Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
But involuntary celibacy is destructive and often leads to severe depression and suicide.
And prostate cancer.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a mistake. Every church which has taken to support homosexuality has experienced catastrophic loss in church membership.
Recently, it seems pretty much EVERY church is experiencing a catastrophic loss in church membership. 25% of adults raised catholic, as an example, are no longer members, and the number of people unaffiliated with any religion rises every year.

Things that make you go hmm...

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Belief in a higher power does not imply belief in any specific religion. I am a perfect example. I am very anti-religion, yet I believe there is a higher reality and that consciousness survives physical death. For that matter, I believe physical is not even physical, but perhaps that is best left for another discussion.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
It is a mistake. Every church which has taken to support homosexuality has experienced catastrophic loss in church membership.
That should tell you something of their bigotry no? I mean even the alleged jesus had a ministry of inclusiveness but I guess in the good ole US of A it is one of exclusiveness much like it was in the daze of segregation of us vs them.

The irony which you folk cannot see is that a forgiving jesus is not the dude you lot follow. Most of you follow the perverted teachings of the alleged Paul. I would give the mid acts folk more credence than the average fundigelical.

Weird how god just happens to hate the exact same things you guys hate huh? Then again, god(s) only exists in meatspace between the ears so I suppose it is all guud.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Recently, it seems pretty much EVERY church is experiencing a catastrophic loss in church membership. 25% of adults raised catholic, as an example, are no longer members, and the number of people unaffiliated with any religion rises every year.

Things that make you go hmm...
Yes, many Catholics are joining the protestant churches. Too bad for the Catholic church, but good for the protestant churches. The more conservative churches are growing quite rapidly, for example the Assemblies Of God membership has gone up 305% and Church Of God 250%. It is true that the more liberal churches are suffering losses, and support for gay marriage is one of the reasons driving people away. Also, many people who consider themselves "cultural Christians" have dropped out entirely and now call themselves atheists, or agnostics. Now that the mormon church is taking a severe liberal turn, I would expect them to suffer losses as the more conservetive member will abandon the church.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, many Catholics are joining the protestant churches.
Yeah?

Which ones?

Methodist? Nope... United Methodist Membership Statistics | GCAH.org

Presbyterian? Nope, not them either... Presbyterian Membership Drop Hits Record Low

Must be baptists? Nope, seems they're in decline as well. Southern Baptists Experiencing Accelerating Decline in Membership

Just what religious affiliation is growing? It's the NONES!! ‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Stop with the lies. The sky is not falling.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Good riddance. Those churches don't represent Christ anyway.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Yes, many Catholics are joining the protestant churches. Too bad for the Catholic church, but good for the protestant churches. The more conservative churches are growing quite rapidly, for example the Assemblies Of God membership has gone up 305% and Church Of God 250%. It is true that the more liberal churches are suffering losses, and support for gay marriage is one of the reasons driving people away. Also, many people who consider themselves "cultural Christians" have dropped out entirely and now call themselves atheists, or agnostics. Now that the mormon church is taking a severe liberal turn, I would expect them to suffer losses as the more conservetive member will abandon the church.
Southern Baptists have been decreasing for years, and continue to decline.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yeah?

Which ones?

Methodist? Nope... United Methodist Membership Statistics | GCAH.org

Presbyterian? Nope, not them either... Presbyterian Membership Drop Hits Record Low

Must be baptists? Nope, seems they're in decline as well. Southern Baptists Experiencing Accelerating Decline in Membership

Just what religious affiliation is growing? It's the NONES!! ‘No Religion’ on the Rise: 19.6% Have No Religious Affiliation - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Stop with the lies. The sky is not falling.
Which ones? Like the ones I just mentioned. People are walking away from liberal churches so it is true that the liberal christianity is taking a beating, while conservative churches are growing. My whole point is that whe churches go liberal, like condoning homosexuality, they start losing members almost immediately. It is the kiss of death for a church.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Now that the mormon church is taking a severe liberal turn, I would expect them to suffer losses as the more conservetive member will abandon the church.
Seriously, Finn, how is calling for compassion a "severe liberal turn"? The Church will never say that gay sex is okay. If being compassionate is now the sign of liberal Christianity, Heaven help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies