal prison time for any person convicted of having a gun illegally, and if you commit a crime with a gun, that mandatory should be ten years."

O'Reilly added that "law-abiding citizens" should be able to bear arms as long as it's legal, and blamed "out-of-control people" for gun violence. "There will always be people like Mr. Belcher who lose control and you cannot disarm the entire American population to combat madness," he said.
Bill O'Reilly On Gun Control: All Gun Crimes Should Be Federal Offenses (VIDEO)

As far as I can tell, Rudy Guiliani favors certain gun controls, but has never argued for firearm bans.

Mitt Romney was not as gun friendly as some Republicans, but he was clearly in favor of individual rights to own guns during his campaign.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,586,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It didn't take long to see that Bill O'Reilly does not want firearm bans. He was quoted just yesterday:

Bill O'Reilly On Gun Control: All Gun Crimes Should Be Federal Offenses (VIDEO)

As far as I can tell, Rudy Guiliani favors certain gun controls, but has never argued for firearm bans.

Mitt Romney was not as gun friendly as some Republicans, but he was clearly in favor of individual rights to own guns during his campaign.
Lol. During the campaign being the key issue. He has been anti gun all his life.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,437,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Rudy Guilani giving a speech in favor of the Brady Bill.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,128,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So tell me what makes a "collapsible" stock deadly? Why does a "Shorter" barrel make it more deadly?

What does a "pistol grip" make a weapon more deadly?

Shall we go any further?

And what a caliper?
I meant caliber ... It sounds like you have probably not used a M4/M16 before. I have and I've shot a M14 as well. I prefer the carbine unless I was sniper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies