Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'll keep posting this hoping that you people read it.

Freedom of speech is not only for speech that you accept.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
That is exactly the point.

So why are you arguing against the freedom that atheists and others have to express themselves as they see fit or to be free from speech that they don't believe in in public venues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Christmas Flash Mob by Journey of Faith at South Bay Galleria - official video - YouTube

They have a huge job on their hands when so many in our country want this. Maybe even atheists can get into the spirit and be happy, if only for a few moments.
You really did miss the point of the thread, didn't you?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
Quote:

Christmas Flash Mob by Journey of Faith at South Bay Galleria - official video - YouTube

They have a huge job on their hands when so many in our country want this. Maybe even atheists can get into the spirit and be happy, if only for a few moments.
Try not to lie when you enter into these discussions.

I didn't watch the video, but it appears to be a video of private citizens doing some religious activity on private property.

There's nothing wrong with that. Private property is where this kind of thing belongs. Atheists have on interest in preventing private religious activities on private property.

Once you get the government involved in pushing religion on people, that's a major constitutional violation.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,253,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Believing that something doesn't exist is not a belief.
??? This doesn't even make sense.

Except as a double-down of your original condescension.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM

23,436 posts, read 17,113,855 times
It should be a colossal joke to the complaining atheists to see all these people paying homage to a celestial fantasy. Why would they want to supress religious expression in others.

Do you know if you admit to being a christian or jew you can be put to death in some countries?

God bless all athiests and a Merry Christmas to each and everyone of them!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,467,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Nice deflection.

This is off-topic.

Not at all, this thread is about persecution. I am reminding people there are all kinds of persecution out there when it comes to religion and non-religion. No one has the corner on it. Keep that in mind.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sadly, it is pretty clear reading many of the posts on this forum that this is the case.

In this season when we purportedly celebrate the birth of someone who is honored for attempting to bring love of one's neighbor to the forefront, maybe, just maybe it is time to regard that "log" in our own eyes.

"GENEVA -- Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven countries can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued Monday.
But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States that favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders."

'Like lesser Americans': Atheists face discrimination, persecution, report says - World News
I live in St. Louis County, Missouri, where people seem to respect eachother and avoid talking about religion, or dislike of it, with people who do not request to hear about it. It's nice...very mature adults here.

I do, however, salivate and smile when people talk about hating atheists on forums. It makes my heart soar with joy. It provides me with the most pleasurable opportunity to insult and mock them in creative ways. I wish more people would do it. I fantasize about someone spouting fire and brimstone on a street corner and explaining how non-religious persons can have no morals, so I can rip'em a new a-hole.

I suspect that's how many atheists feel. Things would not go well for theists if genuine laws were enacted against atheists that worked (not like the unconstitutional ones there are now). I'd be thrilled. Wheeee! endless, guilt-free, insulting everyone in sight! Yipee Ki-yay motha fu**er!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times
Quote:

The occurrence in the video is a beautiful thing. I might've started singing too if I knew the words. Regarding the section in bold, I like complaining. Complaining is a highly entertaining activity to me. To each his or her own.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,468,903 times
I am an atheist and could care less about this right now. What I care about is jobs and getting this nation back on track.

Of course, religious side supply economics and dataphobes are in the way of an actual discussion.

So, perhaps I am wrong, I do care about this since they are preventing progress.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,909,861 times
most atheist are in the closet about it, because religion is personal... I would say about 3 percent of the population is atheist and honest and open about it, but I would go so far as to say 10-15 percent of the population is atheist and not out about it due to social connotations.. there is an unspoken but luckily unasked or mentioned notion that to be a pillar in your community, a family man, or woman, that you also have to have a given faith in god... I think there's many who do not, but are private about this, and let society assume they are, or just avoid the issue all together..
My boss is a good example.. if you met him, you would think he was mormon or christian, but upon knowing him, he has 3 kids, and a wife that stays at home. he has confided in me that he is an atheist, and that his wife is as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies