Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Build a house on a beach anywhere. Smart. I love beach living but I know it's a crapshoot and if I lose there's no one to blame but myself. I can't blame nature for being natural.
Alot of these houses were built in the 1890s to 1930s.... Why did Alaskans build in Flood Zones , you have plenty of land to build on up there no land shortages....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are being so silly What do you think the Federal Government gets on tax revenue from the longer gold mines in the Northern hemisphere? Do you think that for every barrel of oil extracted in Alaska the Federal government does not make any money? How about the oil leases in Federal land? Is the Federal government not making any money from these?

Since your State does not have the same amount of natural resources, the Government makes money from taxing the private sector in your State, from companies and tax paying individuals. In Alaska we don't have an State income tax, but the Federal Government is still making money from working Alaskans in the form of a Federal income tax. On top of that, from the natural resources being mined or extracted from the ground each day.

Most of the money sent to Alaska by the Federal Government is for paying itself. The State is not paying for Global Shield, nor the military installations for active military members; the Feds. do.
Are you able to read those statistics you quoted? I didn't invent them---Alaskans receive FAR more in Federal funds per capita than they pay in Federal income tax. I actually dont give a rip, but it is irritating to listen to some folks (not all) cry about how they are being mistreated by Uncle Sam, when they're state is AT THE TOP OF THE DOLE list for Federal money. If you guys want to be independent and run your own state, start by telling your Senators and Congressmen that you prefer Alaska NOT receive any Federal monies.

I got a pretty good idea that at least your politicians have a better view of Alaskan economic picture than people on this thread. I hope to hell ya gotta a couple of common folks up there with some common sense, too.

But you do have every right to tell me to shut up and get the hell off your thread---I don't live there. I'm in a state that PAYS more in Federal income tax than it takes in Federal dole money. So you folks can spend the long winter contemplating how much you are contributing to the national economy.

And, by the way, the North Dakota oil fields hold promise of being the largest oil deposits in the hemisphere without having to be shipped across thousands of miles of ice and tundra. The promise of the Bakan oil fields may be part of the delay in committing funds to Alaska for expanded any pipelines. It's all about the profit, and has nothing to do with North Dakota is better than Alaska or any crap like that. It's just about the money, and that's where the oil producers are concentrating right now.

Goodbye Alaska, and good luck, you're gonna need it.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Alot of these houses were built in the 1890s to 1930s.... Why did Alaskans build in Flood Zones , you have plenty of land to build on up there no land shortages....
There's plenty of land but not plenty of useable land. There's tundra, permafrost, mountains, no roads, lots and lots of reasons why there's vast open areas with no one living there save those hardy folks wanting to live in dry cabins with no services for hundreds of miles.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Are you able to read those statistics you quoted? I didn't invent them---Alaskans receive FAR more in Federal funds per capita than they pay in Federal income tax. I actually dont give a rip, but it is irritating to listen to some folks (not all) cry about how they are being mistreated by Uncle Sam, when they're state is AT THE TOP OF THE DOLE list for Federal money. If you guys want to be independent and run your own state, start by telling your Senators and Congressmen that you prefer Alaska NOT receive any Federal monies.

I got a pretty good idea that at least your politicians have a better view of Alaskan economic picture than people on this thread. I hope to hell ya gotta a couple of common folks up there with some common sense, too.

But you do have every right to tell me to shut up and get the hell off your thread---I don't live there. I'm in a state that PAYS more in Federal income tax than it takes in Federal dole money. So you folks can spend the long winter contemplating how much you are contributing to the national economy.

And, by the way, the North Dakota oil fields hold promise of being the largest oil deposits in the hemisphere without having to be shipped across thousands of miles of ice and tundra. The promise of the Bakan oil fields may be part of the delay in committing funds to Alaska for expanded any pipelines. It's all about the profit, and has nothing to do with North Dakota is better than Alaska or any crap like that. It's just about the money, and that's where the oil producers are concentrating right now.

Buh bye. We're doing fine without your good luck wishes.

I'd cite, again, how much of Alaska is owned by the federal gub'mint and thus skews statistics but I think the effort is wasted on people who get their info from reality TV and think all we do is sit around and talk about Palin.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Michael Palin, great guy!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM

58 posts, read 128,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Michael Palin, great guy!
I know! He's my favorite Python.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha998 View Post
I know! He's my favorite Python.
And now for something completely different.

And now for something completely different - YouTube

Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM

58 posts, read 128,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
And now for something completely different.

And now for something completely different - YouTube

We can argue inappropriately about who had the biggest hurricane and who gets the most federal dollars, but no one can deny that we have the best fish here.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha998 View Post
Just because there is always room for more Monty Python:

Monty Python - And now for something completely different - YouTube

Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Where have I said that Alaskans are being mistreated? All I have pointed out to you are things that the statistics you have repeated over and over don't show, so i will repeat some of the most important things for you to put it on your head:

a. Over 69% of Alaska is owned by the Federal Government.

b. Of the remainder 31% of the land, most of it belongs to the Native populations.

c. State lands are but a small portion.

d. Most of the natural resources are in Federal lands, and are a source of revenue for the Federal government.

By the way, ND does have a lot of oil, but this oil is being extracted mostly on the private sector lands. Now, if the Federal Government would give us Alaska to do as we please (drill, baby,drill), then they would not have to send money to Alaska.

That said, for every barrel of oil extracted in Alaska, the Federal government receives from 17% to 23% of the money. I have no idea of how much the Federal Government takes from every ounce of gold mined in Alaska, however, but we have some of the largest gold mining operations in the US.

http://minerals.er.usgs.gov/minerals...-2011-gold.pdf

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1104965.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-09-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies