Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

There's another catch 22 in this mandate.

Many insurance companies and Medicare,like auto repair shops, have an authorized number of dollars per condition they allow.
"Then there is DRG billing, which refers to diagnosis related groups and is the form of payment used by Medicare and Medicaid primarily (though there are some commercial insurances who use it, too). Perhaps you have heard the term “perspective payment system”. If you didn’t know what that is – DRG is part of the perspective payment system. A DRG is a 3-digit code that looks like this – 123."
Healthcare is Business: Do the Math: Insurance Dictates Hospital Costs

Keep a patient longer out of medical concerns and suck up the cost.
Will they do that or will every bill go up to cover the eventuality? You guess.

Our regional hospital administrator, in a interview, responded tactfully by promising trying to improve discharge instructions and followup with patients after discharge in the hopes of bettering compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I didn't understand the part how hospitals will have to give substandard care if they didn't fix the problems that the patients have had in the first place? Or let them stay in hospital longer to sort them out?
Do you have any idea how this will drive up costs?

Some patients are chronically ill. Sometimes the patient appears well but has a relapse. Are we now supposed to give all patients extended stays so that we can catch these?

Let's say a patient has AIDS and becomes ill enough to require hospitalization. They get him well enough to go home but he gets sick again in three weeks. Why is this the hospital's fault?

My prediction is that medicine will become the kind of cluster $%^@ that education is. That's what you get when people outside of the profession start telling you how to run your profession.

Whether a patient needs to be readmitted is a medical question NOT a political one. You can't outline it in a document. You can't fine it out of existence. What the fines do is insure sub standard care for the next 30 days after a hospitalization if you happen to need to be readmitted. Or hosiptals simply will not let patients go home and prescribe work arounds until they're eligible for readmittance....

Therea re too many conditions that can have complications after the fact. Costs are going to go way up if they have to keep patients until they're certain there aren't any. When I was released after dd#2's birth, it was "Come back if you have any complcations". Now it will be, you can't go home until we're sure you won't have any complications. That's going to drive costs up AND have a lot of hospital beds in use by people who could be released from a medical perspective.

I've had several procedures done where the doctors have informed me of the possible complications and simply told me to get my butt back to the hospital if I have any. If only 1 in 10 patients has them and you're forced to keep all patients several days longer to catch that one, how much have your costs gone up?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There's another catch 22 in this mandate.

Many insurance companies and Medicare,like auto repair shops, have an authorized number of dollars per condition they allow.
"Then there is DRG billing, which refers to diagnosis related groups and is the form of payment used by Medicare and Medicaid primarily (though there are some commercial insurances who use it, too). Perhaps you have heard the term “perspective payment system”. If you didn’t know what that is – DRG is part of the perspective payment system. A DRG is a 3-digit code that looks like this – 123."
Healthcare is Business: Do the Math: Insurance Dictates Hospital Costs

Keep a patient longer out of medical concerns and suck up the cost.
Will they do that or will every bill go up to cover the eventuality? You guess.

Our regional hospital administrator, in a interview, responded tactfully by promising trying to improve discharge instructions and followup with patients after discharge in the hopes of bettering compliance.
Every bill will go up to cover the fines.

If doctors could predict which patients will have complications, they would keep them in the hospital. The problem is, they can't. They're not omnipotent.

I had a procedure done, years ago, where my doctor gave me a choice between 3 days in the hospital or doing it as an outpatient but I had to agree to go home and stay in bed for three days. I chose the latter. He informed me of what to look for so I knew if I needed to come back and I had his number. They won't be able to do this under obamacare. The cost of that three day hospital stay would have been 20 times the cost of the procedure itself.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Every bill will go up to cover the fines.

If doctors could predict which patients will have complications, they would keep them in the hospital. The problem is, they can't. They're not omnipotent.

I had a procedure done, years ago, where my doctor gave me a choice between 3 days in the hospital or doing it as an outpatient but I had to agree to go home and stay in bed for three days. I chose the latter. He informed me of what to look for so I knew if I needed to come back and I had his number. They won't be able to do this under obamacare. The cost of that three day hospital stay would have been 20 times the cost of the procedure itself.
I'm certainly no fan of the ACA but why are you saying this?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
[/b]

People will need to wait until it is too late, so they die. How is that for fixing your problem you will be dead but then we won't need to pay for your health problems anymore.
Here she comes ~ Drama Mama!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Well perhaps hospitals will not release patients without giving them necessary testing instead of releasing misdiagnosed patients who are forced to return again as the hospital didn't take care of their medical problem/s the first time they were admitted.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well perhaps hospitals will not release patients without giving them necessary testing instead of releasing misdiagnosed patients who are forced to return again as the hospital didn't take care of their medical problem/s the first time they were admitted.
How can one misdiagnose a heart attack ? That is one of the three issues they are monitoring and penalizing.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How can one misdiagnose a heart attack ? That is one of the three issues they are monitoring and penalizing.
Who is talking about heart attacks? In my case, I was misdiagnosed when I really had appendicitis and one can die from a ruptured appendix.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
I guess the docs will get some type of all knowing ability now? Folks health care workers are not God, you just cannot forecast everything.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Who is talking about heart attacks? In my case, I was misdiagnosed when I really had appendicitis and one can die from a ruptured appendix.
Were you admitted or was this an emergancy room diagnosis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies