Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
With the technology we have now, you can IMO keep your gun loaded in the house and out of the reach of children. At my house we have a safe for our gun that opens with fingerprint recognition technology. The kids cannot open it but I or my husband can in an emergency. If people are serious about protecting their homes AND their family, they will keep their guns out of the hands of young children in situations such as what occurred in the OP article.

Such a tragic situation and I'm sure it will scar the 4 year old for life. I cannot imagine the pain my 4 year old would feel knowing she did something like that. She gets sad when she kills a bug let alone a baby.

I so agree with you, we are like you. Have our guns put in the safe as you do, any kid as you know with the new technology, cannot open the safe, no matter how hard they try. Both of us can, but no one else.

I come from a hunting family background, hated it, but that was reality. My brother and myself, and my cousins were shooting from the time we were around 7 to 10 yrs old. We learned how to shoot, clean the guns, and all about the safety. That still did not mean that guns were left around the house. They were at that time in a regular safe.

This is a very tragic situation, and has happened more then once. It is only common sense that should tell any adult, that guns and kids don't mix.
I am more then sure that this 4 yrd old will be scared for life, and this is sad.

As little kids, we knew what guns did, we also were taught about the dangers of guns, that is why we learned how to shoot, from an early age, about safety, and also how to clean the gun which i hated.

Guns and children are a bad mix, if a loaded gun, is in arms reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
In Minneapolis.

This is not an "anti-gun" question, but a home protection one.

In the article, the police office was paraphrased as saying:

He said the shooting underscores the need for firearm owners storing their weapons to keep them unloaded, with ammunition stored separately, and secure them under lock and key.

Toddler shot to death by another child in Minneapolis | StarTribune.com

If your gun is locked away, unloaded, and with ammunition stored separately, and someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night (for example), is there time to grab the key, unlock the safe (or whatever), take the separately stored ammunition, put the ammunition in the gun, and have it at the ready?

Now, I completely understand the reasoning behind such measures (and this tragedy underlines this reasoning), but that question popped into my mind.

tell me how many cops go home after work, unload their firearms and store both in seperate locations?

no, there is not time to get your ammo from the safe, grab your gun and still triple tap the crook.

when seconds count, the cops are minutes or hours away.

my youngest daughter knew gun safety since she was 4, and has been shooting since she was 5. kids are smart enough to learn, some people just dont want to teach them firearm safety.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
tell me how many cops go home after work, unload their firearms and store both in seperate locations?

no, there is not time to get your ammo from the safe, grab your gun and still triple tap the crook.

when seconds count, the cops are minutes or hours away.

my youngest daughter knew gun safety since she was 4, and has been shooting since she was 5. kids are smart enough to learn, some people just dont want to teach them firearm safety.
Exactly. The article points to non-existing parenting as the problem, not the presence of a gun. Like you, I was taught about guns at an early age, they were just something we didn't think about "playing" with as kids. There was no "forbidden fruit" issue since we were able to handle and shoot them regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies