Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I second that. People who are so passionately opposed to labor unions need to make better sense to support their cause, or please go away.
I am NOT against unions, I am against closed shops.

Unions are fine, but they shouldn't strong arm, or coerce people into joining. If someone wants to join, then they join, if someone DOESN'T want to join, then they should not be forced to join, just to work somewhere. It's organized extortion. "If you want to work here, you have to join the union and pay is XXX dollars a week taken directly from your check, whether you want to or not". That in MY book, is organized extortion, or blackmail, "If you don't join, you can't work here".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
I second that. People who are so passionately opposed to labor unions need to make better sense to support their cause, or please go away.
How about this:

If unions add true value to a worker then they don't need laws to protect them. Workers will want to voluntarily join such a fine organization.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
And the ones who were fired lived

Good for them
That is the second time I've seen this posted. Please elaborate.

I lived in WV during the Massey Energy/Big Branch explosion - lot of families torn apart for a corporation that had incurred safety problems in the past. They were found to be violating federal rules with regard to ventilation and other things in the Big Branch Mine.

So I'm curious ~ what do you mean?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
FINALLY...our beautiful state moves into the 21st century and can begin to rebuild and compete for jobs!

Unless you actually live in Michigan and can say that you have seen first hand what the blatant corruption and unrealistic and unsustainable demands of the labor unions have done to our state economically, don't come on here and regurgitate the mantra of the Kool-aid drinkers. Today is actually a great day for Michigan. If only it had happened before the mass exodus of hundreds of thousands of blue collar jobs...

But hey, better late than never.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
It means they were the canary in the mine so to speak. If I work in a place where I know there are dangerous safety violations that could put my life in jeopardy then i blow the whistle until something is done or i quit and find a safer place to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is the second time I've seen this posted. Please elaborate.

I lived in WV during the Massey Energy/Big Branch explosion - lot of families torn apart for a corporation that had incurred safety problems in the past. They were found to be violating federal rules with regard to ventilation and other things in the Big Branch Mine.

So I'm curious ~ what do you mean?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Quote:
It's simple...

Freedom of choice.

The "right to choose".

Liberals are big on the right to choose like a woman's right to choose an abortion. But liberals and democrats don't want people to have the choice when it comes to joining a union.

So in other words, liberals want the right to choose what Americans have the right to choose.

Liberals have convenient thinking.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 PM

88,970 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
It's simple...

Freedom of choice.

The "right to choose".

Liberals are big on the right to choose like a woman's right to choose an abortion. But liberals and democrats don't want people to have the choice when it comes to joining a union.

So in other words, liberals want the right to choose what Americans have the right to choose.
In other words, liberals are... fascists.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $30.80 per hour worked in September 2012, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Wages and salaries averaged $21.32 per hour worked and accounted for 69.2 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $9.48 and accounted for the remaining 30.8 percent. Total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $28.95 per hour worked in September 2012.

State and local government employers spent an average of $41.56 per hour worked for employee compensation in September 2012. Wages and salaries averaged $26.91 per hour and accounted for 64.7 percent of compensation costs, while benefits averaged $14.65 per hour worked and accounted for the remaining 35.3 percent. Total compensation costs for management, professional, and related occupations, which represent approximately half of all state and local government employment, averaged $50.43 per hour worked. Average hourly compensation costs were $28.97 for office and administrative support occupations.
Employer Costs for Employee Compensation news release text

Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mexican trucks are now rolling across the US and not a word from the left.
Unions are hardly part of the real left. While I'm still a fan of unions that doesn't mean I can't see the innate problems with them, or any organization that pretends to support labor including the business friendly Democratic party. It was pointed out early in this thread that Clinton, Biden, and others who have postured themselves as "friends of labor" haven't really done the laboring classes in America any favors. But, to hear some on this forum you'd think that all political life is simply black or white. I'd also guess that many people don't really read much from the various alternative news sites or they'd know that the growing view in America's left OR right is that we have been taken to the cleaners by BOTH parties.

This is part of the national dilemma, are we all so easily defined by our allegiances to those who don't beat us down but also don't give us a hand up. The two political parties are now more than ever pandering to their own media made constituency not the U.S. populace as a whole. The traditional left wing in America has long been a critic of what it calls "business Unionism", in other words a union that tends to get along by going along. To the political conservatives there is the suspicion that ALL liberals are dupes, fools, and godless heathens, ditto for those on the liberal side of the fence thinking that ALL conservatives are equally duped by a Republican elite that equates god, the military, and all things of virtue with the likes of Mitt Romney.

what isn't so obvious to many CD posters is the fact that most American's in the working class feel that they have been abandoned by BOTH parties. Bush Sr began the fast tracking of NAFTA and Bill Clinton took the free trade reins from Bush to ram rod it through to the satisfaction of his supporters in the world of Wall Street. Nothing is black or white in this nations politics, I'd venture a guess that most american's can see the hijacking of our government by a corporate elite as being the status quo of modern day U.S. politics. Whether you see yourself as being on the left or right of things, one outstanding fact remains, neither the left or right runs America.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In other words, liberals are... fascists.
Liberals are fascist
intended to mean "oppressive", "intolerant", "genocidal", "dictatorial", "racist", or "aggressive" – all concepts that are allegedly inspired by ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies