Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times

Advertisements

A lot of Texans were happy to receive refunds for their policies. Our resident Happy Texan, couldn't be more unhappy about it (as he/she is, for pretty much anything).

Getting $795 in the mail is normally a good thing, but Katy Fernandez saw it as evidence of something she had long suspected.

"We were being overcharged."

Fernandez, her husband, Louis, and their daughter Sarah each received rebates for their individual health insurance policies last month, three of the 1.5 million Texans to benefit from a provision of the Affordable Care Act that requires insurance companies to return a portion of the premiums if they spend less than 80 percent on medical care.

Texans get nearly $167 million in health insurance rebates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A lot of Texans were happy to receive refunds for their policies. Our resident Happy Texan, couldn't be more unhappy about it (as he/she is, for pretty much anything).

Getting $795 in the mail is normally a good thing, but Katy Fernandez saw it as evidence of something she had long suspected.

Fernandez, her husband, Louis, and their daughter Sarah each received rebates for their individual health insurance policies last month, three of the 1.5 million Texans to benefit from a provision of the Affordable Care Act that requires insurance companies to return a portion of the premiums if they spend less than 80 percent on medical care.

Texas' population is nearly 25 million.
So maybe 6% of people got this rebate, while the other 94% didn't (and have premiums go up, hours reduced, or worse yet let go)... Yay!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
So maybe 6% of people got this rebate, while the other 94% didn't (and have premiums go up, hours reduced, or worse yet let go)... Yay!
Must be nice to get near $800 back.
Average check for those that received them was $150.

Could have been that my company didn't gouge us on high premiums to begin with.
My company used the money for more free wellness programs.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
And must you ignore the percentage of Texans who actually bought health insurance on their own? And like our perpetually unhappy Happy Texan, I assume you too would prefer that the government demand the employers sponsoring insurance to refund their costs to the employees (which, makes up the largest chunk of insured people in Texas)?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,924 times
What rebate checks? Did I miss something? I'll be waiting for my share! Oh, my premiums went up, too.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
What rebate checks? Did I miss something? I'll be waiting for my share! Oh, my premiums went up, too.
Who buys your health insurance?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,210,275 times
I have a Pre-medicare retirement coverage and the corp. I worked for put the rebates back into the system. My Coverage has not gone up since I retired

Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,748,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But..those rebates can be kept by your company and used in the future to "offset increased costs".
That's the letter I got along with my 20% yearly increase in premium for next year.
Your speaking to folks who don't pay for insurance therefore don't have a clue. The could give a **** since its being paid for by someone else.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Obamacare is a good start, but Medicare for all needs to be the final goal. My premiums went down but my insurance company can still deny care. The corporate greedheads need to be removed from the drivers seat and chained up in the back.
Ah yes, because the greedy, CORRUPT politicians should be in charge of your health?

Please show me ONE government agency that:

1. Didn't cost significantly more than predicted.
2. Wasn't full of waste, fraud and abuse.
3. Isn't going broke, or IS broke.

If you think our government won't deny care, you are delusional.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

Um, they were only "overcharged" after the government stepped in and changed the rules, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies