U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,827 posts, read 6,261,495 times
Reputation: 3408

Advertisements

The first comedian never stands a chance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Lost in Texas
9,827 posts, read 6,261,495 times
Reputation: 3408
I use a lot of steel cartridges in my AK, but then it's an AK.. They are dirty, but they are .22 cents a round for 7,62x39.. I can clean it for the cost difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
2K5Gx2km
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I won't touch that Tula stuff with a 10' pole, they don't dirty your rifle up "a bit more", it's more like 10x. I watched my friend clean his after using that stuff, and then I cleaned mine, and it was pristine compared to my friends. I put a wipe through the barrel and there wasn't a thing on it, he went through 4 or 5 that came out absolutely filthy before I stopped counting.
LOL! Yeah, that is true but as you say below you better buy BULK - at $0.50 more a round after 1000 rounds your are close to buying a new rifle. At $0.05 more you would have to use 10,000 rounds - I could easily do that is 3 years. Yes it is a pain to clean it - poor friend.

Quote:
I typically buy whatever I can get at Wal-Mart for $11-$12 per box, though I'm probably going to try to make a bulk purchase soon so I can get the cost down to $0.30 or so per round.
$0.30 is good.

Quote:
The FPD ammo (which contains a ceramic tip that causes the bullet to fragment, making it deadlier for the person you're aiming at, and less deadly for the person behind the wall behind the person you're aiming at in the event you miss) is typically a little more than a buck a round.

A FMJ round traveling at 3000 fps could go through the perp, causing a surprisingly small amount of damage, then go through the wall behind him, the wall behind that, your neighbor sleeping behind that wall, and so on and so forth. If I have to shoot someone for real, I want to kill the bad guy. Not wound the bad guy and 3 of my neighbors.
Or destroy property unnecessarily.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
2K5Gx2km
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically the assault wepao shown if legal for the genral public is a small caliber semi-auto rifle .The wepon below it is a high powered bolt action weapon. The normal ammo available for assult weapon is a full jacket bullet round that does not expand on entry. Most hunting ammo for the other is expanding bullets that are outlawed for military use. A advanced form of so called DUM DUM bullet of pre -WWI.But a better comparison is a semi-auto hunting rifle whcih also uses the most cpommon bullet avialble for them which is alos expnding.Basically if you waqn tto take own game i humane way the huigher caliber more powerful expanding rounds are preferrred. Many states will not allow the use of fullmetal jsckets or such small caliber rounds on game anianls because it not consider a good killing choice.It results in too many wounded animals in their professional opinion. I'd much rather be hit by a .223 full metal jacket rounds than say a even small caliber semi-auto rounds like a .243 with expanding bullet.In fact I have a good friend who was hit in upper toso with a similar three rounds from a AK-47 in vietnam and is likely only alive today because the weapon was smaller caliber and the bullet full metal jacket.
I want to apologize - I did not know that your were disabled. Thank You for your service!

Quote:
Are you having a stroke or is your keyboard screwed-up?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,349,525 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Or destroy property unnecessarily.
Indeed!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,824 posts, read 21,300,602 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
With a gun-grabber in the whitehouse embolding people to start calling to ban assault weapons, I have a question.

What makes this:


More dangerous than this:


They both put identical bullets downrange at identical velocities. Since F=ma, the damage caused by these rifles would be identical. Yet the top one is demonized because it "looks scary". Does that make any sense whatsoever??
In 1934, after Congress enacted the National Firearms Act into law, the FBI came up with a definition of "Assault Weapon" to be any firearm capable of fully automatic fire. It did not matter if it was a fully automatic pistol (like the Uzi), or fully automatic machine gun (like the M2 Browning), both were considered "Assault Weapons" by the FBI.

Fast forward to 1994 and we suddenly have mainstream media redefining "Assault Weapon" purely on cosmetics. The FBI's definition had not changed in 60 years, but in the span of just one year mainstream media managed to alter the meaning and the Assault Weapon Ban Act of 1994 was passed based solely on the media's cosmetic definition.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 2,349,525 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In 1934, after Congress enacted the National Firearms Act into law, the FBI came up with a definition of "Assault Weapon" to be any firearm capable of fully automatic fire. It did not matter if it was a fully automatic pistol (like the Uzi), or fully automatic machine gun (like the M2 Browning), both were considered "Assault Weapons" by the FBI.

Fast forward to 1994 and we suddenly have mainstream media redefining "Assault Weapon" purely on cosmetics. The FBI's definition had not changed in 60 years, but in the span of just one year mainstream media managed to alter the meaning and the Assault Weapon Ban Act of 1994 was passed based solely on the media's cosmetic definition.
Which is precisely my point.

A rifle capable of firing a .223 round downrange at 3000 fps is not LESS dangerous than one capable of firing a .223 round downrange at 3000 fps that has a telescoping stock or pistol grip.

But moron gun-grabbers don't get that, they see a rifle that "looks like" an "army gun" and they freak out.

Because stupid people are, well, stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,824 posts, read 21,300,602 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically the assault wepao shown if legal for the genral public is a small caliber semi-auto rifle .The wepon below it is a high powered bolt action weapon. The normal ammo available for assult weapon is a full jacket bullet round that does not expand on entry. Most hunting ammo for the other is expanding bullets that are outlawed for military use. A advanced form of so called DUM DUM bullet of pre -WWI.But a better comparison is a semi-auto hunting rifle whcih also uses the most cpommon bullet avialble for them which is alos expnding.Basically if you waqn tto take own game i humane way the huigher caliber more powerful expanding rounds are preferrred. Many states will not allow the use of fullmetal jsckets or such small caliber rounds on game anianls because it not consider a good killing choice.It results in too many wounded animals in their professional opinion. I'd much rather be hit by a .223 full metal jacket rounds than say a even small caliber semi-auto rounds like a .243 with expanding bullet.In fact I have a good friend who was hit in upper toso with a similar three rounds from a AK-47 in vietnam and is likely only alive today because the weapon was smaller caliber and the bullet full metal jacket.
I concur with everything you posted. However, it should be noted that the FMJ 5.56mm "anti personnel ball round" is intentionally made unbalanced, so that it tumbles end over end as well as rotates because of the rifling. This causes the round to act randomly when it strikes its target, thus causing more damage than a balanced FMJ round might have caused.

Also, the various different military's around the world have gone to smaller caliber rounds since WW II. This is because WW II taught them that a wounded enemy consumed more of the enemy's resources than a dead enemy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
34,678 posts, read 20,900,363 times
Reputation: 21022
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Most are glass bed modified and have 1913 Picatinny rails on the receiver. Barrels are chrome lined and special twist rates for "special" ammo.

Wal-mart doesn't handle them! lol lol
We still talking about the SPRs? Special twist rates? 1:12 is pretty common for the 7.62 x 51. I also believe the McMillian stocks all use pillar bedding, but could well be wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,811 posts, read 3,866,151 times
Reputation: 3975
I hate to say this, as a supporter of gun rights. However, soon, very soon, you will lose the "right" to purchase the dreaded assault weapon.

The people in this country, regarding gun control, are naive and, well, down right stupid. They are going to ban guns, so as to make themselves feel better on paper. It won't work. However, they will continue to spin doctor the facts to make it work.

The killer in Casper, Wyoming used a knife. No one complains or says: BAN KNIVES.

A total, complete, 100% gun ban is coming to this country. Its just going to be comical to see how its going to be enforced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top