Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,486,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
They called themselves Libertarians to try and distinguish themselves. But they are nothing close to what libertarianism derived from.

How can War mongering , gun toting, bible belting, statist Republicans associate themselves with the Libertarian movement? It makes no sense, they have no clue what they are talking about.
But, but... they really luv the GOP's ''economic'' stance, so all the rest is forgiven!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,886,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Sorry, if you would like to make a point, please do or are you trolling again?
Not if you were making a point. Just as you suggested European policies in general being against Libertarian principles, I provided an example of a society that puts those enumerated principles to work. If you don't like "Myanmar", we can call it "Burma" instead.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
1) In terms of net international investment position per capita, Singapore is rated the top country.
2) Singapore is ranked No.1 worldwide for the ease of doing business by the World Bank for 2011.
3) Singapore is ranked No.2 worldwide as the city with the best investment potential for 16 consecutive years.
4) Singapore is ranked first for having the most open economy for international trade and investment.
5) Singapore is Asia's most "network ready" country.
6) Singapore is ranked the 3rd the most competitive country in the world.
7) Singapore is the best business environment worldwide.
8) Singapore is first in the world for having the best protection of intellectual property.
9) 2011: Singapore is ranked 4th on the Economist Intelligence Unit's Asia Most Livable City survey

International rankings of Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10) Singapore students scored an average 526 points in reading in PISA 2009, putting Singapore among the top eight participating education systems.
11) In mathematics, Singapore students scored an average 562 points, surpassed only by students in Shanghai, China. In science, Singapore students scored 542 points, putting Singapore among the top four education systems.

Strong Performers and Successful Reformers in Education

The United States places 17th in the developed world for education, according to a global report by education firm Pearson. Finland and South Korea, not surprisingly, top the list of 40 developed countries with the best education systems. Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore follow. The rankings are calculated based on various measures, including international test scores, graduation rates between 2006 and 2010, and the prevalence of higher education seekers.

Best Education In The World: Finland, South Korea Top Country Rankings, U.S. Rated Average

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,927,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
This is why libertarians will never see the oval office. When you go on Fox News and tell them the U.S. should govern like Singapore, how far do you expect to get?

John Stossel on Fox: U.S. should emulate Singapore, no discrimination laws or minimum wage | FreakOutNation
Where the government is so big they've even outlawed chewing gum? Yeah, that's just the libertarian ideal at work right there.

The good news is your average Fox viewer is so uninformed and (dare I say it?) stupid I doubt they even knew there was a city-state named Singapore much less that they have a psuedo autocratic government where the same guy was President for 40 years.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,409,544 times
This thread does actually illustrate why a libertarian couldn't get elected in America. Libertarianism is, more than any other ideology, logic-based. The #1 libertarian publication calls itself Reason for a reason. America has become way too dumbed down for that. Stossel in his little speech didn't mention anything about health care, chewing gum, or drugs. Yet one poster after another in effect leaps to the conclusion that he did.

This is a kind of variant of the ad hominem fallacy.

Ad Hominem (Guilt by Association)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo bennett
Example #2:
Pol Pot, the Cambodian Maoist revolutionary, was against religion, and he was a very bad man. Frankie is against religion, therefore Frankie, too, must be a very bad man.
Explanation: The fact that Pol Pot and Frankie share one particular view does not mean they are identical in other ways unrelated, specifically, being a very bad man. Pol Pot was not a bad man because he was against religion, he was a bad man for his genocidal actions.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM

LauraC,

May be we need to try dictatorship, which helped put Singapore on the map, along with ALL the social policies that were implemented. I'm sure ALL of that describe the libertarian world so far only assumed to be Utopia.

And for education, may be we can do better by implementing the policies used in Finland and South Korea instead. Those must be using libertarian principles too!

13,053 posts, read 12,980,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not if you were making a point. Just as you suggested European policies in general being against Libertarian principles, I provided an example of a society that puts those enumerated principles to work. If you don't like "Myanmar", we can call it "Burma" instead.
My point was concerning the article and the attempt by it and most here to imply that since he stated we should be like Singapore as it concerns minimum wage and disability laws that it meant we should also adopt all other aspects of their system. They used this to straw man his mention.

That was my point. It appears you missed it as you attempted to argue the success of libertarian principals (which was not the main point of my response), but did so in a meaningless way through a single mention of a country.

So either you are trolling, or just terrible at critical reading. Either way, it is a waste of discussion.

3,417 posts, read 3,082,201 times
Quote:
Yet no minimum wage or infringing laws such as disability laws we see in Europe are libertarian principals.

Not sure where he stated that Singapore was a libertarian country, I think he was talking about those specific features they had were. Considering it was the context of the discussion, I don't see the logic in all the responses made here. Did anyone bother to actual watch the video they linked as the source?
It was a libertarian suggesting we implement policies like Singapore. When you are a 3rd party trying to make it into the mainstream, suggesting we be like singapore will get you nowhere.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,421,730 times
Wow. So one Libertarian makes a statement and all you: A. Assume he speaks for all libertarians. B. You also assume that he endorses (and thus, all libertarians) every aspect of Singapore's government. C. Act like silly/giddy school girls that thinks they one up'ed their school girl rival. You are as bad as those that compare your preferenced form of gov to that of communism just because you voted for Obama.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
My point was concerning the article and the attempt by it and most here to imply that since he stated we should be like Singapore as it concerns minimum wage and disability laws that it meant we should also adopt all other aspects of their system. They used this to straw man his mention.

That was my point. It appears you missed it as you attempted to argue the success of libertarian principals (which was not the main point of my response), but did so in a meaningless way through a single mention of a country.
I was going to give you the benefit of doubt until I read the above in bold. What libertarian principles?

Quote:
So either you are trolling, or just terrible at critical reading. Either way, it is a waste of discussion.
Feel free to ignore, if you can't handle challenge to your ideas. It would save you the effort to type your signature argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies