Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You want to rid yourself of gun deaths? Ban stupid people....
That would actually solve virtually all of humanities problems. Too bad there is no feasible way to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
A "sniper" rifle as used by FBI SWAT..... FN A3G

[/url]
Well...to be picky, an FN SPR A3G. A great Winchester M70 offspring. I'd really like one in .300 WSM. The chrome lined barrel should keep life decent, even in a magnum. I'd actually prefer the A5M for the different McMillian stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well ignoring for a second the ballistic profile presented by a manual bolt action versus gas operated one. I'd go for the bottom one in the hands of a skilled "sniper" being a much more deadly weapon in an urban envrionment where this "gun control" is prevelant.

Hiding behind a short wall and spraying rounds over the top while not bothering to sight down range is great for suppressing fire but not so hot for counting the enemies bodies later.

For the purposes of gun contol it's the guy with a slightly longer range ability in a Texas Tower they need to be afraid of unless someone walking into a crowded room is what they're concerned about and virtually any larger magazine weapon is then suspect isn't it?

You could go around and around with this forever. Each is equally deadly in the hands of someone skilled in it's use.
In all likelyhood the AR-platform rifle will rival, if not exceed most bolt guns for accuracy. For ranges out to ~800 yards SDMs often use ARs.

OP, what's the rifle in the lower pic? I'd guess a CZ, but I really don't know their model mix well.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-04-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
That would actually solve virtually all of humanities problems. Too bad there is no feasible way to do so.
The point is, you can ban any kind of firearm you want and it will change nothing.. Criminals will still have them. The only thing you will accomplish is to make it easier for a criminal to do what he pleases to a lawful citizen.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You want to rid yourself of gun deaths? Ban stupid people....
You are so good brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well...to be picky, an FN SPR A3G. A great Winchester M70 offspring. I'd really like one in .300 WSM. The chrome lined barrel should keep life decent, even in a magnum.

In all likelyhood the AR-platform rifle will rival, if not exceed most bolt guns for accuracy. For ranges out to ~800 yards SDMs often use ARs.

OP, what's the rifle in the lower pic? I'd guess a CZ, but I really don't know their model mix well.
550 meters ladies! "Yes Sir"!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
With a gun-grabber in the whitehouse embolding people to start calling to ban assault weapons, I have a question.

What makes this:

More dangerous than this:

They both put identical bullets downrange at identical velocities. Since F=ma, the damage caused by these rifles would be identical. Yet the top one is demonized because it "looks scary". Does that make any sense whatsoever??

actually, they are both military lookaliike firearms.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
actually, they are both military lookaliike firearms.
Well...to be honest, the military rarely checkers their sniper rifles. Or use such nice walnut.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Well...to be honest, the military rarely checkers their sniper rifles. Or use such nice walnut.

alot of the 1903 springfield rifles were checkered during WW1, and they had nice wood too.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times
Quote:
Most are glass bed modified and have 1913 Picatinny rails on the receiver. Barrels are chrome lined and special twist rates for "special" ammo.

Wal-mart doesn't handle them! lol lol

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Yes, I've put more expensive holes into pieces of paper than I care to think about LOL...

I buy 2 kinds of ammo- cheapo deapo FMJ for the range, and Hornady FPD rounds for life's little "Oh, sh*t, something really bad is happening and I need to kill something for reals!" moments. Just 2 weeks ago is the first time I ever loaded those into my rifle. We were visiting my wife's parents, and her mom thought she saw a gator in the backyard, so I went to investigate.

No gator. No shots fired. All is well.

Here's to hoping I never have to use one of those rounds! But I'm glad to know they're there.
How cheap are those - I went to Walmart to get some boxes of Tula (steel cartridge) @ $5 for 20 rounds. They dirty your rifle up a bit more - but what the hell you should be cleaning it after every use

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
It's a CZ527, chosen at random from .223/5.56 non-"assault weapons" on Cheaper Than Dirt. Another poster pointed out that it's not compatible with 5.56 NATO, and that is correct, so my comparison could have been better, but I wasn't trying to be overly anal, merely make the point that if Gun-A and Gun-B use the same type of ammunition, Gun-A is incapable of being more dangerous just because it looks "scarier".

Physics is a pesky thing.

Now, one thing they could do is outlaw training, but criminals rarely train. The Aurora shooter had an AR, but it jammed, and he didn't know how to clear it, so he went to his backup, which was a Glock 22 Pistol. I can't find any information about how many were shot with each, but he did reportedly fire fewer than 30 rounds with the AR. The 100-round magazine he was using doesn't really feed reliably, and as a result jams frequently. Despite the fact that the magazine was what caused him to STOP using the so-called "assault weapon" and resort to a "less deadly" .40 caliber pistol, critics have called for it to be banned as well.

Personally, I might use that particular magazine for convenience at the range (if someone bought it for me, I would never spend my own money on it), as constantly reloading is a PITA, but I would never use it in a "for real" situation. Too much chance of exactly what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies