U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM

22,769 posts, read 29,417,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Even if you believed that it was pure economic development, how do free-market conservatives manage to praise this sort of behavior?
by not thinking too hard about it, or anything else.

basically they say, "We have to offer subsidies to compete!"

With subsidies it's easy to quantify the benefits and difficult to quantify the costs, which leads some "conservatives" to believe that there are no costs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 27,759,371 times
Right Wing by definition, is about promoting aristocracy/oligarchy. The idea they spew with "free market" is simply a music that has a good sound to the ears, for the same effect.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 81,068,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
by not thinking too hard about it, or anything else.

basically they say, "We have to offer subsidies to compete!"

With subsidies it's easy to quantify the benefits and difficult to quantify the costs, which leads some "conservatives" to believe that there are no costs.
Until the company you subsidized goes belly up and then you realize your mistakes.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM

42,168 posts, read 23,234,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What do you call it when cities and states give companies tax free status for 10-15 years to relocate and even have been known to give them free land to build factories on just to get them to come locate in their area? What do you call it when cities and states build roads and sewer and water lines to certain places just to get a business to come in without giving that company an assessment to cover the costs of providing them with that service? I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong to do these things BUT conservatives who say free market should control everything aren't acknowledging that the government helps many so-called free market businesses.
I am basically not with giving companies money directly.

Government does handle sewer, water, and electric. Like I said - I'm ok with a one time subsidy or waiver of assessment in that manner. Make it public so that everyone knows about the waiver - that should be done.

Something like you describe does not insert money in the regular revenue flow of the company - so it is not too much of a big deal to me.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM

22,769 posts, read 29,417,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Until the company you subsidized goes belly up and then you realize your mistakes.
Right, well usually that's the next guy's problem.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM

31,381 posts, read 35,560,640 times
Quote:
You have to become a minority owned business to get government favors.
That will come as news to Haliburton, Boeing, United Technologies, Riceland Foods Inc, or Tyler Farms.

What you've left out of your claim is that minority and women set-asides for federal contracts are for SMALL businesses and the contracts or that only 35% of all federal small business contracts go to minority owned SMALL businesses.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 81,068,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That will come as news to Haliburton, Boeing, United Technologies, Riceland Foods Inc, or Tyler Farms.

What you've left out of your claim is that minority and women set-asides for federal contracts are for SMALL businesses and the contracts or that only 35% of all federal small business contracts go to minority owned SMALL businesses.
For small business. Those big guys are so big and have deep pockets and connections that no new players could possibly get in that game.

When it comes to business there are layers and you should realize that.

Sorry I didn't qualify my comments. I thought they were assumed to apply to small business.

You also have a better chance at the city/state level to get contracts.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM

31,381 posts, read 35,560,640 times
Quote:
For small business. Those big guys are so big and have deep pockets and connections that no new players could possibly get in that game.
Yet you failed to mention that leaving only the impression that women and minorities are the recipient of governmental largesse. This is a recurring conservative theme, point fingers at the historically left out while leaving the historically privileged untouched. If you want to talk about divisive, I can think of nothing more malevolently divisive than pitting those with little to nothing against one another while leaving the rich and powerful to their own devices.

Quote:
Sorry I didn't qualify my comments. I thought they were assumed to apply to small business.
You know what they say about assuming.

Quote:
You also have a better chance at the city/state level to get contracts.
Depends on the city and the state both of which have their own versions of the big guys.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM

48,504 posts, read 93,173,913 times
Why not. You do also if you look closely enough. If they took away all loopholes and dedcutions its sadit aht 50 Billion will hit the rich and companies and 240 billion general lower taxpayers.Appox 50% of government spendig is on entitlement programs.If you take dedcution individually;on interest paid on home.do not pay taxes on benefits your are subsidised.No one I know pays o all compensation with no decutions.You in fact say even your job is subsidise in realty.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 5,841,583 times
Quote:
Hire a Black Hispanic woman and make her the CEO.
You'll be turning down government contracts because you are so busy.

I was actually approached and offered a CEO (in name only) position when a bunch of guys left my company to start their own.
They wanted to get the steady government contracts and with me as CEO (woman) they could qualify as a minority owned business.
I said Thanks but no thanks.
I would have never guessed you were a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies