Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why don't you lefties knit your own damn clothes if your so worried about sweatshops and turn off that damn computer. Gimme a break.
As I've said before, I'm not a leftie, it is just you're so far right, everyone looks left to you.

I do the jobs I do best for myself and pay others to do things I don't do so well. But thanks for your stupid advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Smart move. Thank you Wal-Mart for keeping prices low. I no longer have to choose between buying hemmorhoid ointment and jock itch cream. I can now afford both. Makes my life much better.

From the stupid pansy ass link:

"Half of Bangladesh's clothing factories do not currently meet legal safety requirements."

Maybe the Bangladesh government should start enforcing their laws.
The very fact that governments have to have laws in place so that workers can have safe working environments points to the fact that if left unregulated a substantial number of companies simply won't "Do The Right Thing" when it come to creating safe working environments are not exploiting workers.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I wonder how many here don't give a damn about kids burning up in sweatshops for profit but scream that abortion is MURDERING BAAAAAABIES!!!!!
That's how the mind of a conservative works.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's how the mind of a conservative works.
Oh come on. The left do it as well.

Look at those movie stars that have their own line of clothing and the faux outrage they have when it's published that their designer line is made in a foreign sweatshop.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
That's a good point.

Can't really blame Wall Mart for the corruption and shoddy practices of foreign govts.
So in other words you are perfectly fine with Wal-Mart and other multinational corporations f**king over people in other countries, simply because they can?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Typical leftie! Let the unions ruin another business. But, but, but....I though ya'll cry about needing jobs.
Exactly! This deadly fire is a necessary evil for "Right to Work!"

Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The very fact that governments have to have laws in place so that workers can have safe working environments points to the fact that if left unregulated a substantial number of companies simply won't "Do The Right Thing" when it come to creating safe working environments are not exploiting workers.
It's not Walmart's job to ensure the safety of offshore factories. The high end designer clothing sold for top $ in Neiman marcus comes from the same places as do Walmart's clothing.

Unless a government, funded by and for the people, steps up and creates and enforces laws, working conditions and safety risks are similar to what they were in the U.S. 100 years ago. Work 12-19 hour days, 6 days a week, knowing that one of your co-workers was going to die while on the job, this week for a lousy $1 a week.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Do you have proof that the goods sold at the big high end department stores are made in safe factories?

Good question! We do know that Trump's clothing line, sold at Macy's, is also produced in Bangladesh.

letterman trump - YouTube

Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Exactly! This deadly fire is a necessary evil for "Right to Work!"
You are projecting US politics and US political parties on another country.
Bangladesh does not have Democrats vs Republicans with the Republicans in charge.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Here is the thing that just drives me absolute nuts. Like the entire point and benefit of globalization has been hidden . . .because it isn't that obvious.

Sure you compare your life to those of someone working in a factory like this and your pretty shocked. Yet you do forget about the other options. I mean Sweat Shops are a step up from what they did before. Sweat Shops actually put money on their table. Sweat shops actually gives them enough money to send a kid to school instead of making them work in the local field.

These countries must walk, before they run, before they climb. It has happened before. It is happening right now. These conditions have been a huge benefit . . .it is the countries without this stability to bring these jobs that are trapped . . .Afghanistan for instance.

Oh and - every study I've seen show that at least for most companies I deal with, Kids aren't working at these places.
The scary part is that the American middle class is headed back to those conditions as employers fight for less regulations and "right to work" legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies