Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInTheCan View Post
Also 146,000 jobs created is nothing to get excited about. Expectations are very low right now.
We celebrated 132K/month average increase between 2003 thru 2006 as being due to full employment. Never mind, as I said, you may find comfort in my earlier post, that this was indeed the tenth worst november in twelve years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 AM

105 posts, read 84,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
With the economy improving and people seeing Obama's policies are working, the GOP will clearly get blamed for the fiscal cliff fiasco if the economy tanks and the polls are showing they would get blamed.
Please list the policies Obama has implemented that directly resulted in the creation of 146,000 jobs last month, which is really not a good number anyway.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How come the UE did not go up last year after holiday season? Or the year before?
Simple-Because they are seaosnally adjusted.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have no doubt that, if Mr. Romney had won the election, his supporters herein would be clamiing that these new, unexpected job numbers were solely due to the new-found optimism by employers.
You know it. There is no doubt that if we had a president Mitt Rmoney instead of President Obama, they'd be cheering this jobs report.

They are hoping for misery.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Simple-Because they are seaosnally adjusted.
So, you can compare them?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We celebrated 132K/month average increase between 2003 thru 2006 as being due to full employment. Never mind, as I said, you may find comfort in my earlier post, that this was indeed the tenth worst november in twelve years.
I agree, 03-06 was obviously a mirage in hindsight.
Expectations are very low right now- that is not a good thing.
When we have 3 or 4 months of over +250K then we may have some hope for a true recovery.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Liberals again, not being honest with the numbers. How many people dropped out of the work force?
About the same number as ENTERED it last month.

Labor participation rate has been bouncing up and down since August when the UE rate was up at 8.1%. Not surprising considering that babyboomers are retiring in vast numbers.
So what?

Ken

Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Considering that when Obama was elected in this same month 4 years ago we had LOST nearly 700,000 jobs, I'll take it.

Ken
Yes ,It is better then that. But again that is not saying much.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, and it is good news, more people are off the unemployment rolls, but here are some things to think about; The unemployment rate always goes down during holiday season; 2-there are a lot of people who are just not looking anymore; 3-many people are now content to work part time or work from home: 4-recessions have their ups and downs: the rate was bound to go down, regardless of who was Pres. No one can blame the Pres, totally for a recession, now should anyone give him credit for a recovery...Like the stock market, he only has so much control. There are a lot oof things that play into the picture. Now, let's see what happens next year as Obamacare kicks in even more. Let's see how many people are employed full time. Of coruse the government won't publish those figures...

Slackjaw has it right. Now, let's start the cutting of government handouts, all those people working cetainly don't need the government to hand them everything. Do you agree with that?

We must also think about this: the Baby Boomers (of which I am one, having been born in 1955) are now hitting age 65 at the rate of 10,000+ per day, with a healthy precentage actually leaving the workforce.

The Baby Boomer Number Game - On Retirement (usnews.com)

I cannot really speak to a vague 'government handouts' question. I know a lot of people (like herein) are receiving Federal disability benefits that they perhaps should not be getting; but, Social Security does not have the money or manpower to investigate (we have two such investigators here in the Fort Worth-Dallas area).

I also see, in the course of my work, a lot of Vets who receive service-connected disability payments, and receiving (in far too many cases) sub-standard medical care for their injuries. I guess I do not want to see those 'handouts' ceased. Indeed, I am all for President Obama's efforts to insure that our Veterans receive the best health care on the planet.

I do agree that the 'free cell phone' program (which I have been reading about; it started for land-lines under the Reagan administration) should be stopped. There! A 'handout' we can, no doubt, agree on.

I also see a lot of uninsured people going to our local county hospital and receiving 'free' medical care, for everything from a hangover to brain tumors. Of course, it is not really free: we real property owners pay for said health care via property taxes (we have a special assessment for the county hospital). I want to see that stopped, which should happen, to a degree at least, by the forth-coming requirement that individuals purchase health insurance. If these deadbeats can afford cigarettes and booze, they can afford to pay for health care insurance (at least partly). Why some so-called 'conservatives' want to continue free health care for individuals is beyond me. Recall that back in Clintons' day the Conservatives actually were for the individual mandate, while Clinton (I assume for political reasons) was against it (maybe because the idea came from the Heritage Foundation, soon to be led by the admirable Jim DeMint, who found it inconvienant to serve out his term as a United States Senator).

I do not consider Social Security Retirement benefits a 'handout', since people paid into it. I do believe in raising the retirement age. Mine is 66.6 years. I have no problem with immediately raising it to 68 or so, and to 70 down the line. We are living longer (or, at least, it feels longer).

I could go on, but work beckons.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I agree, 03-06 was obviously a mirage in hindsight.
Was it? If 132K/month can be a mirage...

Quote:
Expectations are very low right now- that is not a good thing. When we have 3 or 4 months of over +250K then we may have some hope for a true recovery.
We had three of those in 2011 (257K, 261K and 264K). Congress made sure that we should keep our expectations low beginning the debt ceiling fight, after the first two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies