Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,069,270 times

Advertisements

I don't get this place. Kids are forced to stand for the Black National Anthem. The BLACK national anthem. Not the American National Anthem - the Black National Anthem. Of course that's wrong. Why can't you fools just say that? Why can't you say "Enough with diviseness - enough with deliberately splitting races - enough with forcing people to swallow inappropriate?" Why can't we just show some pride in ourselves and our citizenship of the United States and just freakin stand up for the AMERICAN national anthem, and say the Pledge of Allegiance like we freakin mean it, and be done with it?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I don't get this place. Kids are forced to stand for the Black National Anthem. The BLACK national anthem. Not the American National Anthem - the Black National Anthem. Of course that's wrong. Why can't you fools just say that? Why can't you say "Enough with diviseness - enough with deliberately splitting races - enough with forcing people to swallow inappropriate?" Why can't we just show some pride in ourselves and our citizenship of the United States and just freakin stand up for the AMERICAN national anthem, and say the Pledge of Allegiance like we freakin mean it, and be done with it?
Too funny. After centuries of blacks being held as different and inferior from everyone else, and the end of an election where a standing President is subject to all kinds of racial innuendo, now we're all supposed to be one big happy family??

Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
In the end I think this is something for the voters in that school district to decide and handle as they wish.Just like many other district issue that are similar.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM

318 posts, read 506,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

maybe, just maybe...you are the one thats jumping too quick to make this an issue. the article that I read, said that students we not required to cross their hearts or sing along, but they were required to stand becuase too much distraction was caused when students elected to sit. so in an attempt to keep the peace whilst people were celebrating the anthem, he made them stand.

i dunno maybe thats just my common sense, but i completely understand, and had it been my child in the class he would be instructed to stand as well. you dont have to beleive in the anthem but you should want to respect those that do.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Its funny how people will stand for something until they're told they HAVE to stand for something...then it becomes a problem.

I remember being in high school (I was in the marching band - coolest kids in school) and a there was a general understanding that if someone was hurt you sat down/took a knee until they either got up or were removed from the field. One year band camp was on a baseball field (that red clay stuff) and somebody got hurt and a lot of us didn't want to sit down. That's when the "general understanding" became a "rule" and people started going against it.

In this case, I don't think they should force the kids to stand. Most of the kids would probably stand anyway out of respect or just because.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The school has no right to force a student to stand for any anthem whether it is the white national anthem (Star Spangled Banner), the black national anthem (Lift Every Voice) or the national athem for all people (America the Beautiful). It is up to the student whether to stand and recite any anthem or none at all. Same with the Pledge of Alligence.
So now the Star Spangled Banner is a WHITE anthem? Since when? And according to who?

It's the AMERICAN national anthem. And ALL colors should consider themselves Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies