Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Free speech has consequences, in this instance, it resulted in millions supporting chick fil-a and vastly outnumbering those who were boycotting it on those days.
*shrug* That's their right. Doesn't bother me either way, as long as Chick-Fil-A doesn't get my money.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times
Quote:
Free speech has consequences, in this instance, it resulted in millions supporting chick fil-a and vastly outnumbering those who were boycotting it on those days.
How do you know that those who showed up to support CFA outnumbered those boycotting?
Most of us who are boycotting aren't going there, so there is no way to count us.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
Now that the dust has settled a bit, let's look at "lessons learned." When we look back on the left's failed boycott of Chick Fil-A that brought millions of customers to franchises across the country, resulting in lines out of the doors, why did it backfire the way it did? Many of the people who purchased chick fil-a products on those "support days" support gay marriage as well. So looking back, why did the left's attempt fail?
First of all you have provided absolutely no financial data so we don't really know how Chick Fil-A was impacted one way or another.

Second it will be impossible to determine how much future revenue Chick-Fil-A will lose because some people willl NEVER buy anything from them based on their political or social stances.

The honest answer here is that unless data is presented to show Chick-Fil-A sales and profits before and after the boycotts we don't know one way or another how they were affected by the boycott.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How do you know that those who showed up to support CFA outnumbered those boycotting?
Most of us who are boycotting aren't going there, so there is no way to count us.
Simple, sales increased more than they usually would, thus it failed. Here's where your boycott set a record for daily sales.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug...ecord-20120802

Congrats

Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,666,104 times
Eh, they made some ground.

Quote:
CHICAGO- The national uproar over Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy’s comments against marriage equality may have just paid off. Chicago city Alderman Joe Moreno has just announced that Chick-Fil-A will begin reevaluating its multimillion-dollar donations to anti-LGBT politicians and anti-marriage equality organizations, such as the Family Research Council which was recently listed as a “hate-group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

The donations, which were made under Chick-Fil-A’s nonprofit WinShape Foundation, triggered massive demonstrations for and against the Atlanta-based fast food chain with conservative anti-same sex marriage customers staging a Support Traditional Marriage at Chick-Fil-A Day on August 1st, and a pro-marriage equality demonstrators staging a Kiss Day a week later where same-sex couples embraced throughout various Chick-Fil-A restaurants throughout the country.

Chick-Fil-A senior director of real estate sent Moreno a letter stating “the WinShape Foundation is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.” Moreno responded by saying that after weeks of negotiations, Chick-Fil-A is showing real progress in addressing “the very legitimate concerns of the LGBT community.”

In addition to the reevaluation of donations to anti-LGBT organizations, Chick-Fil-A is also going to include sexual orientation to its anti-discrimination company policy. Moreno indicated he will put an end to his efforts at blocking construction of new Chick-Fil-A restaurants in the city of Chicago just as soon as the company makes good on its promise of taking a friendlier, more inconclusive stance towards the LGBT community.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,016,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Eh, they made some ground.
Well, there you go! The "boycott" wasn't about driving them out of business, it was about sending a message that "if this company funds hate groups, we will not spend our money there." I've never set foot in a Chick-Fil-A (didn't even know how to pronounce it until recently), but that whole debacle just ensured I never will if given the chance. Who cares if other people eat there, though? I don't.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,561,261 times
There is a Chick-Fil-A in the basement level of my school's student union. No boycotting happened there. In fact, chickens were flying off the shelf like usual.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:02 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
[quote=gizmo980;27248799]Well, there you go! The "boycott" wasn't about driving them out of business, it was about sending a message that "if this company funds hate groups, we will not spend our money there." I've never set foot in a Chick-Fil-A (didn't even know how to pronounce it until recently), but that whole debacle just ensured I never will if given the chance. Who cares if other people eat there, though? I don't.[/quote]

For some liberals, they DO care that you eat there.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times
Quote:
Simple, sales increased more than they usually would, thus it failed. Here's where your boycott set a record for daily sales.

Chick-fil-A 'appreciation' day: Frenzied sales set record - Los Angeles Times

Congrats
For one day sales increased. I still haven't gone back to CFA, there are quite a few who haven't gone back.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,840,494 times
I am just reading this and actually laughing to myself. Think of how absurd the entire Chik-Fil-A "controversy"
really is.

A processed chicken product fast food chain initially making a media hype statement about the private sex lives of consenting adults. WTH? Then in response, the other side boycotting said processed chicken fast food establishment for the cause.

Welcome to America, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies