Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
most atheist are in the closet about it, because religion is personal... I would say about 3 percent of the population is atheist and honest and open about it, but I would go so far as to say 10-15 percent of the population is atheist and not out about it due to social connotations.. there is an unspoken but luckily unasked or mentioned notion that to be a pillar in your community, a family man, or woman, that you also have to have a given faith in god... I think there's many who do not, but are private about this, and let society assume they are, or just avoid the issue all together..
My boss is a good example.. if you met him, you would think he was mormon or christian, but upon knowing him, he has 3 kids, and a wife that stays at home. he has confided in me that he is an atheist, and that his wife is as well.
I think most people don't care what your boss is. As long as he is a good man who really cares? Atheists are only undercover because they do not go anywhere to say they are atheist, they do not have a church or anything else that identifies them as atheist. If they don't say it, who would ever know? Maybe some are paranoid about being looked down on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It is actually more constitutional for a teacher to pray in the classroom than for the teacher being prohibited from prayer.
I trust you would still feel that a teacher should be able to lead a classroom in prayer if the prayer was one to Vishnu.

Last edited by Data1000; 12-11-2012 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Grammar Correction

Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I think most people don't care what your boss is. As long as he is a good man who really cares? Atheists are only undercover because they do not go anywhere to say they are atheist, they do not have a church or anything else that identifies them as atheist. If they don't say it, who would ever know? Maybe some are paranoid about being looked down on.
Where I live, we wouldn't be looked down upon, most likely. However, there is still that whole factor of:

Christian/Muslim A: Well, my father's in heaven now. I gotta be a good person ta keep'em happy. I know he's still watchin' me from up there. I was so traumatized until I reminded myself that the good Lord's a-takin' care a' him. So...which church/place of worship do you go to?

Atheist B: Uh......ah.........uh....I have to go now....

Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
well that's kind of the point.. and what the topic of this thread is.. many people are atheist, that you wouldn't think...and many of them keep it private BECAUSE of believer's negative feelings towards atheists. I have met christians who have personally attacked me for being an atheist, saying that I lack moral character, and any form of moral compass due to not believing in god.. So, to keep this sort of conversation or thoughts on believers behalf at bay.. they are not out about their atheism or disbelief. You're absolutely right, it shouldn't matter, but apparently it does.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
..many people are atheist, that you wouldn't think..
It's funny because it's true. Some people equate "religious" with "good". Now I have no idea if people meeting me think "that woman must be a good Christian since she is so nice, polite and helpful to everyone", but if they do they would be wrong.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's funny because it's true. Some people equate "religious" with "good". Now I have no idea if people meeting me think "that woman must be a good Christian since she is so nice, polite and helpful to everyone", but if they do they would be wrong.
Wow, in this thread, we learned that atheists are people with with manners.

Treat people nice, crack a joke, and they will like you.

Who knows, you may even run across a Baptist, and even they have a sense of humor.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sadly, it is pretty clear reading many of the posts on this forum that this is the case.

In this season when we purportedly celebrate the birth of someone who is honored for attempting to bring love of one's neighbor to the forefront, maybe, just maybe it is time to regard that "log" in our own eyes.
We celebrate the birth of Christ as Messiah. Immanuel, "God with us." Savior. He came to save man from his sins (through his death on the Cross). The "perfect sacrifice." The "Lamb of God."

That is why we celebrate his birth. Unbelief is a sin. Christ condemned unbelief.

I do not agree with persecution of unbelievers anymore than I believe in the persecution of Christians, which is also quite prevalent on C-D. But let's not reduce the reason why Jesus came to simply a message of "love." That diminishes Him. He is LORD.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No we aren't. The problem is liberals are selective with what freedom and liberty are. For example, according to the left gays have a right to get married, women have a right to an abortion; but I don't have a right to smoke marijuana (Dems have been just as complicit in the war on drugs as the GOP has), I don't have a right to my own income. Until the left corrects their hypocrisy, I'll never take them seriously with regard to individual rights.
Bingo! Enter, Barack Obama, and Elizabeth Warren. "You didn't build that!" (Corollary: "You didn't earn that!") That is the "collectivist" meme that has taken hold of the Democrats, and it is a cancer that threatens our liberty.

But that's a topic for another thread.

There is a lot of persecution that goes on here on C-D, and it isn't just religious. It is persecution of anybody who does not believe as the "Progressives" do. Conservatives are high on the list to be persecuted, ridiculed, maligned, shamed, and belittled, and much of it because we are also Christians (though some may not be).

On topic, as the thread title includes, "others Face Persecution."

Old 12-11-2012, 04:37 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I trust you would still feel that a teacher should be able to lead a classroom in prayer if the prayer was one to Vishnu.
If she were Hindu.

It would be perfectly constitutional, since the teacher is not making a law, but is practicing free expression.

I'm not saying that it would be the right thing to do, but it would be constitutional.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Where I live, we wouldn't be looked down upon, most likely. However, there is still that whole factor of:

Christian/Muslim A: Well, my father's in heaven now. I gotta be a good person ta keep'em happy. I know he's still watchin' me from up there. I was so traumatized until I reminded myself that the good Lord's a-takin' care a' him. So...which church/place of worship do you go to?

Atheist B: Uh......ah.........uh....I have to go now....
Until recently, my father was an atheist. We were raised Roman Catholic.

We celebrated Christmas, and our Christmases were some of my best childhood memories. Driving to the Christmas tree lot, picking a tree....wonderful memories.

He was never "persecuted".

It's as simple as saying "I don't practice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies