Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,920,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That makes a lot of sense but when you have this extreme element in the government that wants no part of by-partisan governance and just has a my way or no-way mentality nothing of any substance will be achieved and they'll continue to blame everything on Obama.
That sounds exactly like what the GOP was doing for four years. Those were the people who wouldn't extend the debt ceiling unless the rich got their tax cuts extended. They were the people who wouldn't negotiate on health care or stimulus.

So now the tables are turned and all we hear is GOP whining about democrats doing what republicans have been doing. Poetic justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 03:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Boehner is in a tough spot. In a way I feel bad for him, but the GOP did this to themselves. This is Boehner and Obama's chance to build a bipartisan centrist coalition. I hope they can work it out and keep a coalition together to solve some problems. The far left and far right, but mostly the far right, believes they have all the answers. I'm pretty sick of the way partisans have acted lately. I wish everyone would give in a little to solve some problems.
Amen. The GOP had no problem with the verbal portrayal of what Boehner is doing, when, in starting the keynote address at the 2008 GOP convention, Joe Lieberman said he was putting

"Country BEFORE Party".

Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

So now the tables are turned and all we hear is GOP whining about democrats doing what republicans have been doing. Poetic justice.
Whining is what they are really good at, turn on the radio and its any one of a myriad of right wing talking heads just endlessly whining,a few i get to hear are Miller, ,Boyle, and of course the master malcontent Limbaugh.Then theres FOX,same whining just in video format..Then theres forums where same format occurs.
WaaaaWaaaa
If it wasnt so amusing reading righties having their conniption/hissy fits over their apparently sorrowful lot in life i doubt i'd waste my time in this section..
Lets hear some more birther stuff and some more reverse reality teabagger logic,conspiracy theories and more name calling.
Boehner? way too moderate,,,outta there.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-08-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,431,904 times
Quote:
Boehner is in a tough spot. In a way I feel bad for him, but the GOP did this to themselves. This is Boehner and Obama's chance to build a bipartisan centrist coalition. I hope they can work it out and keep a coalition together to solve some problems. The far left and far right, but mostly the far right, believes they have all the answers. I'm pretty sick of the way partisans have acted lately. I wish everyone would give in a little to solve some problems.
Exactly. While Boehner ain't no Bob Dole, neither is the GOP now, and Boehner basically has the same dilemma that Romney had... how to reconcile a 'my-way-or-the-higway' extremist wing. Although at least he gets to choose the 'team players' he allows in "BoehnerLand", unfortunately something the GOP is unable to do nationally.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,564,353 times
Quote:
This is Boehner and Obama's chance to build a bipartisan centrist coalition.
Coalitions are negotiations, and it's not clear that Boehner has anything to negotiate with. A parliamentary trick of the trade would involve a vote - on something, a resolution or bill - that would indicate Boehner has the support of a majority in the House, to prove his bona fides and strengthen his arm. But with the constitution of the House GOP what it is, he doesn't dare - he couldn't be sure it wouldn't backfire on him disastrously.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,591,050 times
Personally,I do not care for any of the GOP house leadership. Boehner is not a good leader or communicator. Cantor is somewhat better but not up to the task of taking on the extremists in the oval office. McCarthy screwed up royally in handling CA"s redistricting in my view.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
Ahh, if Roy is saying it then he must have either heard this talking point on Rush or read it on Breitbart because I've never seen him have an original thought of his own. Not even once. The funny thing is it was the crazy tea baggers who painted themselves into the corner and prevented the party leadership from signing the, very generous, Grand Bargain Obama offered back in 2010 and that decision has lead to this. Rather than taking responsibility for their own actions or figuring out that listening to extremists is what lead them to defeat the base now demands the head of their only sane leader. Wow, their journey to insanity is compete.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,431,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Personally,I do not care for any of the GOP house leadership. Boehner is not a good leader or communicator. Cantor is somewhat better but not up to the task of taking on the extremists in the oval office. McCarthy screwed up royally in handling CA"s redistricting in my view.
Why, because republicans came out of it even more irrelevant in CA than before? At least now we're less likely to be gridlocked by the my-way-or-the-highway ideologues. Which is what happens with the intractable types... they leave no other choice for anyone, that even their own party eventually pushes 'em aside (one way or another).

Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,936,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself;27269089 The funny thing is it was the crazy tea baggers who[B
painted themselves into the corner and prevented the party leadership from signing the, very generous, Grand Bargain Obama offered back in 2010 and that decision has lead to this[/b]. Rather than taking responsibility for their own actions or figuring out that listening to extremists is what lead them to defeat the base now demands the head of their only sane leader. Wow, their journey to insanity is compete.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL; he has approximately 149 conventional Repubs, and 85 Tea party, whose appeal is solely within fringe elements.

That is what has brought the GOP to its knees. The prudent move, when the TP organized, would have been to give them no voice collectively, as Perot showed 3rd parties cannot make it. So after a few years of whining, they would have been back in the mainstream GOP fold, and JB would have 234 at his back.

That rift btw, is the reason JB has actually done well with a bad hand. When the max you can get to act collectively is 149 of 435, well, you will get your butt kicked. He has deftly avoided that.

The 149 will NEVER join the 85. Hence, the TP is seeing their power decline.

The point isn't to win for the sake winning.

The exploding federal debt will sooner or later sink the country.

To "win" and continue down the path to financial ruin is self-defeating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies