Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM

592 posts, read 502,623 times

Advertisements

When GOP Senators filibuster any proposal he makes although they have in the past supported them. Today a GOP Senator used filibuster on his own proposal in a matter of minutes. This guys are a JOKE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBXqlYO4vQ

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
When GOP Senators filibuster any proposal he makes although they have in the past supported them. Today a GOP Senator used filibuster on his own proposal in a matter of minutes. This guys are a JOKE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBXqlYO4vQ
I dunno. Does he have any chance when his Party puts someone up for office who questioned the military on whether the island of Guam was in danger of capsizing? And then their consituents actually re-elect this person?

As for me, I'll take a guy who miscalculated on a political gambit and was forced to block his own legislation over someone who squanders congressional hearing time questioning whether Guam is going to tip over.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I dunno. Does he have any chance when his Party puts someone up for office who questioned the military on whether the island of Guam was in danger of capsizing? And then their consituents actually re-elect this person?

As for me, I'll take a guy who miscalculated on a political gambit and was forced to block his own legislation over someone who squanders congressional hearing time questioning whether Guam is going to tip over.
Except now is not the time for games. It's time to get serious. It's sad to see the highest ranking Republican leader in the Senate blatantly attempt to block real progress on this issue which has real implications for the economy. If fiscal cliff negotiations fail, Americans will look at these bad-faith actions and put the blame squarely on the GOP.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
The majority of Americans are on the president's side here, both in polls and the fact he was reelected largely on this issue. I think Boehner will eventually give in on the tax increases; Republicans just want something in return.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Except now is not the time for games. It's time to get serious. It's sad to see the highest ranking Republican leader in the Senate blatantly attempt to block real progress on this issue which has real implications for the economy. If fiscal cliff negotiations fail, Americans will look at these bad-faith actions and put the blame squarely on the GOP.
I'll blame it on Obama who wants to keep spending.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
These people clearly didn't get the memo from the American people on November 6th; as you say, playtime is over. President Obama was re-elected because the majority of U.S. citizens approve of his platform, and they want to see it enacted. The time for obstructionism is past: Like it or not, the GOP had best rediscover a little something called "governance" and earn their paychecks after a 4-year vacation. Otherwise, they'll lose even more resoundingly in the next election. On a side note, it would be so sweet to see Ashley Judd toss Mitch McConnell out of office.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM

518 posts, read 406,895 times
It amazes me that republicans still continue to seemingly refuse to get the message from the electorate. As I keep saying, yeah, they can make Obama look bad, as they already have, but guess what, republitards...as bad as he has looked, he still waxed yer asses on election night. So what does that tell yas??? It tells me that if the republicans send the country over the fiscal cliff, there will be rage, and however bad Obama looks, republicans will look much, much worse. I predict that there will be one party rule for the next 8 years if republicans go through with this. John Boehner has about 3 weeks to save his party from crushing FDR-era defeat. Who knows, with gerrymandering, we could be looking at 16-24 years of democrat rule if the republicans do this.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
These people clearly didn't get the memo from the American people on November 6th; as you say, playtime is over. President Obama was re-elected because the majority of U.S. citizens approve of his platform, and they want to see it enacted. The time for obstructionism is past: Like it or not, the GOP had best rediscover a little something called "governance" and earn their paychecks after a 4-year vacation. Otherwise, they'll lose even more resoundingly in the next election. On a side note, it would be so sweet to see Ashley Judd toss Mitch McConnell out of office.
Obama recieved 30.2 percent of eligible voters votes, so he does not have the approval of "the majority of U.S. citizens"

Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Change the filibuster rules.
Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Obama recieved 30.2 percent of eligible voters votes, so he does not have the approval of "the majority of U.S. citizens"
By the same math, Romney only got 28%, and no modern president would have ever gotten over 50%. Obama got the majority of U.S. citizens who voted. That's how a democracy works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies