Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,235,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Katrina victims got massive bailouts, more than any other natural disaster victim in US history. Bush was the Bailout King with a complete disregard for the US Constitution. Obama only spends federal dollars on family and friends.
And now some reality. FEMA designated disaster areas eligible for Federal money in 2012:

Disaster Declarations for 2012 | FEMA.gov

Note the red states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And now some reality. FEMA designated disaster areas eligible for Federal money in 2012:

Disaster Declarations for 2012 | FEMA.gov

Note the red states.
Declarations of disasters and receiving FEMA assistance are obviously two different things. Alaska is in that list in your link, yet no individuals will be receiving a penny from FEMA.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM

22,198 posts, read 19,487,286 times
Quote:
Declarations of disasters and receiving FEMA assistance are obviously two different things. Alaska is in that list in your link, yet no individuals will be receiving a penny from FEMA.
First off your thread title is a lie. Not to mention the damage suffered during those storms aren't even remotely in the same ballpark as Sandy. Not to mention, from the article you linked to, while FEMA is not giving direct money to individuals they are going in with the state on a joint program to pay for repairs. So again your thread title is a lie.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,028,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It is too bad that things like this happen but when we expect FEMA to do anything we better think about that when we vote. I didn't even know that those storms had been that bad in 'Alaska but unlike the ones caused by climate change, according to the people in the states getting the money, it must have just been a natural happening and without climate change being responsible you have to sit back and watch them get the help.
You are correct. No global warming around Alaska apparently and the lefties think it's funny to boot. What the useful idiots don't realize is Obama doesn't need their votes anymore so they are in the same boat now too.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,503,087 times
Why would a GOP state want government assistance? They always say they don't need big brother and are self reliant. I'm sure a GOP stalwart would never even ask for assitance. Christie fom NJ is obviously just a GOP poser.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It is too bad that things like this happen but when we expect FEMA to do anything we better think about that when we vote. I didn't even know that those storms had been that bad in 'Alaska but unlike the ones caused by climate change, according to the people in the states getting the money, it must have just been a natural happening and without climate change being responsible you have to sit back and watch them get the help.
Believe it or not, it pretty much is the way Alaskans like it. The less federal involvement, the better. It is the arrogant petulant double-standard nature of this Administration that really ticks me off.

My property is on a hill, and other than loosing a couple trees in the 90 mph winds, I suffered no damage.

Most of the pictures in the video are three to five days after the storms passed. Creeks and rivers flooded, some 20 feet over the banks, due to the 8.4" inches of rain in a 24 hour period. We are used to a lot of water in Alaska, but not that much that quickly.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Why would a GOP state want government assistance? They always say they don't need big brother and are self reliant. I'm sure a GOP stalwart would never even ask for assitance. Christie fom NJ is obviously just a GOP poser.
Since individuals in Alaska are not going to get federal assistance it is a moot point whether we want it or not. However, the other States that voted for Obama ARE getting individual federal assistance. Are you that partisan that you cannot see a double-standard when it is staring you in the face?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 AM

22,198 posts, read 19,487,286 times
Quote:
Since individuals in Alaska are not going to get federal assistance it is a moot point whether we want it or not. However, the other States that voted for Obama ARE getting individual federal assistance. Are you that partisan that you cannot see a double-standard when it is staring you in the face?
Are you that partisan to realize that other states that did not vote (and never were going to vote) for Obama has also received FEMA aid to individuals? Are you that partisan that you don't realize the immense difference between what happened in Alaska and Sandy??

Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,503,087 times
Quote:
I repeat the question. Why would a GOP ever ask for assistance from the Feds when they idealogiically are against. I'm ignoring what has transpired and whthere they are getting it or will eventually get it as I do not know the particulars. I'm not partisan at all. I'm just wondering IF Alaska has asked for aid and if so I simply asking is that not hypocritical?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
Katrina victims got massive bailouts, more than any other natural disaster victim in US history. Bush was the Bailout King with a complete disregard for the US Constitution. Obama only spends federal dollars on family and friends.
Once again from the link (which you folks consistently refuse to read)...
The Federal Emergency Management Agency decided the individual flood damage was not "of the severity and magnitude" to qualify for FEMA money, said FEMA spokeswoman Luci Anne Phillips.
The preliminary damage assessment was that about 25 houses were destroyed, another 25 sustained major damage, 300 received minor damage and the rest were just affected by the storm somehow, Madden said.
The preliminary damage assessment was that about 25 houses were destroyed, another 25 sustained major damage, 300 received minor damage and the rest were just affected by the storm somehow, Madden said.
Read more here: Anchorage: FEMA denies federal aid to Southcentral Alaska homeowners, but the state money available | State News | ADN.com

Now do you really want to compare 25 homes with the damage to New Oreans or New Jersey, New York and Connecticut or the $5,000,000.00 given out in Ohia, Kentucky and Tennessee in 2012?

For a complete list:

Utah Severe Storm and Flooding (DR-4088) | FEMA.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies