Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times

Advertisements

Survival of Fittest, or Rule of the Jungle is what we have.
There is no Free Market Capitalism when you can control the government and its policies.

I agree that more American's need to start fighting back and fighting dirty if need be.
The cockroaches in bed with our government are doing exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This will happen as long as Americans let it happen.

More Americans simply have to get off the corporate tit and those on the corporate tit better start demanding that they be treated better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
That's not what's happening.
The way I see it,wealth is being redistributed from the middle class to both the poor and the rich.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The way I see it,wealth is being redistributed from the middle class to both the poor and the rich.
I don't see it that way entirely....

You are correct that the productivity and taxes from the Middle Class fuel it, but the main beneficiaries are the top .1% which can be seen by looking at a graph of compensation versus productivity and declining wages we have had overtime.

In this global economy where American's are having to compete with others, it is understandable their compensation would decline, but the decline should be across all strata and that is not the case.
The top 1% are not declining but rising because they are not subjecting themselves to the same model as the rest of American's have to follow.

There are millions of qualified people in this global economy that can also do the same jobs for a fraction of the cost. But since these same people control our government, they limited the amount that can come in, unlike opening up the floodgates to cheap labor for everyone else.

The benefits that the poor are receiving like the Obama Phone and Food stamps directly benefit the same people at the top.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I don't see it that way entirely....

You are correct that the productivity and taxes from the Middle Class fuel it, but the main beneficiaries are the top .1% which can be seen by looking at a graph of compensation versus productivity and declining wages we have had overtime.

In this global economy where American's are having to compete with others, it is understandable their compensation would decline, but the decline should be across all strata and that is not the case.
The top 1% are not declining but rising because they are not subjecting themselves to the same model as the rest of American's have to follow.

There are millions of qualified people in this global economy that can also do the same jobs for a fraction of the cost. But since these same people control our government, they limited the amount that can come in, unlike opening up the floodgates to cheap labor for everyone else.

The benefits that the poor are receiving like the Obama Phone and Food stamps directly benefit the same people at the top.
I didn't realize the 61% of the federal budget that went towards SS, Medicare, Income Security, Heath, and training for social services went to 'help the wealthy'. If you look at the numbers, shouldn't we be concerned about how dramatically we are redistributing from productive members of society to reward laziness?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I didn't realize the 61% of the federal budget that went towards SS, Medicare, Income Security, Heath, and training for social services went to 'help the wealthy'. If you look at the numbers, shouldn't we be concerned about how dramatically we are redistributing from productive members of society to reward laziness?
I would like to see a further breakdown of that Pie Chart to see how much is actually going to the people versus how much is going toward "Administrative Costs" for leeches to suck off from.

I would also like to see how much is going to the elderly since they would comprise a large percentage of health and Social Security etc

Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Also some of the very richest are the Hollywood elite and pop celebrities -- maybe the poor should stop wasting their money on movie tickets and pop music concerts.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
Up the minimum wage. If you set the minimum wage as a fraction of the top total compensation packages then you can end wealth redistribution from the middle to the top.
Or perhaps limit executive pay to a certain multiple of their average
line employee's wage.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think you're right.

Just like third world countries have the very rich and the very poor --- but are not considered wealthy because it's the middle class that creates most wealth.

The poor don't create wealth. In the USA, they might spend their food stamps and welfare checks but they're not working and producing. The middle class that lives without government handouts works and produces and spends money --- that creates wealth. The idle rich may have money but they don't produce wealth, you have to have the middle class. Some middle class however worked and produced and saved so much of the wealth they created, they are now rich -- unlike the idle rich who just have wealth.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,708 times
I see Lloyd Blankfein calling for genocidal cuts to the social safety net after his bank has stole trillions. There is a wall street wing of the democratic party which is what Obama is part of.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I enjoyed Greenspan's ( Oz behind the curtain) remarks given he orchastrated the repeal of parts of Glass-Steagall that would have otherwise prevented or as least mitigated the melt down in 2008.

Wall Street owns the FRB and government, regardless of who is sitting in the oval or house majorities.
What you saw was government trying to step in and avert what was occurring and all that they got in return was it happening on a much larger scale and the cost to the country even larger than if it had been allowed to just occur.

If nothing had been done then you'd have simply lost your share of the world's economy. How much? Who knows. What we do know is that in trying to keep that share you've burdened yourself with more debt than you would have had had you let it occur. What we also know is that our political system simply doesn't allow for a natural correction to occur.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies