Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM

201 posts, read 490,805 times

Advertisements

Most people agree LEGAL immigration is good for America. But is question is who we should let in and how many legal immigrants should be allowed in each year and from which countries.

Here are some questions that I think about regarding LEGAL IMMIGRATION:
Do you think the American Government is doing a good job in picking which individuals should be allowed to come to America legally? Is the mix of nationalities, backgrounds, cultures good? Do we let in people from one country in too large of numbers? What should the mixture be between skilled and unskilled immigrants? Should we require immigrants to speak basic English before coming to America? Should we pay more attention to family connections or skills/language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM

If I would have put illegal alien in the title of this posting there would be tons of replies but for some strange reason no one wants to talk about legal immigration? To me this is the number one issue that will impact our country in the future, who gets into the country will impact our culture and economy for the rest of time!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We have laws in place that are supposed to monitor those who enter this country. They are very good laws and should be enforced. When the laws that have withstood the test of time are used, I don't have a problem with immigration. I do draw the line when someone just comes over the border or forgets to go home after a vacation. These people are criminals and should be treated as such and I don't care how old they were when this happened. We should not be blamed and asked to compensate for parental offenses. It is not the fault of Americans that other people take advantage of us except that it needs to be stopped.

Immigration should have nothing to do with a persons family living here unless a wedding happened and the spouse is of another country. Other members of the family should be allowed to visit but it should not be a road for citizenship.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
If I would have put illegal alien in the title of this posting there would be tons of replies but for some strange reason no one wants to talk about legal immigration? To me this is the number one issue that will impact our country in the future, who gets into the country will impact our culture and economy for the rest of time!
Maybe others are having the same problem I had at knowing what your question is. I gave an answer but the thread title makes no sense.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Maybe others are having the same problem I had at knowing what your question is. I gave an answer but the thread title makes no sense.
The Federal Government picks winners and losers and decides which people who apply for a Green Card and citizenship will be accepted. Many complain we are letting in too many poorly educated and unskilled people and instead should be only letting skilled and educated and English speaking people come to America.

Are the right people getting into America legally?

AGAIN, I am talking about LEGAL Immigrants!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Too many are by family sponsorship which means the immigrant is not provided a health insurance policy from their sponsor and many end up on government handouts.

Legal immigrants can be good if they're coming because they truly desire to become part of the American people and not just for the big easy money, but employer sponsored legal immigrants tend to be good people.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Overall legal immigration has not been very good --- far too many coming who have zero desire to even learn English and much less desire to become a true part of the American people. Too many unemployed Americans and immigration has become about ultra cheap labor only.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
Most people agree LEGAL immigration is good for America. But is question is who we should let in and how many legal immigrants should be allowed in each year and from which countries.

Here are some questions that I think about regarding LEGAL IMMIGRATION:
Do you think the American Government is doing a good job in picking which individuals should be allowed to come to America legally?
No.

Quote:
Is the mix of nationalities, backgrounds, cultures good?
No.

Quote:
Do we let in people from one country in too large of numbers?
Not any one country, but our immigrant population is predominantly from Mexico, China, India, the Philippines, etc. A bit more variety would be nice.

Quote:
What should the mixture be between skilled and unskilled immigrants?
We should consider unskilled immigrants on a refugee/asylum basis only.

Quote:
Should we require immigrants to speak basic English before coming to America?
Yes, unless they are genuine refugees. In that case English instruction should be provided.

Quote:
Should we pay more attention to family connections or skills/language?
Family connections should have no bearing at all, unless we're talking about the spouse or minor child/children of a legal immigrant.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
It needs to slow down until our unemployment rates are down. Probably reduce to 200.000 legal immigrants a year as opposed to 1 + million.

English should be a requirement.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
me speak no english..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies