Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,439,445 times

Advertisements

This is a serious problem. Basically it is a epidemic. I want to know if President George W. Bush was talking about Mexicans when he stated this?

"Immigrants come with new skills and new ideas. They fill a critical part in our labor market.,"
"Not only do immigrants help build our economy, they help invigorate our soul
,"

I don't think so. So if 57% of Mexicans have been on welfare (And making money on the side cutting lawns, etc), what will happen if Obama initiates 'Immigration Reform' during his second term? What he would be doing is importing poverty.

Fifty-seven percent of Mexican immigrants on welfare - Spokane Immigration | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
In before a weak-minded liberal....

That's wacist!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
This is a serious problem. Basically it is a epidemic. I want to know if President George W. Bush was talking about Mexicans when he stated this?

"Immigrants come with new skills and new ideas. They fill a critical part in our labor market.,"
"Not only do immigrants help build our economy, they help invigorate our soul
,"

I don't think so. So if 57% of Mexicans have been on welfare (And making money on the side cutting lawns, etc), what will happen if Obama initiates 'Immigration Reform' during his second term? What he would be doing is importing poverty.

Fifty-seven percent of Mexican immigrants on welfare - Spokane Immigration | Examiner.com
Do your kids get reduced-cost lunches?: That is what CIS calls "welfare" usage...

Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
I wish the day would come when folks would read the article or study that is the basis for the blog or Faux News story that they base their rant on....

Immigrants in the United States: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies

57% Of Mexicans Are On Welfare: in this case welfare is being broadly defined as ANY government program for the poor. In the case of Mexican immigrants the overwhelming programs that they rely on are food stamps and medicad which indicates that the study has no bearing on the work status of the families being included.

But there are some other strange numbers on the chart below which I'll have to get back to or others can dissect in the meantime.

http://cis.org/sites/default/files/2012-profile-t12.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-06-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I wish the day would come when folks would read the article or study that is the basis for the blog or Faux News story that they base their rant on....

Immigrants in the United States: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies

57% Of Mexicans Are On Welfare: in this case welfare is being broadly defined as ANY government program for the poor. In the case of Mexican immigrants the overwhelming programs that they rely on are food stamps and medicad which indicates that the study has no bearing on the work status of the families being included.

But there are some other strange numbers on the chart below which I'll have to get back to or others can dissect in the meantime.
Either way that's taxpayer monies being used by immigrants. So.......I understand you don't have a problem with that because mexican immigrants, generally speaking, are a democratic voting bloc but you're buying those votes with my tax money. That may benefit you but doesn't do much for me.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Maybe we need to try what nearly every other country does...be selective about who we allow to immigrate here. Review their skills and ability to support themselves before opening the door. Perhaps mandate a minimum amount of savings before we let someone in.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,681,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Maybe we need to try what nearly every other country does...be selective about who we allow to immigrate here. Review their skills and ability to support themselves before opening the door. Perhaps mandate a minimum amount of savings before we let someone in.
That's mostly what we do... But it is racist.

Because according to a lot of bleeding hearts, the poor, uneducated, unskilled just want to come for a better life and it is unfair to have such high standards that keep them out of the country. When we mention the US accepts over a million legal immigrants a year, they say it discriminates against the poor because they don't have the money or they can't wait...

As if a Green Card were a right.

Then they spout those famous words "Give me your poor, your tired, your hungry...." as if it were the law.

Long gone are the times when people actually wanted to come here for a better life and to become Americans. Nowadays they just cross the border illegally and demand the government and the American people to legalize them and cater to them.

They have no shame. They have no fear. Why? We have sent the message: "come here illegally and we will look the other way".

This whole thing makes my blood boil because I am the daughter of a legal immigrant from South America who also had a dream... But waited in line to come here and never lived off the taxpayer. And he assimilated.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Either way that's taxpayer monies being used by immigrants. So.......I understand you don't have a problem with that because mexican immigrants, generally speaking, are a democratic voting bloc but you're buying those votes with my tax money. That may benefit you but doesn't do much for me.
Yes, this was just an attempt to deflect the issue. NO immigrants should get welfare or any form of public assistants. If you come here you should pay your own way. I don't care if you Mexican, English, or Martian. Some of the worst abuses of the system I've seen have actually been so called "refugees" from the former Soviet Union. Thousands of them came here in the early to mid 90s and brought there entire extended families with them. While the young ones often get decent jobs, the truth is for each one that is working there are three or four that a purely living off of the state.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,513,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's a very liberal, Big Government solution. If you look at the history of immigration control, you'll see that the original supporters of immigration restrictions were labor unions who wanted to to limit the availability of non-union labor in this country.

The true conservative approach would be unlimited immigration with a basic check for criminal history, then they compete on the open market for available jobs. This was essentially the policy we had at Ellis Island and the great European immigration of the 19th century. It's also in line with free enterprise, open markets approaches (labor is its own market).

I never thought you were a big Pro-Union type.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Sad sad table. In most cases immigrant households outnumber native households.
Given the state of the global environment, I don't see those numbers going down.

I'm not surprised though that Mexico is the top country. We have the poor families coming here where the parents are not well educated and work menial jobs. And they come here because US benefits are ten fold better than what they got in their home countries.

And if you cut those benefits you'll see pockets of true third world living conditions springing up all over the US.
We already have colonias here in the border states and Texas has the most with near 500K living without potable water, sewer and other basic necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies