Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times

Advertisements

This thread is about Lennon's legacy..Where do republicans and the NRA fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
As much as some of you want to make this country out as some sort of pit of hedonism, we're really quite prudish and hung up on all things sex. We're very unsophisticated and this is why there are still so many of you who believe if someone is unfaithful in their personal lives, they cannot possibly carry out their jobs effectively and they must lie about everything else. I sometimes think you people must have lived insulated lives.
While I basically agree a friend of mine once stated he would not do business with an adulterer. His reasoning was that if a man would cheat on his wife he would most likely, given the chance, cheat him too.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
What do you think about this song.

John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - YouTube
The song and the 8-9 global billboards that John Lennon and his wife rented to go along with its release combined to be a very powerful anti-Vietnam War statement back in its time. This video with the updated images still has a powerful message. As the billboards said:The war is over (if you want it). I guess as a society we want war because we sure as heck don't do much to try and change the root causes that lead us into wars...like heavily investing in alternate energy so we're not dependent on the Middle East oil for starters.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-09-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Republicans have spent the last 40 years working to reduce the USA to a feudal, violent society. With this last election it appears things are finally changing for the better.

The NRA spends its millions opposing ANY form of sensible gun control, even something as weak as the Brady Law.

When will America wake up to gun violence? - CNN.com

The Australian federal government persuaded all states and territories to implement tough new gun control laws. Under the National Firearms Agreement (NFA), firearms legislation was tightened throughout the country. National registration of guns was imposed and it became illegal to hold certain long guns that might be used in mass shootings.
The gun ban was backed up by a mandatory buy-back program that substantially reduced gun possession in Australia.
iReporter: 'AK-47 a weapon for war'
The effect was that both gun suicides and homicides (as well as total suicides and homicides) fell. Importantly, while there were 13 mass shootings in Australia during the period of 1979--96, there have been none in the sixteen years since.
In 1996, then-Prime Minister John Howard stated that the "whole scheme is designed to reduce the number of guns in the community and make Australia a safer place to live." The Australian attorney general praised the cooperation and responsibility of Australian firearms owners with the gun controls and buy-back, saying, "they have been paid cash for their firearms - giving our nation a welcome Christmas gift by removing unnecessary high-powered firearms from the community. It offers all of us the real chance of a safer festive season and New Year."
Yep, forget about Social Security and Medicare, guns have become the new third rail of American politics. I have to credit those degenerates over at the NRA for that. They've done a masterful job at manipulating the yokels on this. Its now the height of political incorrectness to state that perhaps we should make it a bit more difficult to acquire semi-automatic weapons after another of these tragedies befall Americans. You may as well take a crap on the American flag before you utter such an offensive sentiment.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have a strong military background, my Dad spent 3 hard tours in Viet Nam. Protest music makes my skin crawl as do them that wrote it, so Lennon will never be in my music collection. Can't see any appeal to the music.
I can understand where you're coming from but have you ever ask him what the guys played over there? It wasn't Kate Smith singing God Bless America.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Screw the Beatles.

I prefer the Stones.
Why do people always assume that if you like a certain group, you have to hate another? The Beatles AND the Stones are great. But as great as the Stones are, they're simply incomparable to the Beatles in terms of just about everything, but especially songwriting and experimentation.

Back to Lennon...i don't give a damn about his personal life. But that man wrote songs with such beautiful and vivid imagination that you can't help but to admire his work. Lucy in the Sky, I am the Walrus, A Day in the Life, I'm Only Sleeping, Come Together...those songs are as brilliant as it gets. Give the man his due.

That's what i love about him....his MUSICAL legacy. What he did with so and so woman isn't of my concern.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
While I basically agree a friend of mine once stated he would not do business with an adulterer. His reasoning was that if a man would cheat on his wife he would most likely, given the chance, cheat him too.
I have not found that to be true, have you?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do people always assume that if you like a certain group, you have to hate another? The Beatles AND the Stones are great. But as great as the Stones are, they're simply incomparable to the Beatles in terms of just about everything, but especially songwriting and experimentation.

Back to Lennon...i don't give a damn about his personal life. But that man wrote songs with such beautiful and vivid imagination that you can't help but to admire his work. Lucy in the Sky, I am the Walrus, A Day in the Life, I'm Only Sleeping, Come Together...those songs are as brilliant as it gets. Give the man his due.

That's what i love about him....his MUSICAL legacy. What he did with so and so woman isn't of my concern.
The simple truth about McCartney and Lennon is that they never achieved the artistry separately that they did together. Lennon kept McCartney from being too sappy and McCartney kept Lennon from getting too weird and experimental.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Thanks to this thread, I spent the entire afternoon listening to my collection of Beatles music played by symphony orchestras around the world. Anyone who doubts Lennon (and McCartney's) music won't endure the centuries isn't paying attention.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Thanks to this thread, I spent the entire afternoon listening to my collection of Beatles music played by symphony orchestras around the world. Anyone who doubts Lennon (and McCartney's) music won't endure the centuries isn't paying attention.
Wait, do you not agree that the music of Justin Bieber, The Black Eyed Peas and Taylor Swift will not be played for centuries to come?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies