Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:54 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a joke at first.I mean, it reads like an onion piece. However, the more I think about it, with all the unquestioned conspiracy theories, the blind allegiance to the predictions of Rove and Morris, the more I believe the study has some real truth to it..

Quote:
The results of a 4 year study show that Americans who obtain their news from Fox News channel have an average IQ of 80, which represents a 20 point deficit when compared to the U.S. national average of 100. IQ, or intelligence quotient, is the international standard of assessing intelligence.

Researchers at The Intelligence Institute, a conservative non-profit group, tested 5,000 people using a series of tests that measure everything from cognitive aptitude to common sense and found that people who identified themselves as Fox News viewers and 'conservative' had, on average, significantly lower intelligent quotients. Fox Viewers represented 2,650 members of the test group
-----
Test subjects who received their news from other outlets or reported they do not watch the news scored an average IQ of 104, compared to 80 for Fox News viewers.

Lead researcher, P. Nichols, explains, "Less intelligent animals rely on instinct when confronted by something which they do not understand. This is an ancient survival reaction all animals, including humans, exhibit. It's a very simple phenomenon, really; think about a dog being afraid of a vacuum cleaner. He doesn't know what a vacuum is or if it may harm him, so he becomes agitated and barks at it. Less intelligent humans do the same thing. Concepts that are too complex for them to understand, may frighten or anger them."

He continues, "Fox News' content is presented at an elementary school level and plays directly into the fears of the less educated and less intelligent."
Intelligence Institute Study shows Fox News viewers have an IQ that is 20 points lower than the U.S. National average. - Yahoo! News

Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Even to this liberal this sounds quite Snopeseque.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Even to this liberal this sounds quite Snopeseque.

lol..it does doesn't it? It even goes on to assure those mentally challenged Fox viewers they can still lead productive lives..

Quote:
The researchers said that an IQ of 80 is well above the score of 70, which is where psychiatrists diagnose mental retardation. P. Nichols says an IQ of 80 will not limit anyone's ability to lead happy, fulfilling lives. The study did not conclude if Fox News contributed to lowering IQ or if it attracts less intelligent humans.
P. Nichols concludes that he wasn't shocked by the studies' results, rather how dramatic their range. "Several previous studies show that self-identified conservatives are less intelligent than self-identified moderates. We have never seen such a homogeneous group teetering so close to special needs levels."
This isn't the first study to have found Fox News viewers the most uninformed though..

Study Finds Fox News Viewers Least Informed Of All Viewers

Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
It's the "Fear and Patriotism" channel. Every single story taps into emotional responses from the viewers using one of these two themes. Once emotions take over, the brain stops working correctly.

Don't be fooled. Recognize when you are being manipulated to feel afraid or to feel patriotic.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I thought this was a joke at first.I mean, it reads like an onion piece. However, the more I think about it, with all the unquestioned conspiracy theories, the blind allegiance to the predictions of Rove and Morris, the more I believe the study has some real truth to it..

Intelligence Institute Study shows Fox News viewers have an IQ that is 20 points lower than the U.S. National average. - Yahoo! News
Doesn't take much to fool ............

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-09-2012 at 04:43 AM..

Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
It is odd. I know many intelligent and successful people that watch Fox. Good people, in fact.

Then I go back to one of my favorite quotes: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

R.I.P. George

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Study: liberals have a continuous need to feel good about themselves by calling others stupid. It's understandable when we realize that liberals dominate in fields such as art history, education ethnic studies, etc., while conservatives dominate in engineering, economics, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
No surprise. The question is, do dumb people watch Fox? Or does watching Fox make you dumb?

It's a "chicken or egg" thing!
Yep. Inconclusive..

Quote:
The study did not conclude if Fox News contributed to lowering IQ or if it attracts less intelligent humans.
I should think a combination of both..

Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
It would be pretty hard to believe the AVERAGE is 80. I mean, FOX viewers freak me out as much as the next guy, but 80 is nearly mentally retarded.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
It would be pretty hard to believe the AVERAGE is 80. I mean, FOX viewers freak me out as much as the next guy, but 80 is nearly mentally retarded.
No, the average is 100. 70 is the retardation level. Fox News viewers average is 80.

Quote:
The researchers said that an IQ of 80 is well above the score of 70, which is where psychiatrists diagnose mental retardation. P. Nichols says an IQ of 80 will not limit anyone's ability to lead happy, fulfilling lives.
At 80 or so,they can still function in society and act like blind zombies with their Fox News talking points on boards like this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies