Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times

Advertisements

Alright, having turned the question over, I think I've got a possibility for a genuinely conservative utopia.

Canada.

A monarchy with an unbroken constitutional tradition which has evolved peacefully and gradually, and an orderly, civil society which has successfully combined principles of egalitarianism and elitism. A country where the economy is dynamic but regulated, often self-regulated, in the interests of social peace and order. It comes closest to Burke's ideal of gradual change while preserving what is tested by time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
It's telling that we're nearly 40 posts into this and no one has been able to name a single conservative (in the sense of the US right) country that any sane person would choose to live in.

If one is talking social conservatism, then the middle east clearly "wins" that competition. But why would anyone want to live under a cloud of oppression?

If one is talking about economic conservatism, in which we refuse to invest in our own people and our own country, then just look at most of Africa. Again, why would anyone want to live in a place where one is forced to live in fear because the rule of law doesn't apply? Why would anyone want to give up highways and hospitals and clean water and trade them in for dirt roads, mysticism, and sewage running in the streets? In some ways, sub-Saharan Africa is largely what our right wing proposes - violent kleptocracies where a few at the top do extremely well and everyone else lives in poverty and squalor. And as if that isn't enough, many of those countries also offer up a wide range of social oppression, which should make the Christian right happy.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Alright, having turned the question over, I think I've got a possibility for a genuinely conservative utopia.

Canada.

A monarchy with an unbroken constitutional tradition which has evolved peacefully and gradually, and an orderly, civil society which has successfully combined principles of egalitarianism and elitism. A country where the economy is dynamic but regulated, often self-regulated, in the interests of social peace and order. It comes closest to Burke's ideal of gradual change while preserving what is tested by time.
Game attempt, but labeling Canada 'conservative' in US terms is rather a stretch, wouldn't you say?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's telling that we're nearly 40 posts into this and no one has been able to name a single conservative (in the sense of the US right) country that any sane person would choose to live in.

If one is talking social conservatism, then the middle east clearly "wins" that competition. But why would anyone want to live under a cloud of oppression?

If one is talking about economic conservatism, in which we refuse to invest in our own people and our own country, then just look at most of Africa. Again, why would anyone want to live in a place where one is forced to live in fear because the rule of law doesn't apply? Why would anyone want to give up highways and hospitals and clean water and trade them in for dirt roads, mysticism, and sewage running in the streets? In some ways, sub-Saharan Africa is largely what our right wing proposes - violent kleptocracies where a few at the top do extremely well and everyone else lives in poverty and squalor. And as if that isn't enough, many of those countries also offer up a wide range of social oppression, which should make the Christian right happy.
OK. Now you're changing your parameters because I just offered up a right-wing country, the United States, that I would choose to live. Here are some more conservative countries I'd live in:
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Bahrain
  • Kuwait
  • Indonesia
  • Malaysia
  • Phillipines
  • Singapore
  • Vatican City
  • Poland
Sane people live in these countries.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post

Canada.

Canada was once a great candidate for precisely these reasons. But no more. No western nation can be called "conservative" that wages a war as vicious as Canada has been waging for some time against the family, the unborn, and Christian morality in general.

I don't know of any western nations with genuinely conservative governments anymore. Malta and Liechtenstein are probably the least liberal, but even the good Catholic Prince of Liechtenstein, who heroically threatened to abdicate over the threat to deprive him of veto powers, is a convinced democrat.

Actually, the new Hungarian constitution is very promising. It has infuriated the EU and outraged liberals by explicitly acknowledging the nation's Christian roots, protecting all human life including the unborn, and privileging the natural family. Parents are also allowed to vote on behalf of their underage children, an idea I have long espoused.

I don't know much about Latvia and Lithuania, but these countries have earned the wrath of the EU for their refusals to crack down on "homophobia". So, there are pockets of resistance here and there, but it's all within the paradigm of liberal democracy which is part of the problem.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
It makes no sense to count Muslim nations as "conservative" in sense that is meaningful to Americans or westerners. Conservatism needs a context. An American who wants to "conserve" sharia, jihad, and Islamist tyranny is hardly a conservative American.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The reason why the US is the world leader is due to our conservative principles, the reason why we may not be is due to our regression towards social principles. The countries you cited such as the Scandinavian have incredibly low immigration and from what I understand, it is very difficult for an immigrant to get a job there. Western Europe is failing quickly. Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Portugal are all in bad shape I don't think either of these can be compared to the US.

But if we continue down this path of social regression, we are doomed to be one of those countries headed for destruction.
Other than the size and cost of the military what exactly is the US a world leader in?

All studies and lists that I have seen on just about any empirical measure you can think of indicate that the US is not #1 and is very often not even in the Top 10. Items like education level, life expectancy, quality of life, etc.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:

Most social conservatives in the US would point to a country like Saudi Arabia or Iran as a shining beacon of just how good a theocratic dictatorship can be if they were ruled by Christians instead of Muslims. Social conservatives don't object to the way Saudi Arabia operates just the flavor of religious dogma that is used as the basis for oppression.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Game attempt, but labeling Canada 'conservative' in US terms is rather a stretch, wouldn't you say?
I suppose by "US terms" you mean the laissez-faire libertarian liberalism which is the dominant ideology in the Republican Party at the moment; then yes, Canada is nothing close to a laissez-faire liberal utopia, but we're no longer talking about conservatism.

But a laissez-faire utopian state is an oxymoron, since the logical extremity of laissez-faire liberalism is anarcho-capitalism - the existence of no state at all. We can't name it, because if it had a name, it'd be a state, and then it wouldn't be the anarcho-capitalist's paradise. There is no answer to your riddle.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Social conservatives don't object to the way Saudi Arabia operates just the flavor of religious dogma that is used as the basis for oppression.
That's ridiculous and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies