Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times

Advertisements

Looks good to me!

'Obamacare' saves consumers nearly $1.5 billion - latimes.com

Much of those savings — an estimated $1.1 billion — came in rebates to consumers required because insurers had exceeded the required limits.

The study by the New York-based Commonwealth Fund also suggests that the Affordable Care Act forced insurers to become more efficient by limiting their administrative expenses, a key goal of the 2010 law.

In some cases, insurers passed savings on to consumers in the form of lower premiums and higher spending on medical care, the researchers found. This was primarily true in the individual market, where consumers buy health insurance on their own.

The rules "appear to be producing important consumer benefits," concluded the report's authors, Michael McCue, a professor of health administration at Virginia Commonwealth University, and Mark Hall, a healthcare law professor at Wake Forest University.

Administrative costs in the individual market dropped in 39 states, with major improvements in Delaware, Ohio, Louisiana, South Carolina and New York.

And insurers in 37 states spent relatively more of their customers' premiums on medical care, with big gains in New Mexico, Missouri, West Virginia, Texas and South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Looks good to me!

Much of those savings — an estimated $1.1 billion — came in rebates to consumers required because insurers had exceeded the required limits.

The study by the New York-based Commonwealth Fund also suggests that the Affordable Care Act forced insurers to become more efficient by limiting their administrative expenses, a key goal of the 2010 law.

In some cases, insurers passed savings on to consumers in the form of lower premiums and higher spending on medical care, the researchers found. This was primarily true in the individual market, where consumers buy health insurance on their own.

The rules "appear to be producing important consumer benefits," concluded the report's authors, Michael McCue, a professor of health administration at Virginia Commonwealth University, and Mark Hall, a healthcare law professor at Wake Forest University.

Administrative costs in the individual market dropped in 39 states, with major improvements in Delaware, Ohio, Louisiana, South Carolina and New York.

And insurers in 37 states spent relatively more of their customers' premiums on medical care, with big gains in New Mexico, Missouri, West Virginia, Texas and South Carolina.
Yeah, and the wingnuts dream of dumping Obamacare is going to evaporate faster than ever as more and more of the benefits of the law start to kick in.

While FAR from perfect, it was the best that could be accomplished at the time and now some of the benefits are starting to be realized.

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Looks good to me!

But..those rebates can be kept by your company and used in the future to "offset increased costs".
That's the letter I got along with my 20% yearly increase in premium for next year.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But..those rebates can be kept by your company and used in the future to "offset increased costs".
IF your company chooses to. Unless you prefer that the government establish rules that employers sponsoring health insurance send it to employees.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
I didnt get a rebate so this is yet another BS post by leg-humpers.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Obamacare is a good start, but Medicare for all needs to be the final goal. My premiums went down but my insurance company can still deny care. The corporate greedheads need to be removed from the drivers seat and chained up in the back.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
You sure seem to have an unnatural fixiation on "leg humping".
Hmmmmm.....

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
You may be costing too much to the system. Those who didn't, can expect their refunds.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Obamacare is a good start, but Medicare for all needs to be the final goal. My premiums went down but my insurance company can still deny care. The corporate greedheads need to be removed from the drivers seat and chained up in the back.
I agree that single payer is the ultimate goal.
Right now, we'll take what we can get though.

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You may be costing too much to the system. Those who didn't, can expect their refunds.
Maybe it's all those therapy sessions for his "leg-humping" fixiation.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies