Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Mexico has to do with the U.S.?
Get out an atlas and check it out, they are our neighbors and here we are acting like a backwards country discriminating against their people. It is about time for the USA to back up their slogan of land of the free with total freedom and equality for ALL of its citizens, including the minorities, all of the minorities, not just those chosen. Other wise why do we celebrate the 4th of July. I often hear we are supposed to be the best country in the world, the most advanced and most free. Not when a religious majority takes charge and discriminates. WE just look pathetic and stuck in the early 1900's where freedom for all was not common.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
The saddest part about all of this is that gay marriage will become legal in the U.S. once the 50+ population dies. It's sad because good people are dying today without ever having been granted recognition that their loving relationships are just as valuable as their straight counterparts.
Most of my siblings are up to ten years older than me, my partner is 67 and his sisters are older than he is, they all support gay marriage. My garden client tomorrow is an elder couple in their late 80's and they support it and voted no on Prop 8. In the county I live, Humboldt California is mostly farming, fishing, logging and ranching, yet 60% voted no on H8. WE will overcome this hate and marriage equality will win with the those against equality going in the history books looking like the people who fought interracial marriage and school integration and womens suffrage. We cannot go forward by going backward.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
The saddest part about all of this is that gay marriage will become legal in the U.S. once the 50+ population dies. It's sad because good people are dying today without ever having been granted recognition that their loving relationships are just as valuable as their straight counterparts.
Not all of us over 50s, it's more the religious whackaloons and fearful idiots of every generation.
I work with some under 50s who are vehemently against it because of their fairy tale.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not all of us over 50s, it's more the religious whackaloons and fearful idiots of every generation.
I work with some under 50s who are vehemently against it because of their fairy tale.
Like the Turks?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I like how people act like this is a US only forum, when it's under the general forums category, not the US forums.

So yes, this discussion belongs.

Yes.

it's relevant.

As it points out that the US is really becoming that backwards.
Of course if the US is really backwards --- why is it that MILLIONS of Mexicans are fleeing their progressive nation to get to the USA? As backwards as we might be -- the whole world would prefer to live here.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It was a unanimous ruling. Same-sex marriage will be legal throughout all of Mexico.

Mexican Supreme Court rules for marriage equality - Salon.com
¡Que viva Mexico!

If a hyper CAtholic country like Mexico can do this, why can't the United Statea?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So you'd feel better about America if a group of unelected justices overruled the expressed will of the people?
Civil rights need to be immune from the "expressed will of the people."

A 1965 Gallup poll revealed that 72% of Southern whites were against interracial marriage. Loving v. Virginia was decided in 1967, despite popular opinion of the time.

If you had any civics education at all you would know that the judicial branch of the federal government and state governments exist to interpret the laws AND dispense justice. Dispensing justice isn't just sending the bad guys to jail but to specifically deal with injustices suffered by people and classifications of people discriminated against by the majority.

The reason why judges SHOULD NOT be elected is so they do not have to answer to a majority. Having to answer to a majority inherently corrupts the judicial process.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So you'd feel better about America if a group of unelected justices overruled the expressed will of the people?
It was a group of unelected justices overruling the expressed will of the majority who made interracial marriage legal. That is often the role of the judicial branch of our government. To lead our country in expanding rights and privileges, rather than restricting them based on prejudice and bias. Fortunately, our unelected justices don't have to pander to the people, they can rationally weigh the issues without discriminating against the minority in order to keep their jobs. You do realize that the Bill of Rights exists to protect the MINORITY from discrimination by the MAJORITY. And it is those rights in the Bill of Rights that are most often cited by the Supreme Court in their rulings that override the "expressed will of the people".

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Well, everyone "stole my thunder."

Yes! It is proper and fitting for the courts to stand up and defend the rights of minority groups, when "the tyranny of the majority" would trample on them.

That is why the court is separate and independent of the politicians and elected officials.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course if the US is really backwards --- why is it that MILLIONS of Mexicans are fleeing their progressive nation to get to the USA? As backwards as we might be -- the whole world would prefer to live here.
How arrogant!!!! NO, the whole world does not want to live in the US! Just because people from poor countries try to immigrate because they have this stupid notion that the streets are paved with gold, does not mean the whole world wants to live in the US. It is NOT the greatest country in the world.

Go ahead. Call me anti-American. I'm anti American arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies