Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,857,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
If you only knew what those who work at CIA do for you ... to protect you as an American. Boo hiss on this protest.
If you only knew how much killing and misery has been created around the world by the CIA to advance the wants of corporations you would be out there Saturday morning with us.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While it is a human rights issue, it is also, most certainly, a political issue.
It is a human rights issue that is affected by politics.
To often calling it a political issue is code for saying we can't talk about it be it here in this particular forum or even in our churches because we are not allowed to bring politics into church even though people are dying.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,696,200 times
I drive by Langley often on my way to work. In general, I have the utmost respect for those who work there, as well as the agents in the field. There are, of course, always bad apples. Protesting those who work to protect you just seems like a bad idea in every way I can think of.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The first time I saw the photo that shows the guy carrying the sign "Create Peace Without Weapons," I thought it said "Create Peace Without Wegmens."

I guess suburban life can narrow one's horizons.
This is true that is one of the reasons we are bringing the protest into the suburbs, people get to confortable in their houses with their nice lawns, busy soccer moms etc. People are so isolated in their own little worlds to worry about people getting killed half way around the world.

People may look at a newspapper and see that some villagers were killed in a drone attack and say to themselves that it is such a shame for that to happen but then they just go on to the business section and the sports page and don't give it a second thought
but what if they knew one of those people that were killed be it a friend or relative.

We have to start recognising other people as our brothers and sisters or else it will aways be us and them.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,929 times
Ive sworn off political threads but

CIA is implementing. The decision to use drones is made by the White House. A decision undertaken after consideration of the strategic alternatives. And I might add, with the human rights implications of those alternatives - certainly sending a hundred thousand American soldiers to Yemen or Somalia is not going to be without its impact on civilians. And refraining from taking action against Al Qaeda will also have impacts on civilians - in the countries involved - and if an attack takes place again on US soil, quite possibly on civil rights here.

There is of course no reason not to discuss the morality of particular forms of warfare in a house of worship. The limitation is on endorsement of politicians and political parties (and of course you are free to discuss those things if you are willing to risk your tax exemption) not on discussion of politics - though your denomination may differ on that (Pax Christi is RC, correct?)

Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
but what if they knew one of those people that were killed be it a friend or relative.
My daughter lived in Israel during 2010-2011. Certain towns near where she lived were off limits to kids in her program due to terrorist rocket attacks. You can be assured when I hear of a drone strike killing a terrorist leader I do NOT say "its a shame for that to happen". Its a shame terrorist leaders live among civilians, but other than refining the accuracy of our attacks, I don't see an answer for that.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And I don't care for lawns, btw.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,116,894 times
This thread was moved to the Politics forum from the Northern Virginia forum due to its general content.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I drive by Langley often on my way to work. In general, I have the utmost respect for those who work there, as well as the agents in the field. There are, of course, always bad apples. Protesting those who work to protect you just seems like a bad idea in every way I can think of.
Can you explain exactly how the killing of some indigenous people in some poor barren land halfway around the world is protecting me?
If anything we create more terrorist then we kill.

Maybe it is because many of you do not know anyone that has been tortured, raped or murderd by the CIA and their operations that you have such a carefree attitude. One does not have to look far just look south and what has happened in Latin America.

Listen to Sr. Dianna Ortiz tell her story about what happened to her at the hands of the CIA at the link below.

Sister Dianna Ortiz Details Her Abduction and Torture by U.S.-Backed Guatemalan Military

Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My daughter lived in Israel during 2010-2011. Certain towns near where she lived were off limits to kids in her program due to terrorist rocket attacks. You can be assured when I hear of a drone strike killing a terrorist leader I do NOT say "its a shame for that to happen". Its a shame terrorist leaders live among civilians, but other than refining the accuracy of our attacks, I don't see an answer for that.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And I don't care for lawns, btw.
That is nothing to compare what the Palestinians have to suffer at the hands of the Israelis.
The Israelis are practicing apartheid and genocide against the Palestinian people.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I would make a joke about suburban white collar drones here, but that would mark me as a liberal urbanist hipster.

A liberal hipster who supports drones (far better than either A. land wars in asia or B. Massive restrictions on civil liberties at home). Though of course as with ALL aerial bombardment I hope we can get more accurate and reduce harm to civilians. And I am grateful to the tech folks who live in NoVa who are pursuing advances that will make that possible, even if they live lifestyles I myself would not choose.
I guess you haven't heard of the NDAA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.