Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

52% combined fed/state tax for the very top I assume? With the many exemptions available, I doubt if any of them are going to pay near 52%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You are a liar and no one in California pays a 50% of their income in taxes. What they do pay is a 50% gross rate on the last 1/5th of income before deductions. The effective tax rate for these people combined Fed and state is likely more around 15%-25%.

That's a fact, son.
I love the fact that people are gullible enough to think that they are taxed on all their income.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM

990 posts, read 938,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I just don't understand how in a "free" country, anyone could be subject to paying HALF (or more) of their income to the government. It just isn't acceptable.
So what did you think about the 1950s where the same people were subject to a 91% Federal Income tax?

This marginal increase in taxes will not have a negative effect on California because we already pay astronomically high taxes in comparison to other states and yet we're still the most populous state in the country.

Maybe it's because you get what you pay for...
We have the best economy, the best weather, the best looking women and the best food (other than Vegas, NYC and New Orleans).
I can easily move to Nevada and pay 0% state income tax...but I wont because I prefer living here in the paradise known as San Diego.

My father owns a second home in Nevada so he doesn't really need to do much to avoid the California taxes, and yet he STILL claims residency in California because it's a better place to be. He's obviously in the top bracket considering the fact that he owns multiple homes.

Oregon and Nevada are both income tax havens...guess what, rich people haven't flocked to those states to avoid taxes and they haven't become hotbeds of economic prosperity. California still has the nation's largest economy and will continue to have it after these taxes go into effect.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
I just don't understand how in a "free" country, anyone could be subject to paying HALF (or more) of their income to the government. It just isn't acceptable.
How? They voted for it. Overwhelmingly so, I might add.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Sad. Nobody, I don't care how "rich" you are should have to work to the point that someone else gets more of their income than they get to take home.

Millions of Americans work to the point their landlords get more of their income than they themselves do.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzymuscle25 View Post
Capitol Alert: High-income Californians may pay nation's highest tax rate

Here we go.. over that cliff.. and everyone will pay.. and the most liberal states will be paying the most.. Fork over 50%+ of your pay California, New York and Hawii.. Its what they wanted!
Only workers pay that. People who sleep in and look over their assets in their bathrobes at noon are doing great.

They froze property taxes. That means land owners will vote for public amenities like parks, fountains, special schools, and transportation infrastructure that raises their property values. The workers will pay for it.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually it is a 3% tax increase to 13% of the monetary state tax. In reality, they would still see a small difference with what they currently pay taxes and it would only effect the top incomes in the state, not all of California.
Except that Prop 30 is not only an income tax hike, but a a sales tax hike as well. There were 230 bond, tax and fee increases proposed in Cali. Over 100 were backed by teachers to raise funds for... teachers!

How many tax increases will ‘fix’ California? | CalWatchDog

California is being steered by the wacko progressives infesting San Francisco and Los Angeles. The rest of us; the moderates, the fiscally responsible, have no say. We are watching the richest state in the Union become the liberal gutter (the France) of the US.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
So what did you think about the 1950s where the same people were subject to a 91% Federal Income tax?

This marginal increase in taxes will not have a negative effect on California because we already pay astronomically high taxes in comparison to other states and yet we're still the most populous state in the country.

Maybe it's because you get what you pay for...
We have the best economy, the best weather, the best looking women and the best food (other than Vegas, NYC and New Orleans).
I can easily move to Nevada and pay 0% state income tax...but I wont because I prefer living here in the paradise known as San Diego.

My father owns a second home in Nevada so he doesn't really need to do much to avoid the California taxes, and yet he STILL claims residency in California because it's a better place to be. He's obviously in the top bracket considering the fact that he owns multiple homes.

Oregon and Nevada are both income tax havens...guess what, rich people haven't flocked to those states to avoid taxes and they haven't become hotbeds of economic prosperity. California still has the nation's largest economy and will continue to have it after these taxes go into effect.
The fact of the matter is, California is where the money is at. People are not gonna dump California just because income tax rates were raised a little when they have a lot of capital, both monetary and human, to work with.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Millions of Americans work to the point their landlords get more of their income than they themselves do.
Don't worry, Obama already has a plan to tax rental income. Since he also wants to remove mortgage interest deductions (double taxing both lender and borrower), maybe he can bankrupt the 80% of landlords who own just 1-4 units and barely cover their mortgages.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Except that Prop 30 is not only an income tax hike, but a a sales tax hike as well. There were 230 bond, tax and fee increases proposed in Cali. Over 100 were backed by teachers to raise funds for... teachers!

How many tax increases will ‘fix’ California? | CalWatchDog

California is being steered by the wacko progressives infesting San Francisco and Los Angeles. The rest of us; the moderates, the fiscally responsible, have no say. We are watching the richest state in the Union become the liberal gutter (the France) of the US.
Actually you did have a say if you voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies