Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
He took a oath to protect you and your country knowing the dangers that he could face in combat, including getting killed. We owe it to him to get him out.
Really? Was he guaranteed protection from prosecution and legal assistance if he broke the law(s) of other nations? Is that part of the swearing in ceremony?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hmmmm, now there is a likely leaner analogy.
I have pondered this issue: Is "leaner" conceivably the most vapid label ever assigned to anybody in the history of internet arguments?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There are some 150,000 veterans serving in U.S. prisons and this veteran is supposed to move to the head of the line of our concerns?
I would like to see the answer to this question.

Of course, what draws their "concern" is the fact that it involves Mexico (typical rightie hatred for that country), a gun (typical rightie fetish), the military (another fetish), and a chance to smear Obama as being unconcerned about Americans at the expense of foreign countries.

Suppose some former Marine was thrown into a Thai jail for drug possession or underage prostitution - would they be clamoring to "rescue their man down"?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I have pondered this issue: Is "leaner" conceivably the most vapid label ever assigned to anybody in the history of internet arguments?
There's no pondering in determining that the guy who persistently uses the term as if it's meaningful or powerful is one of the most vapid arguers present.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The analogy involves two things that are illegal to bring into Mexico. One: certain types of weapons. Two: certain types of drugs. There is nothing intrinsic about either item that makes the violation of one law acceptable and the other one not.

Apparently, you, OP, and some others support a person breaking Mexico's laws regarding firearms, am I right? Are you equally willing to support a former Marine who would take illegal drugs into Mexico? Yes or no?

Apparently to some, to question the actions of military personnel and the breaking of the laws of other countries is <cough> <cough> unpatriotic!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
He took a oath to protect you and your country knowing the dangers that he could face in combat, including getting killed. We owe it to him to get him out.
He broke the laws of a foreign country. The fact that he is ex-US military is moot.

Do the crime, do the time. That is what conservatives tell us all the time when it comes to things like illegal immigration, pot, etc.

Is being an ex Marine suppossed to give you carte blanche to violate any law that you want with no consequences?

Last edited by Sco; 12-10-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Yes it is. It's the same McClatchy story from the first post.
Oh, ok, I'm wondering why the OP throws this Obama vomiting crap out here then?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Has anyone thought about why he was going through Mexico in the first place? He was on a trip to try and heal the emotional scars he had from serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So we've got all the rah-rah he's a serviceman boosters for this guy. And we've got all the rah-rah gun types who are arguing about what type of weapon he had and if he should have taken it into Mexico.

But not one word from either about WHY he needed to take the trip. Because our governments sent him to fight in two wars and he (like thousands of other combat vets) has emotional issues to deal with. PTSD. It's an ugly, ugly thing and it's time we started paying attention to it. We send these men to war and they come home with issues which are ignored. By the very government that used them as soldiers. Personally, I think it's way past time we started helping every single active service member and veteran with PTSD issues.

But...... what do I know? According to the names I get called here I'm a left wing, whacko. And, according to the name callers, that's some horrible thing that equates with being unpatriotic. That's right. I'm so unpatriotic I think we should help heal this man deal with his PTSD because we put him into that situation when he served his country. The flag-wavers want him excused simply because he's a Marine. Weird.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-10-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
We also would never leave one of our own. You don't leave a man down. No one left behind. These left wing cowards don't know anything about it my friend.
Did he enter Mexico on a sanctioned mission?

No, he did not. He was vacationing. With a shotgun. In a foreign country.

Stupid.

And, notice how his friend, also a former Marine, was allowed to "walk back to the border." So, who was it left him behind?
Is his friend a "left wing coward?"

"Freedom Outpost reported that Hammar and his friend and fellow Marine, Ian McDonough had crossed the border on an innocent surfing trip when Mexican authorities found the shotgun and charged Hammar with possession of a weapon.
McDonough was not arrested and allowed to walk back to the border."

Marine in Mexican jail, family petitions White House for his release - Atlanta Paulding County Republican | Examiner.com

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think this is just anther american in a hell hole prison in a corrupt country.I am not aginst the charge but the treatemnt of their prisoners. The US governamnt does help americans inThai prison but likely they knew what the punishment was. Thsi guy obvious didn't which make a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies