Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Give me Merle, Johnny and George.
Among the last words attributed to Buddy Rich, the greatest drummer of all time, when asked by the nurse if he's allergic to anything: "Yes...country and western music..."

Bless his soul.

George Jones. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
CMT : Music Video : Okie From Muskogee : Merle Haggard

The classic anti-protest protest song.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,728 times
To understand John Lennon's legacy you have to understand that his music was transformational during the 1950s and 60s meaning it revolutionized the music industry in style and sound. What makes him a legend is 400 years from now when they do a timeline of the history of music John Lennon's influence will mark the exact point where roll and roll was expanded to new frontiers. You don't have to like his music to acknowledge the fact that the world of music took a whole new direction because of his influence and talent. The number of people liking a band or song writer has nothing to do with the making of a legend. Making a lasting mark on the timeline of musical history is what it takes to put you in the legend/legacy category.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
CMT : Music Video : Okie From Muskogee : Merle Haggard

The classic anti-protest protest song.
Another dumb drunk. Country music is filled with them.

Corrrection: Talentless dumb drunks.

Are you sure Hank done it this way?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
To understand his legacy you have to understand that his music was transformational during the 1950s and 60s meaning it revolutionized the music industry in style and sound. What makes him a legend is 400 years from now when they do a timeline of the history of music John Lennon's influence will mark the exact point where roll and roll was expanded to new frontiers. You don't have to like his music to acknowledge the fact that the world of music took a whole new direction because of his influence and talent. The number of people liking a band or song writer has nothing to do with the making of a legend. Making a lasting mark on the timeline of musical history is what it takes to put you in that catergory.
You're trying to talk sense to people who like "Honky Tonk, Ba-Donk-A-Donk."

1,520 posts, read 1,873,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
He's often held on a pedestal by those who have leftist ideals, but he was a women beater and garnered millions of dollars during the course of his career. Kinda ironic since he made a sing decrying material possessions. Why is he still revered by people?
Well Elvis had right wing ideals and was at least a little racist and had bad habits including drugs. So why is still revered by people?

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
I would never make excuses for beating a wife or girlfriend, or anyone for that matter, but I think it was in part due to the drugs, instant success and fame and a deep insecurity beneath it all. I do like some of his music but was never a huge Beatles fan. The Who's drummer also had issues with beating his beautiful young wife, breaking her nose three times and in part I believe it was the deep insecurity, drug/alcohol fueld rages he fell under. But it does put a damper on admiration of him, even if he was entertaining and a wonderful drummer for the Who. His was a sad story, a love story and a horror story, and his bio by T. Fletcher, "Moon", is worth a read. Too much too soon for young poor Brits, but no excuse.

And rumor has it that one of Lennon's closest aids admitted that Lennon admired Ronald Reagan...the left would howl at that one if it were true. Still Lennon/McCarney were two of the best song writers in rock history.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Way over the Beatles fer sure. Never did like them. Some folks do deify Lennon. Whatever. I think he was just another scroungy Hippy. Tripping on Acid and singing about it. Feel the same way about Neil Young. Can't stand the guy or his "music".
I have a strong military background, my Dad spent 3 hard tours in Viet Nam. Protest music makes my skin crawl as do them that wrote it, so Lennon will never be in my music collection. Can't see any appeal to the music.
Some folks like it. More power to them. I'm only 48 so my music tastes pick up in the 70s and 80s anyway. The 60s stuff never tripped my trigger.
I never could stand Neil Young and his whiney, tinny voice drove me off the road. Oh but I love Sweet Home Alabama in response to Neil's pathetic "Southern Man" dribble. Now Led Zeppelin......there is a group.

I supported the troops during V.N and to my flaming by protesters at airports, LOL. I still loved the music of the 60's and 70's and did not feel compeled to follow their instructions on self destruction. My dad a cop and he hated the music like you do. He hated Jimmy Hendrix but he did not know Hendrix was a V.N vet and was against the red Chinese army...neither did a lot of the morons in San Francisco. He was a premier guitarist and left too early...damn the alchemists. Too bad leftist politics demand such loyalty from artists.....

Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Among the last words attributed to Buddy Rich, the greatest drummer of all time, when asked by the nurse if he's allergic to anything: "Yes...country and western music..."

Bless his soul.

George Jones. Yikes!
Buddy would be happy today. 90% of the crap called country today is insipid pop crap. I am stuck with a single country legends station.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
He's often held on a pedestal by those who have leftist ideals, but he was a women beater and garnered millions of dollars during the course of his career. Kinda ironic since he made a sing decrying material possessions. Why is he still revered by people?

i just like his music.... couldn't care less about him personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies