Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,606,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think it's really sad because all we are doing is setting our grandchildren up to have to fight the same battles that our grandparents fought for a decent standard of living for doing a job.

The next thing they will attack is some basics, like overtime for over 8 hours and 40 hours a week and the 40 hour work week will fall after that. If a guy hurts himself building an F150 Ford will just fire him for cause and refuse his worker's comp claims.

What kind of a country are we building here?
Agreed. Everyone should watch the documentary "Harlan County USA" about what it was like for the miners of Eastern Kentucky in the early '70s before they got unions. [a link to clips of it on youtube]

And sadly, the new generation of miners don't see why unions are necessary.

UMWA has no working miners in Eastern Kentucky, but union's heritage remains strong

Harlan County USA - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,920,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I found this interesting graph on another CF thread (thanx GTAtech)
Unions have nothing to do with that. Who passed Nafta and started all the offshoring? Who signed nafta? Who supported the guy who signed nafta? You guessed it.

25,744 posts, read 16,362,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Show me who is trying to get rid of OSHA laws and I'll be on board with your rant. Until then continue ranting.
Show me a time when OSHA gets involved in a worker's comp dispute and I'll call that a first. All they are interested in are safety statistics and fines.

If a man ruins his back on a job OSHA couldn't care less.

717 posts, read 645,316 times
What's with the comment on 'left-handers'?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM

10,012 posts, read 9,439,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The Republicons flexing their cheeks again to dump on the middle and working classes and American democracy. Lyin' Snyder.
You mean the unions for the public workers financially raping the taxpayers.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,259,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It's simple enough to figure out, the rich, wealthy right wing want's to crush unions so their buddies in big biz will pay the lowest wages possible, and laughing all the way to the bank. All they're concerned about are PROFITS.
Nope, the truth is, our governor is actually concerned about the lack of new jobs in our state due to the crushing union presence and is all about job creation and growth. Last time I checked, those two things HELP the middle class.

That's okay, you just keep on adrinkin' that Kool-aid. I bet you aren't a blue collar worker from Michigan who was priced out of a job by the union...

Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Show me a time when OSHA gets involved in a worker's comp dispute and I'll call that a first. All they are interested in are safety statistics and fines.

If a man ruins his back on a job OSHA couldn't care less.
Yeah who cares about safety right. Unions don't at all do they. LOL

Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,208,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Nope, the truth is, our governor is actually concerned about the lack of new jobs in our state due to the crushing union presence and is all about job creation and growth. Last time I checked, those two things HELP the middle class.

That's okay, you just keep on adrinkin' that Kool-aid. I bet you aren't a blue collar worker from Michigan who was priced out of a job by the union...
You didn't need to go here because I voiced my opinion.

And I reside in the union busting state of Wisconsin. Are you trying to tell me that I should not voice my opinions because I do not reside in Michigan? what was your finer point of the discussion again?

Two things help the middle class, good pay, and a healthy working environment.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Tell that to Obama. His green job policy hasn't provided any of that.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM

25,744 posts, read 16,362,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah who cares about safety right. Unions don't at all do they. LOL
See, that's where you're wrong. My buddy at work has had 3 back surgeries from injuries from the late 80's and early 90's. This last one the company tried to deny the claim. The union sent their lawyer on the day they were to start court the company agreed to all expenses as they should have.

These companies are pushing rules to the limit now and trampling on workers who won't stand up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies